• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W205 USB Port Wattage

doowruc

Car
2015 C220D
I have a 2015 C220D with Audio20, which has the twin USB + maps SD card slot.

I just upgraded to a MagSafe iPhone and the chargers I am looking at all say they need 20W USB.

I cannot find anyt info on the car's USB wattage - I am guessing its only going to be 5W?

Can anyone confirm?

I really don't want to have to use a cigarette lighter charger and have the cover open all the time :/

No sir, the manuals say your iPhone can charge at speeds “up to 20 watts,” not that you need 20 watts. Your iPhone is “smart” so it only takes as little as it needs.

You don’t “need” 20 watts unless you’re running some fancy video streaming and conferencing apps literally all the time you drive.

I bluetooth stream podcasts all the time, make calls occasionally, and use Satnav when I need to, and my iPhone 14 always copes with the modest charge rates of the different motors I use.

Last edited:
Im sure it will be a possibility of 20w peak......not a constant requirement. Traditionally USB-A was limited to 12 watts (5 volts, 2.4 amps) of power anyway. Now with Quick Charge technology a USB-A can deliver power up to 18 watts.

Thanks both, I'll give it a try
I understand the concern but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an iPhone blowing the fuse on a USB-A socket.

It will be 5volts but very unlikely to be just 5 watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom