• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W209 AMG 55 Opinions

mwstewart

Car
CLK63 Coupe, Ferrari 430 Spider, BMW E46 M3 Manual Coupe, 500+bhp Fiesta
Hello all,
My last Mercedes was a W209 270 CDi, a few years ago. I liked the car a lot and I'm now thinking about going back to a CLK, only this time a 55. I'd like to hear some feedback from owners of W209 55s in order to get a feel for the ownership experience.

I know the CLK package overall is very good however I have read quite a few mixed reviews of the 5.5 AMG. One the one hand I've read "the AMG is a world away from even the 500" and in others there is mention that the old 5.5 motor has an extremely linear power/torque curve that leaves you feeling wanting, in which case my main concern is whether it's actually worth going for the AMG at all, and would a later 350 or 500 with the sport package offer something similar? It may sound crazy, but my view of the CLK, even the AMG is not that of a sports car but more of a comfortable cruising car. I'm happy to be proved wrong!

I'd like to hear from owners, and what they think, and also what they are comparing the experience to (previous cars). Previous cars of interest include late M3, S3, S4 etc.

Also, I know the 55 never got fully face lifted (it seems MB only face lifted the interior on the models which still had old engines - 270CDi and AMG 55), but when it did it received the later interior and better brakes - but were there any other improvements that would make it worthwhile to spend the extra?

FYI I wrote many guides whilst I owned the last CLK, including a Facelift centre console upgrade. You can find them here: MWSTEWART.CO.UK | Home

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I've had both the CLK500 (2002) and a CLK55 Cabriolet (2005), I thought my 500 was quick after a De-Cat and running on Super along with H&R suspension and a few other cosmetic mods.. I averaged 22mpg with mixed driving and it was a lovely car albeit one of the 1st CLK W209's...

My 55 on the other hand was a totally different animal, after De-Catting, remap, filters etc it was very lively for a normally aspirated 55 engine. again about 22mpg... The late 388bhp 500 engine is good but I've heard other stories.. call Olly at PCS who knows the V8 engines well.
Also PM Benzdup (I think thats his username) he has an M3 Cab and SLK55 and can give you a good opinion on both....

All in all the AMG is bigger £££ to maintain but a very good car...

Best Regards

Greg

Greg,
Thank you, this is really useful. I had no idea that a new 32 valve engine was introduced in 2007. I see the US models got '550' badges whereas we didn't, so I assumed we had the original 500 power plant.

I see you left the suspension alone on the AMG: how did the standard AMG suspension compare to your 500 on H&R?

Thanks,
Mark

A bit of a change !!
That is either a very expensive beetle or you are a lot richer since selling the cab.

No worries Mark... I actually found the 55 suspension very comfortable, all of the AMG's I've been in are a very quality ride.. The 500 on H&R's was lovely and comfortable and not choppy at all due to being a quality product.. and had a great stance on the SL wheels it ran on...

If it was me and I had the budget, it would be a no brainer for me to go for the AMG, however if your worried about ££ as the AMG parts can be expensive, I'm sure the later 500 388bhp car is lovely... Get the highest spec possible on both cars... However there are many clever people on this forum who have retro-fitted many options i.e (ALPS) on his E55... its virtually fully optioned now due to his expertise. so if you buy a car that doesnt have a certain option, you can possible retro-fit with help from the gurus on here....

Very best of luck...

I have had mine for about 8 months now. I love it, I was worried about the performance side when I bought it because I came from a highly modified MR2 turbo which was very quick. The CLK 55 is a very quick car. Don't be fooled by the stats for 0-60 the car is really quick and you feel it most between 40 - 120. Its very easy to put your foot down and be at speeds where you would lose your licence in seconds. I have a 2003 the hard top version and its got everything I want, large enough back seats to carry 2 adults, a superb stereo system, lots of comfort on long journeys and lots of toys. Its very assured on the road and handles well, but is also comfortable on longer journeys. Its a great all rounder really. If you want a sports car for track days buy a Nobel or a TVR, but if you want to be able to drive to work everyday and still have fun this is the car for you. My commute is about 30 miles and I average 23mpg.

The only downside about the car is the build quality and the cost to run. I have had a few niggley things go wrong like the aircon motors and bonnet sensor. I have also had a major gearbox problem because of the radiator leaking antifreeze and water into the gearbox oil. Servicing is expensive and good garages are hard to find. I have used a couple of recommended places and have not been overly impressed.

Its a very nice car and for me delivers on lots of levels. I just wish it had the build quality of a Lexus.

Greg - Thanks again.

lostinvegas - Thank you. I'm after a great all-rounder that can offer some excitement when I want that, so your experience is backing up the reasons I'm looking at these cars.

PS The gearbox oil cooler issue affects the entire CLK range before circa 53 plate; later cars had a separate gearbox oil cooler.

Here is another one to recommend the 55AMG. As others have said the car is a great everyday car. I've had mine since new in 2003 and have some obervations.
1) the suspension is fine - you don't want to go any harder on London Roads anyway!
2) don't go for 19 inch wheels unless you are prepared for a very hard ride. (Although they look great).
3) The breaks are a strong point on the car for road work but the car is just too heavy for them on the track.

I've looked at other cars - eg the Infiniti coupe as this comes closest to the clk in my view - but have not found anything close to offering the mix of performance, stowage and seats.

PS The car did fail one test three times - it couldn't get over the steepest bend/hill of the hardknott pass!

Here is another one to recommend the 55AMG. As others have said the car is a great everyday car. I've had mine since new in 2003 and have some obervations.
1) the suspension is fine - you don't want to go any harder on London Roads anyway!
2) don't go for 19 inch wheels unless you are prepared for a very hard ride. (Although they look great).
3) The breaks are a strong point on the car for road work but the car is just too heavy for them on the track.

I've looked at other cars - eg the Infiniti coupe as this comes closest to the clk in my view - but have not found anything close to offering the mix of performance, stowage and seats.

PS The car did fail one test three times - it couldn't get over the steepest bend/hill of the hardknott pass!

Thanks Peter,

Was that down to lack of grip in icy or wet conditions?

Hi Mark,

I've had both the CLK500 (2002) and a CLK55 Cabriolet (2005),

That's shocking! Sorry to hear that Greg. You are obliged to be visiting Bluewater AMG meets though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom