W213 Dull Knocking from the rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osca

Car
E Class W213
Hi all ,

I have this dull knocking sound coming from the rear of my e class w213. It is noticeable only when driving at low speed (5 - 15mph) on rough uneven roads and manholes etc. It's not particularly loud but you'll hear it really well once the radio is off or at really low volume. It sounds horrible as it constantly knocks until the roads get better. Problem for me is I'm always having to use side roads and back roads cause of the terrible traffic in Central London so their unavoidable . I have 54k on the clock anyone know what it could be or experienced something similar ?

Mechanic suggesting to replace one suspension part at a time but that doesn't sound cheap or efficient

Hi all ,

I have this dull knocking sound coming from the rear of my e class w213. It is noticeable only when driving at low speed (5 - 15mph) on rough uneven roads and manholes etc. It's not particularly loud but you'll hear it really well once the radio is off or at really low volume. It sounds horrible as it constantly knocks until the roads get better. Problem for me is I'm always having to use side roads and back roads cause of the terrible traffic in Central London so their unavoidable . I have 54k on the clock anyone know what it could be or experienced something similar ?

Mechanic suggesting to replace one suspension part at a time but that doesn't sound cheap or efficient
Sounds like a drop link issue, relatively cheap change this first should sort the issue

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Right thanks for the reply....I think I'll try that first, one of the mechanics did mention this part cause its cheap. Ill report back once it's replaced, whether the noise has gone or not.

I had a similar problem with my W203 2years ago. It turned out to be the anti-roll bar links on the rear which were cheap to replace (Lemforder from ECP). The rubber anti-roll bar bushes were not in good shape either so you might want to have a look at these whilst the links are off. Again quite cheap but had to get these from MB.

Hi I have a E350d W213 with a chattering/repetative knocking noise from the offside rear. I got my local mechanic to have a quick look nothing found. Took it to MB dealer they have diagnosed shock absorber internal fault. The car has air suspenion. The workshop manager on his own inititive asked MB to cover it under waranty and got turned down ... 3years old and 27k on the clock.
I am going to ask them to reconsider.
I would have thought they should last for at least 5 years/60k miles. Anyone got some advice to persuade them that they want to cover the replacement?
Oh btw they want to replace both of them £995 + labour. Waiting for them to arrive from Germany atm ... Brexit willing

I posted this by mistake in another section.... I have no idea how to move it here, sorry about that

Hi all ,

Mechanic suggesting to replace one suspension part at a time but that doesn't sound cheap or
Hi all ,

Hi did you solve this
I have the same thing on my Eclass

Hi all ,

Did you get it sorted

No still haven't got it sorted , it's a bit worse now aswell. Maybe it's rear shock absorbers that need to be replaced...

Most likely cause is a failing damper, or the rubber bushing at the top. Dampers should be replaced in pairs. Check also for a broken spring while you are there.

Thats what i thought they need changed in pairs but dealer said just the one

Thats what i thought they need changed in pairs but dealer said just the one

If the car is covered by warranty, the dealer will only change the faulty side FOC.

If the car is not under warranty, the dealer should advise you to change the dampers in pairs (same goes for springs).

Exacttly the same problem on my W213.

I got into the boot and had my son drive around quiet uneven roads and I discovered that the noise is on BOTH sides at the rear.

Took it to the dealer and the tech came out with me and heard the noise. He straight away said it’s the inside of the shock absorbers. Apparently a common fault. Car only done 30k miles.

Not very impressed as I expected more from a Mercedes.

Both being replaced under warranty tomorrow.

For anybody experiencing similar noises, it sounds like a bag of spanner’s has been left in the boot, but only on uneven roads. No sound on smooth roads, no sound when bouncing the corner of the car, no sound when cornering - just appears on uneven roads (of which there are many where I live).

I got into the boot and had my son drive around quiet uneven roads and I discovered that the noise is on BOTH sides at the rear.

Took it to the dealer and the tech came out with me and heard the noise. He straight away said it’s the inside of the shock absorbers. Apparently a common fault. Car only done 30k miles.

For anybody experiencing similar noises, it sounds like a bag of spanner’s has been left in the boot, but only on uneven roads. No sound on smooth roads, no sound when bouncing the corner of the car, no sound when cornering - just appears on uneven roads (of which there are many where I live).
Sounds like a defective shock absorber to me too

Is driving with noisy suspension components for 5 months unchecked the new normal?

Is driving with noisy suspension components for 5 months unchecked the new normal?
It certainly wouldn’t be the norm for me. I am a bit ‘OCD’ after having been plagued with suspension noises previously that could not be identified for months (Peugeot). I notice even the slightest noise - i wish I didn’t.

I am sure I have the same problem as you. Heard it slightly at 30k aswell when I got the car but it was very hard to notice so left it, now at 90k it's much louder and frequent, can't bare it anymore. Exactly like mine, it's only on uneven roads I hear the noise and sometimes also when the back wheels come down from the top of a speed bump. Did they replace all 4 for you in the end or just the back two?

Also what's the guarantee that new ones won't be defective the same way since it's a common fault?

I am sure I have the same problem as you. Heard it slightly at 30k aswell when I got the car but it was very hard to notice so left it, now at 90k it's much louder and frequent, can't bare it anymore. Exactly like mine, it's only on uneven roads I hear the noise and sometimes also when the back wheels come down from the top of a speed bump. Did they replace all 4 for you in the end or just the back two?

Also what's the guarantee that new ones won't be defective the same way since it's a common fault?
Yes, it’s a very frustrating noise and almost impossible to diagnose as everything appears in order. For a good while I thought it was something in the boot, then I suspected the car seat, but then I cleared absolutely everything out and realised there was something wrong. It has gradually got worse, to the point that it was even doing it this morning on normal roads, as I drove it to the dealership.

I believe they are replacing just the two rear ones, but only because the noise was from both sides. I have read on this forum that under warranty MB will only replace the defective shock if only one is problematic (rather than replacing in pairs as per good practice). I can’t verify that but I’m sure others can.

It was driving me insane because I took the wheels off and expected to see a worn bushing but everything looked good and all tight.

I went to the dealer expecting it to be the strut top mounts (which are not visible without stripping out the boot lining), but apparently not, it’s the bloody insides of the shocks and they are being changed as I type this.

I shall be keeping an ear on the front ones now!

I wonder whether they have updated / improved the parts or whether they will be ‘new versions’ of the originals.

As always with this type of problem, half the battle is getting it to make the noise when the dealer / mechanic drives it.

Missaligned exhaust perhaps?

Just by way of update, I have collected the car. They have replaced both rear shocks/struts and the horrible noise has completely gone. Forgot to ask whether they have been updated or whether still the same.

I have to say, the service from Inchcape MB at Cheshire Oaks has been (unusually in my general dealership service experience) spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom