• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 TEL Run-on time

migabc

Car
E220 CDI (W211)
Hi,

I'm using one of those twin (or clone) SIMs pairs. One in my Nokia6310i which sits permanently on the MB phone cradle in my car and the other one in my handheld mobile phone (NokiaN70). When I step into the car (actually, when I open the car door) the car phone turns on automatically and immediately registers the SIM in the mobile operator’s network (I've disabled PIN request on the car phone). When this happens the mobile operator unregisters the other SIM in my NokiaN70 which sits in my pocket (only one of these SIMs can be registered at a time). From that point on, my car phone is the active phone (both phones are on but only the car phone will receive calls). If I switch off the car phone the network operator automatically registers (after a location update) the other SIM in my NokiaN70 which then becomes the active phone.

Ok. This works fine.

The problem is that I sometimes forget to turn off my car phone when I leave the car. I know it switches itself off after 10 minutes but that's a bit too long (I sometimes end up receiving calls on my car phone after I leave the car because the car phone was still on). I tried changing this default 10 minute timer as described in the COMAND APS manual, by adding a new phone address entry named "Run-on time" with value 1 on my car phone’s address book, expecting the system would then turn off the car phone 1 minute after leaving the car (or switching off the headunit). But that didn't happen - it always turns off the car phone after 10 minutes no matter what value I put in the "Run-on time" address.

Has anybody experienced this problem?
Is it a problem on the headunit (I have COMAND APS Model BE6061), on the car kit (A211 820 14 51) or on the phone itself (Nokia6310i)?
Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Miguel

Hi,

I'm using one of those twin (or clone) SIMs pairs. One in my Nokia6310i which sits permanently on the MB phone cradle in my car and the other one in my handheld mobile phone (NokiaN70). When I step into the car (actually, when I open the car door) the car phone turns on automatically and immediately registers the SIM in the mobile operator’s network (I've disabled PIN request on the car phone). When this happens the mobile operator unregisters the other SIM in my NokiaN70 which sits in my pocket (only one of these SIMs can be registered at a time). From that point on, my car phone is the active phone (both phones are on but only the car phone will receive calls). If I switch off the car phone the network operator automatically registers (after a location update) the other SIM in my NokiaN70 which then becomes the active phone.

Ok. This works fine.

The problem is that I sometimes forget to turn off my car phone when I leave the car. I know it switches itself off after 10 minutes but that's a bit too long (I sometimes end up receiving calls on my car phone after I leave the car because the car phone was still on). I tried changing this default 10 minute timer as described in the COMAND APS manual, by adding a new phone address entry named "Run-on time" with value 1 on my car phone’s address book, expecting the system would then turn off the car phone 1 minute after leaving the car (or switching off the headunit). But that didn't happen - it always turns off the car phone after 10 minutes no matter what value I put in the "Run-on time" address.

Has anybody experienced this problem?
Is it a problem on the headunit (I have COMAND APS Model BE6061), on the car kit (A211 820 14 51) or on the phone itself (Nokia6310i)?
Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Miguel

I think you would be better off not disabling pin request on the car-phone. Then at least you would have to put the pin in before it activates itself, as I do, although I have a seperate number for my car-phone. As for leaving the car, surely you could remember to turn the car-phone off manually.

I'm pretty sure the run-on-time can be set by the dealer in star diagnosis, so i'd probably ask him to do that under warranty since the run-on-time setting (as per manual) doesnt seem to work .

I've never ever used the run-on-time feature - however, id really like the bluetooth to disconnect from my phone quickly (as I too miss calls since the phone stays in remote-sim mode if i'm near the car) - so i'll do some investigation ..

R

R

I think you would be better off not disabling pin request on the car-phone. Then at least you would have to put the pin in before it activates itself, as I do, although I have a seperate number for my car-phone. As for leaving the car, surely you could remember to turn the car-phone off manually.

The idea is to have it power up automatically without any input when entering the car and power it off when leaving the car. When I’m not in the car all my calls are received on my other phone. It works like a charm :bannana:

These clone SIMs (2 SIMs with the same MSISDN) are a perfect solution. :)

The only issue is the "Run-on time" feature which doesn't seem to work.
Until I get this sorted out I guess I'll have to remember to turn off the car phone before leaving the car, otherwise I can end up missing calls.

The PIN request is just a security feature which I don't find necessary for my car phone (which sits there all the time - I'm the only one using it). Of course, I take the phone out when I leave the car at the dealer).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the run-on-time can be set by the dealer in star diagnosis, so i'd probably ask him to do that under warranty since the run-on-time setting (as per manual) doesnt seem to work .

I've never ever used the run-on-time feature - however, id really like the bluetooth to disconnect from my phone quickly (as I too miss calls since the phone stays in remote-sim mode if i'm near the car) - so i'll do some investigation ..

R

R

So you thing that the "Run-on time" feature might be disabled on my car?
I'll ask the dealer to hook it up to the star diagnosis and check it the next time the car goes in.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Migabc,

Can you please tell me which network you are on? I looked into using two SIM cards on Vodafone but (at the time of enquiring) I was told I had to enter a code on the active phone to manually cause the shift from one SIM to the other, which I considered to be a drag - especially as I have the memory like a sieve.

Thanks
Philip

Hi Migabc,

Can you please tell me which network you are on? I looked into using two SIM cards on Vodafone but (at the time of enquiring) I was told I had to enter a code on the active phone to manually cause the shift from one SIM to the other, which I considered to be a drag - especially as I have the memory like a sieve.

Thanks
Philip

Hi Philip,

I'm in Portugal. I use the Optimus network.
The Twin SIM solution is available in all 3 Portuguese networks (including Vodafone) and is mainly used for this purpose (car phones) as I have described above. We don't have to enter any code to switch from one phone to another - it's done automatically.

Regards,
Miguel

Hi Philip,

I'm in Portugal. I use the Optimus network.
The Twin SIM solution is available in all 3 Portuguese networks (including Vodafone) and is mainly used for this purpose (car phones) as I have described above. We don't have to enter any code to switch from one phone to another - it's done automatically.

Regards,
Miguel

This is the UK, so we don't have the up-to-date technology here.:crazy:

I'm on O2 and tried to get the system when I bought this car with a built in phone system. No chance was the answer.:crazy:

Did you do the run-on time name entry all in lowercase ?

Asked my friendly MB tech who said it should work fine on E class, that feature has been there for some years.

Cheers

Richard

Did you do the run-on time name entry all in lowercase ?

Asked my friendly MB tech who said it should work fine on E class, that feature has been there for some years.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,
The manual says "Run-on time" with a capital R.
Anyway, I have just tried "run-on time" - all lowercase but still no joy. :(

Any other ideas before I try the dealer?

Has anybody been able to change the default TEL turn off timer? Is anybody actually using this feature?

Thanks,
Miguel

Hi,
I read on another forum that the name should be "Idletime" or the german word "Nachlaufzeit". The latter works on my system. :bannana:

I set it to 1 min and now it shuts off the car phone exactly 1 min after I turn off the car. Great, I never miss a call now. :)

Miguel

Does this work on non-COMAND integrated phone kits ? (i.e. Audio 20?)

I'm guessing not (but haven't read the manual!) ... and is the phonebook entry created on the phone's SIM card ?

Does this work on non-COMAND integrated phone kits ? (i.e. Audio 20?)

I'm guessing not (but haven't read the manual!) ... and is the phonebook entry created on the phone's SIM card ?

I don't know about Audio 20.
It works on my W211 COMAND APS with the MB integrated phone kit.

The phonebook entry can be created on either the SIM or the phone memory.
Miguel

I don't know about Audio 20.
It works on my W211 COMAND APS with the MB integrated phone kit.

The phonebook entry can be created on either the SIM or the phone memory.
Miguel

To increase run-on time without limits you switch on the radio when the car is parked.

I'd be wanting it to switch off rather than on Miro ... guess I'll have to experiment - not sure what the standard time out is - or whether it just stops charging and leaves the phone switched on.

S.

Last edited:
I looked into using two SIM cards on Vodafone

I have a different account for the carphone altogether and use a "divert all" shortcut on my other phones to divert calls to the carphone when I'm driving. Since I have both work and private mobiles, this works well for me in that I get all my calls on the handsfree car phone when driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom