• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W213 mods...

TR750

Car
E400D 2019 (prev MBs - 320 CLS, '08 CL500).
Good morning all..
Now yer all stuffed to the gills with turkey and goodness knows what else, its time to talk cars again.
Who's done what to their W213?
The short and simple plan for my car, a de-badged Selenite grey E400D on 20" AMGs, is:
1) GT grille - gloss black in the existing chrome surround with the std. chrome MB star (anyone know if the rad. shutters are a problem with the GT grille?)
2) Wheel spacers - 15mm rear / 10mm front (what effect do the spacers have on steering feel and turn-in? The fronts will change the scrub radius, but I don't know if the stock value is neg., neutral, or pos., so don't know if it'll get more or less 'pointy'...)
3) Celtic Tuning Stage 1 re-map (I'll drive the car as-is for a month or so to get familiar with it, but the re-map numbers say it makes a useful difference, especially with the torque)
4) Chrome L/E strips on the baldes in the front 'mock' intakes. (I'm hoping this won't look blingy, but just make the front end look a little crisper, and contrast well with the black grille)
5) Do something to disable the stop/start (not really necessary I know, and as far as I can tell not easily coded off like the W212s, but it'd please me to stop it)

I would get a set of Eibach springs to drop it 25mm, but ya can't tweak the camber easily/cheaply, so I think I'm stuck with the wheel spacers for now and maybe slightly taller tyres when the time comes.

If anyone out there has done any of the above, specifically on a W213, I'd love to hear from you - opinions, experiences, results, dislikes and so on. Indeed, I'd welcome any comments on my little plan.
Ta!!

Here ya go. Looks a tad nicer methinks. Still debating on adding chrome edges on the blades on lower outer mock intakes.

BEFORE & AFTER.JPG

Last edited:
Good morning all..
Now yer all stuffed to the gills with turkey and goodness knows what else, its time to talk cars again.
Who's done what to their W213?
The short and simple plan for my car, a de-badged Selenite grey E400D on 20" AMGs, is:
1) GT grille - gloss black in the existing chrome surround with the std. chrome MB star (anyone know if the rad. shutters are a problem with the GT grille?)
2) Wheel spacers - 15mm rear / 10mm front (what effect do the spacers have on steering feel and turn-in? The fronts will change the scrub radius, but I don't know if the stock value is neg., neutral, or pos., so don't know if it'll get more or less 'pointy'...)
3) Celtic Tuning Stage 1 re-map (I'll drive the car as-is for a month or so to get familiar with it, but the re-map numbers say it makes a useful difference, especially with the torque)
4) Chrome L/E strips on the baldes in the front 'mock' intakes. (I'm hoping this won't look blingy, but just make the front end look a little crisper, and contrast well with the black grille)
5) Do something to disable the stop/start (not really necessary I know, and as far as I can tell not easily coded off like the W212s, but it'd please me to stop it)

I would get a set of Eibach springs to drop it 25mm, but ya can't tweak the camber easily/cheaply, so I think I'm stuck with the wheel spacers for now and maybe slightly taller tyres when the time comes.

If anyone out there has done any of the above, specifically on a W213, I'd love to hear from you - opinions, experiences, results, dislikes and so on. Indeed, I'd welcome any comments on my little plan.
Ta!!
Grille - easy and no effect on shutters (video on my YouTube site)
Spacers - I run 12 front and 15 rear (looks better and no difference to driving feel) but you will need longer bolts
Lowering - I have air suspension and had it lowered 10mm and usually run in ECO/Sport so another 10mm down. Did try lowering 15mm but ride was awful so think 25mm will be far to rough and I would suggest no lower than 20mm. Also this makes the car very low - I do have to raise mine for some speed humps/parking kerbs in supermarkets etc
Tuning - consider a plug and play box? I run one in nmine and have upped the PS to 239. Better economy and move torque
Chrome Strips - ??. only if you have chrome door/roof trim but was never standard on any E so could look a bit naff (but personal opinion)
SSS - you can easily code to last memory (4 hrs) or switch off complete. Had mine done to last memory in 10 mins by a local coder (to me).

Grille - easy and no effect on shutters (video on my YouTube site)
Spacers - I run 12 front and 15 rear (looks better and no difference to driving feel) but you will need longer bolts
Lowering - I have air suspension and had it lowered 10mm and usually run in ECO/Sport so another 10mm down. Did try lowering 15mm but ride was awful so think 25mm will be far to rough and I would suggest no lower than 20mm. Also this makes the car very low - I do have to raise mine for some speed humps/parking kerbs in supermarkets etc
Tuning - consider a plug and play box? I run one in nmine and have upped the PS to 239. Better economy and move torque
Chrome Strips - ??. only if you have chrome door/roof trim but was never standard on any E so could look a bit naff (but personal opinion)
SSS - you can easily code to last memory (4 hrs) or switch off complete. Had mine done to last memory in 10 mins by a local coder (to me).
Thanks - grille and wheel spacers done last week. It's a saloon, no air. I'll start looking for a local coder guy (I'm in Belfast NI), although I've already got used to turning S/S off. It's actually not as anoying as my previous car, an Audi SQ5, which for some reason was quite 'rough' and audible when starting. The MB is much less noticeable thankfully. and I have decided to remap it in the spring - should get 600 lbsft torque and be a little better on fuel. Will temp. fit the chrome strips and make a call whether to fit or not then. (and yes it has stock chrome door handle covers & window trims).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom