W213 Dull Knocking from the rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just by way of update, I have collected the car. They have replaced both rear shocks/struts and the horrible noise has completely gone. Forgot to ask whether they have been updated or whether still the same.

I have to say, the service from Inchcape MB at Cheshire Oaks has been (unusually in my general dealership service experience) spot on.
Thanks for the update, that's good to hear the problem is solved. Unfortunately I have no warranty so I will be going to an indy to get the work done. So just instructing them to change the rear shock absorbers should be enough? Because you mentioned shocks and struts

Thanks for the update, that's good to hear the problem is solved. Unfortunately I have no warranty so I will be going to an indy to get the work done. So just instructing them to change the rear shock absorbers should be enough? Because you mentioned shocks and struts
Yes, it is just two shock absorbers, I shouldn’t have called them struts as these are pure shock absorbers.

It’s not a big job. They will have to order the parts but mine were there the next day.

Let me know how you go on.

My rear shocks lasted 30k, replaced under warranty lasted another 10k even though they were supposedly updated.
Out of warranty replaced all 4 with Koni Frequency selective damping units.
The car feels better than ever, no longer twitchy or boat like and still smooth and forgiving on the motorway.
The Koni shocks work the same way as Mercedes parts but a little more damping on the rebound. Designed to work with the standard springs. Cost is approx £130 per unit.
I normally only use genuine parts but Merc seem to have lost their way with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom