• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 Caliper Rewind Tool

Looking to change the rear brake pads on my 2006 W203 with Sports Pack. Can anyone advise a suitable claiper reqind tool.

I'm considering Pagid Disc Brake Spreader (0-65mm)

Would that be any good?

This is not a re-wind tool as it is just pushing the pads back against the piston. It is a spreader as in the description. If your rear brakes are the same as on my C320 then they do not winding back just a gentle push. I bought a spreader (good quality metal version) for circa £8 from eBay.

Looking to change the rear brake pads on my 2006 W203 with Sports Pack. Can anyone advise a suitable claiper reqind tool.

I'm considering Pagid Disc Brake Spreader (0-65mm)

Would that be any good?

If you can't push pistons back in manually with the handle of a hammer, use a g glamp and a piece of wood on the piston so not to damage it.
Remember to take the lid off fluid reservoir and put towels/rags around it to catch any overflow fluid when you push piston in.

If you can't push pistons back in manually with the handle of a hammer, use a g glamp and a piece of wood on the piston so not to damage it.
Remember to take the lid off fluid reservoir and put towels/rags around it to catch any overflow fluid when you push piston in.

Agreed.

I have a large G-Clamp in my garage for just this purpose.

Agreed.

I have a large G-Clamp in my garage for just this purpose.

Indeed, so do I.

The tool I bought is very slim and does help do get the pads pushed back before removing the caliper.

The tool I bought is very slim and does help do get the pads pushed back before removing the caliper.

Not once have I had a problem doing this, even with particularly worn disks.

Usually a couple of taps with a copper hide or worst case a long handled screwdriver gets the caliper off with relative ease.

Better still to avoid overspill and probable contamination of surrounding paint, get a syringe and pull out some brake fluid from the reservoir so as to make some space for the fluid when you push back the pistons.
Another solution is to loosen the bleed nut with a suitable plastic pipe over it and bottle to recover the excess brake fluid when pushing back the pistons. Using this method avoids forcing dirty brake fluid with particles floating around back up the piping contaminating the (expensive) ABS control block.

Thanks for the input guys....job done with a screwdriver :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom