• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W204 audio 20 upgrade

Fergalw204

Car
C220 sport facelift
I have a facelift W204 but sadly it’s equipped with the substandard Audio 20 and I would like to upgrade it so can take advantage of Apple CarPlay.

I have seen plenty of android systems around but I haven't yet seen one on an facelift w204 and I’m not sure these offer a great CarPlay experience but would like to know people experiences before deciding which way to go.

Has anyone made a similar upgrade, did you go for an android screen or go for a double din and remove the audio 20 all together.

1. I had the Audio20 replaced with COMAND NTG4.7 on my 2013 C180. It was done by Comand UK who did a great job, but it's not a cheap upgrade. And while it worked very well, there's no Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, or live traffic

2. You can certainly get Android 'pass-through' systems for the W204 facelift, just Google 10.25" and W204. Not my cup of tea, but some people like them.

3. The best thing though is probably to just get an Apple CarPlay / Android Auto adapter for your existing Audio20, e.g.: https://www.commandonline.co.uk/aftermarket-carplay-androidauto.html

If you have the Harman sat nav unit in the glovebox, then you can replace this with a module from K-tech which gives you Android Auto and Carplay for around £200. I have one and it's been brilliant.

If you have the Harman sat nav unit in the glovebox, then you can replace this with a module from K-tech which gives you Android Auto and Carplay for around £200. I have one and it's been brilliant.

This looks to be the best solution and best bang for buck.

I'm pretty sure I have the correct port in the glove box, I currently have the Becker nav unit in there, is this the same as the Harman unit?

With this K-tech module does the bluetooth calls come through the module rather then directly through the audio 20?

This looks to be the best solution and best bang for buck.

I'm pretty sure I have the correct port in the glove box, I currently have the Becker nav unit in there, is this the same as the Harman unit?

With this K-tech module does the bluetooth calls come through the module rather then directly through the audio 20?
Yes indeed. The K-Tech module acts as a conduit so you switch the Audio20 unit to 'Nav' and control everything through Android Auto/Carplay - this includes 'Hey Google' to control everything - split screen nav/Spotify etc. I love mine and yes, it offers really good bang 4 buck.

Yes indeed. The K-Tech module acts as a conduit so you switch the Audio20 unit to 'Nav' and control everything through Android Auto/Carplay - this includes 'Hey Google' to control everything - split screen nav/Spotify etc. I love mine and yes, it offers really good bang 4 buck.
Excellent, I just need to repair/mod the control knob now so i can use it, the shaft has snapped.

Do you get a mic with the module for calling or does it use the cars inbuilt mic.

Hi, I have this module and when clicking the navi button on my centre console it just shows a screen saying ‘no navigation’ I can connect to the car play module from my phone but it dosent seem to work with the car. I have a c220 with NTG 4.5. Anyone else had this?

it uses the inbuilt one
I am tempted to get a K tech module to replace the Becker unit in glove box. Once fitted can you still listen to a cd disc and car radio on the dash buttons or does all music have to be steamed via module from my smartphone?

Yes you can still listen to CD's - TBH I thought I would but don't bother anymore - all my music is on my phones internal storage so I just use Android Auto now for everything.

Realise I'm mega late to this thread but I removed my Audio20 unit in my W204 and installed an aftermarket Android unit. It works perfectly, I have all Android apps available like Youtube, Waze for navigation, I use the VRadio app to listen to loads of radio stations and can stream media from my Android phone with no issues. Phone calls etc all work perfectly. I fitted it in 2020 and it's still running fine :)PXL_20201018_215719515.jpgPXL_20201018_215732747.jpgPXL_20201018_215812209.jpg

Then there is the poor rear door speakers on both pre and facelift is a diabolical fake tweeter trim in the top of the door card .

And to top it off Mercedes cost cutters actually down graded the speaker to just a mid in the FACELIFT 🤔

Screenshot_20240503_102806_Chrome.jpg

Realise I'm mega late to this thread but I removed my Audio20 unit in my W204 and installed an aftermarket Android unit. It works perfectly, I have all Android apps available like Youtube, Waze for navigation, I use the VRadio app to listen to loads of radio stations and can stream media from my Android phone with no issues. Phone calls etc all work perfectly. I fitted it in 2020 and it's still running fine :)View attachment 156393View attachment 156395View attachment 156396
Sorry but that looks like something from the Early Learning Centre.

Oooh....harsh!

Sorry but that looks like something from the Early Learning Centre.
Lol 😛😛 Fair comment 😁

Still, means my wife & I are using a proper sat mean with traffic data. My car didn't even have COMMAND when we bought it 5 years ago.

Coming to Merc from a beemer I can say the Merc has been really really reliable and pretty fun to drive but the audio upgrade options are really poor, really poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom