W213 fuel range indicator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dj131

Car
E220d SE
Hi, got a w213 e220d. when i get to about 60 miles left on the fuel range i get a picture of a car and fuel pump in red. This then doesnt give any further decreasing miles to go information. Every other recent car I have had has given information right down to '0' miles left. i appreciate that these are rarely accuate, but does give you the ability to plan when next to fill up a bit better than a picture of a car. Does anyone know of a way to get a more accurate indication of fuel left?
thanks

I recall reading in my owners handbook that once the low fuel level warning light comes on the remaining mileage display is not available. You can use the reset button to get rid of the initial warning and check the odometer manually. With an 8 litre reserve I know I can then do a minimum of 60 miles and uusualy more depending on the road conditions.

I did notice something yesterday for the first time. If you reset the initial warning and push on for 30 miles or more a different warning comes up which this time can't be got rid of with the reset button. I figure it means "fill up now you dumb ass"

Like you I'd still prefer an odometer reading to be available even then. I don't know how much fuel is left at that point but I suspect 4 litres.

Hi
I think its the "fill up dumb ass" picture of a car with a fuel pump in red that I cant get rid of. When the initial fuel reserve sign comes uop (usually around 90+ miles let) I can reset it - but thenaround 60 miles i get the dumb ass picture that wont go away.
I guess I'll just have to do a reset as you suggest and keep an eye on how many miles I do.
Thanks

Hi
I think its the "fill up dumb ass" picture of a car with a fuel pump in red that I cant get rid of. When the initial fuel reserve sign comes uop (usually around 90+ miles let) I can reset it - but thenaround 60 miles i get the dumb ass picture that wont go away.
I guess I'll just have to do a reset as you suggest and keep an eye on how many miles I do.
Thanks

It's normal. My 204 stops telling you when range his 30 miles. It's to stop the myriad of inevitable problems when people wait until it says 1 mile left, but was a bit out and the idiot is stranded on the motorway.

It's to tell you how many miles you've got left, not how long you can avoid the petrol station for!

I can appreciate that perhaps the rationale is to stop people driving on fumes - but to stop giving information at 60+ miles !!!!!!

Ernie, appreciate your comments .... but try telling the wife to fill up ..... not going to happen :)

The most accurate way is drive until you run out then you know you have 0 miles left.

I think the point here is that technology has been used to take a dumbing down step backwards by refusing to display the odometer. MB's have had low fuel warning lights for at least 35 years but you also had a permanently displayed odometer.

What they could easily have done is let you reset to see the odometer but have the "fill up now dumb ass" warning flash up at regular intervals.

What they could easily have done is let you reset to see the odometer but have the "fill up now dumb ass" warning flash up at regular intervals.
Remember that MB's single largest market is the USA, AKA the home of the litigious moron.

If they did as you suggest, some lame-brain would run out of gas with 10 miles still showing on the range display and get eaten by a bear. His relatives would then sue Daimler because there was a gas station 9.99 miles further on. And they'd win.

I've got a feeling that you just press 'OK' on the steering wheel to get back to range indicator, difficult to test without running low on fuel!

As mentioned, you can get rid of the initial message, but there comes a point where you can't. I suspect they do that because it is no longer accurate and, as mentioned, they'll get someone run out of fuel with 1 or 2 miles left and then complain that it ran out of fuel but said it had 1-2 miles left... I think when the irremovable message comes on, you really need to find a station and fill up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom