W211 E320CDI 2007 facelift front brake pads change: do I need to disable pumps/bleed, how to jack the car up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I admire your patience and persistent. If that were me the job would have been given to a good Indie by the 2nd post!

Getting there:)
Post #39. Those parts circled in blue look rough.
At the very least, rub down that brake pipe with emery paper and coat with grease until its replaced along with that cracking rubber pipe ASAP.

B21.JPG

B22.JPG

B23.JPG

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all the help. Yesterday evening did both sides. Passenger side disc also took about 10 minutes of hammering / penetrating oil spraying to get off. Putting new discs on was very easy. As caliper holding bracket (that also holds brake pads) had to be taken off for disc change I installed brake pads into it before screwing it back - I think seeing what I am doing made it a lot easier to properly install brake pads into it (these types of pads come with thin metal guides that have to be put onto caliper bracket). Even the worst of old brake pads still has about 3mm, though due to the lip on the disc it looked like it is 1mm when viewed in situ.

There is a huge difference (see pictures above) between the most worn out and the least warn out pads - however caliper sliding pins (rods) appeared to be in good working order with very good range of movement.

As the situation with coronavirus appears to be improving my car will, hopefully, see my mechanic within the next month for the brake pipes issue and a full service that is overdue.

Thanks a lot for help and advice to all the members that replied!

I like your enthusiasm , I wished you luck in post #17 and it seemed to have worked ! I trust you sanded/polished the surface of the hub where the disc face mates ? I see no mention of new pins/spring kit for the brake pads, you do have new ones I hope ?

Well done getting this far :thumb:

PS the brake pipe and hose could very well fail the next MOT.

I like your enthusiasm , I wished you luck in post #17 and it seemed to have worked ! I trust you sanded/polished the surface of the hub where the disc face mates ? I see no mention of new pins/spring kit for the brake pads, you do have new ones I hope ?

Well done getting this far :thumb:

PS the brake pipe and hose could very well fail the next MOT.

Yes - hub was sanded, polished, a bit of brakes grease applied before putting the new discs on.

There are no pins holding brake pads (though another W211 in the family, just one year older than mine, has another caliper type that uses pins). The caliper is held by two 13mm bolts that screw the caliper to the two sliding rods in the caliper bracket.

I bought the kit below on Ebay (from MB dealer) that includes two new disc bolts:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-W211-E-Class-Saloon-Est-Front-Brake-Discs-Pads-Kit/121365706701

So I used new disc T30 bolts. Strangely brake pads come with just two - not four - 13mm bolts - so used new ones on the top and reused old ones for the bottom (using thread-lock on all screws, though no evidence that thread-lock was used in the past).

Brake pads come with new sliding rails made of thin metal - so installed those on the caliper bracket, and new piston covers - installed on caliper.

So I reused:
1. On the calipers: bottom 13mm bolts (in fact I think previously used top bolts went to the bottom as I picked those in a better condition for re-usage).
2. On caliper holding brackets reused all four 18mm bolts (with thread-lock applied).

Yes - hub was sanded, polished, a bit of brakes grease applied before putting the new discs on.

There are no pins holding brake pads (though another W211 in the family, just one year older than mine, has another caliper type that uses pins). The caliper is held by two 13mm bolts that screw the caliper to the two sliding rods in the caliper bracket.

I bought the kit below on Ebay (from MB dealer) that includes two new disc bolts:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-W211-E-Class-Saloon-Est-Front-Brake-Discs-Pads-Kit/121365706701

So I used new disc T30 bolts. Strangely brake pads come with just two - not four - 13mm bolts - so used new ones on the top and reused old ones for the bottom (using thread-lock on all screws, though no evidence that thread-lock was used in the past).

Brake pads come with new sliding rails made of thin metal - so installed those on the caliper bracket, and new piston covers - installed on caliper.

So I reused:
1. On the calipers: bottom 13mm bolts (in fact I think previously used top bolts went to the bottom as I picked those in a better condition for re-usage).
2. On caliper holding brackets reused all four 18mm bolts (with thread-lock applied).
:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom