W211 E55 Airmatic fault.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I got myself prepared this morning to adjust the lowering links fitted to the front of my E55 as the car is too low and its aiding premature tyre wear.

To do this, its advised to raise the car to its highest setting before removing the links and shortening them.
Pressing the raise button, it illuminated the red light, but no sign of raising the car either front or rear.

After many attempts to raise the car, it refuses to move either up or down so I have a problem.
I have checked both the 7.5a Fuse#45 in the engine compartment and Fuse#37 in the drivers side interior fuse box and neither have blown.
The compressor makes no noise so I'm wondering if the relay is faulty?
If the pump had failed then I'd expect all the wheels to be up inside the wheel arches. This isn't the case.

Has any member here got a suggestion before I give in and take it for a Star test?
Testing the relay is beyond my limitations I'm afraid:(

Can't be of any great help Roger. But have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes this might rebot the system only thing I can think of really. Hope you get it sorted asap.

Tom

Does it switch between sport 1 and 2 ?.

Relays,locate the guilty one and remove it, give it a tap and replace it. Make sure it goes in the same way as it came out. ( correct orientation).Perhaps it has just got stuck, here’s hoping that’s all it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does it switch between sport 1 and 2 ?.

Relays,locate the guilty one and remove it, give it a tap and replace it. Make sure it goes in the same way as it came out. ( correct orientation).Perhaps it has just got stuck, here’s hoping that’s all it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I can get either one or two red lights illuminated when I press the button to firm up the suspension so I assume the answer is yes:D

As far as I can tell, there is only one relay marked S (Airmatic relay K67) in the diagram below.
I'll locate it and try your suggestion.
Thanks
20190622_195800(0)[1].jpg

It's alive!
I removed the relay, then refitted it , started the engine and pressed the button to raise the car........................up she went.:dk:

Tried the raise and lower about 6 times and it worked every time.
I will get another relay and fit it to be on the safe side.

I think the car knows I'm thinking of selling it:devil:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

The relay was superseded by a new version Roger, Also when buying a suspension compressor they advise fitting a new one, My Arnott pump came with the later relay.

Re selling, its going tobe a Hard act to follow ;)

The relay was superseded by a new version Roger, Also when buying a suspension compressor they advise fitting a new one, My Arnott pump came with the later relay.

Re selling, its going tobe a Hard act to follow ;)

Good info Gav. I knew about the new relay if a new pump was fitted but didn't realise there is a new version.
You're right, it will be a hard car to replace which is why I have been dragging my feet for so long.
It's got to the stage where I'm looking and getting a feel for the prices. But I'm certainly in no hurry.

Glad it's working, damn cars! They love to make us twitch :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom