Warning signals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
it's a cut-n-paste 'offer' being sent to hundreds of other sellers from an Internet cafe...

So it's a real case of 'wake up and smell the coffee'..

Tell him Thanks very much for the offer and get him to post the cheque to a fictious PO box. Use S Cammer as your account name and then forget all about him

That should leave him thinking he's got a bite. I read about 1 guy who scammed the scammer into giving him a free laptop. It tooks months of perseverance and hundreds of emails but at the end the scammer couldn't work out whether he had won or lost. It was very funny.

I see the issue here with a cheque but how about the irrevocable bank transfer that's been offered? Everyone seems to have ignored that...

Honestly, it reads like a scam, but the offer of the bank transfer is throwing me.

Dear Albert I hope you are enjoying your new car. Did I mention I may have left something in the trunk? 2minutes in[YOUTUBE HD]i--Gk0MRWZw[/YOUTUBE HD]

The scammer may be more interested in your bank details than the car itself. Realistically, there's a lot of info about you they can gather, as well as your bank details, that might make you more susceptible to fraud.

Incidentally, I heard about a scammer who was scammed by potential victim who was to send his goods to a bonded warehouse in Nigeria. Turns out the scammer had to pay to collect his victims goods from customs by the weight of the package. Fortunately, the victim had shipped him a pile of bricks, so costing the scammer a fortune in fees! Very satisfying.

How did your scam detector not go off when you got the first email? There is no mention at all of the car. None of the Qs you'd expect from a real buyer. If that doesn't show you that it's a cut-n-paste 'offer' being sent to hundreds of other sellers from an Internet cafe...

It did :D that's why I posted it on here ;) I thought at first I was being over cautious but my instincts are always right ;)

I see the issue here with a cheque but how about the irrevocable bank transfer that's been offered? Everyone seems to have ignored that...

Honestly, it reads like a scam, but the offer of the bank transfer is throwing me.

This is what threw me too... the cheque...not a chance but the cash transfer? hmmm

I wouldnt want to give out my bank details anyhow but it did throw me. :confused:

Maybe it is a tactic they use to at first appear genuine.

Play with him a while, we can come up with suitable responses, keeping the dialogue visible on the forum for everyones amusement. :D

We could start by asking him to prove that he is genuine by posting back a photo of himself holding an Irish Times (or whatever it is called).

[edit] cos I've drunk one too many Daiquiri)

Play with him a while, we can come up with suitable responses, keeping the dialogue visible on the forum for everyones amusement. :D

We could start by asking him to prove that he is genuine by posting back a photo of himself holding an Irish Times (or whatever it is called).

[edit] cos I've drunk one too many Daiquiri)

LOL this could be quite amusing! I wonder if he will go for it or realise that he has been rumbled :D

Another one!!!

They are really going for it....

Philip John <[email protected]>
spacer_1.gif

AddTo:$17mma
Thanks for the email response.

I want you to send me more photo in your next mail, I have a Client who is so much interested in the item with the purpose of making immediate payment by a Certified Bank cheque That will be cleared into your bank account within 2 to 3 days.

He has responded very positively and i have given him my own price for selling to Him whereby added my own profit and commissions to your own asking price and he is ready to make payment.payment by a Certified Bank cheque.

Any amount that is more than your asking price that is going to be on the cheque will be sent back to me .The remaning balance you will be sending to me will be as my Profit,Commission and for the shipping.

I hope you are clear with my Email so you should Complete and send back the details below so that the Certified Bank cheque can be issued and mailed out to you:

NAME...................
ADDRESS...................
CITY.........................
STATE.......................
POSTAL CODE.......................
COUNTRY.......................
TEL NUMBER.........................
LAST PRICE........

My client promised to make sure that you receive the payment in at least 10 working days. As regards the pick up, as soon as you confirm to me that the cheque has cleared not a second before and that you have the funds deposited in your bank account , i will inform my shipper to come for the pick-up immediately.
I want you to know that any profit i make from this kind of transaction is how i earn a living for me and my family.
I look forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards and my family.
I look forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards

--- On Thu, 15/10/09, $17mma wrote:
From: $17mma Subject: Fw: Enquiry about your advertised Mercedes C Class
To: [email protected]
Date: Thursday, 15 October, 2009, 8:37 AM

Vehicle in excellent condition as seen in ad, available for viewing.

Price £6799 ono

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Thursday, 15 October, 2009 9:34:35
Subject: Enquiry about your advertised Mercedes C Class

Dear S17mma

In response to your advertisement on ExchangeandMart.co.uk for your Mercedes C Class, we're delighted to send you the following enquiry from a potential buyer.

Enquirer's message:

Hello Sir /Ma

I just want to confirm if you still have the item you have post for sale ,Please response with the condition and price of the item you posted for sale.Hope to hear from you soon..

Regard..

Enquirer's details:
Name: phil jon
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 07031948690
Alternate telephone: 07031948690

Please contact the enquirer directly using the above details. Please don't reply to this email as it has been sent from an un-manned mail box.

Vehicle details:
Make: Mercedes
Model: C Class
Price: £6,799.00
Ad ID: 1076575

Hmm, an irish man who writes like he is from Eastern Europe. I believe there is a loophole that lets funds transferred from foreign bank accounts to be transferred back for some considerable period afterwards - certainly long after you think it is safe to release the car.

Whatever, this is a scam without a doubt. Nobody buys any car sight unseen.

I have just sold a golf gti to a fella from Northern Ireland who didn't view the car but who rang me and spoke on the phone asking lots of questions about the car etc. He bought it and I met a man near my house who had a car transporter who paid me in cash less the deposit he had paid into my bank account.
There are some honest people out there, but you really have to be on your guard and always trust your instincts.:)

If you deliver the car to me, I will accept their cheque for you ( into my Cayman Islands account) when it clears I will let them have the car and you have the money. Being a member on here you can trust me. Can't say clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom