Washer question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Headlamp washers on a 320CDi W211. The semi-automatic kind that fly out the front when a button is pressed. Zenon headlamps. Does anybody know if these are a legal requirement (C&U) or can I do away with them? Would anybody bother anyway?

requiremnt to pass MOT Xenon equipt cars must have self leveling and washers.

Whats the downside of not having washers...getting dirty headlight lenses? I take it there is another reason for having these?

Whats the downside of not having washers...getting dirty headlight lenses? I take it there is another reason for having these?

Cos I've come across a facelift front bumper that doesn't have the washer hole cut-outs. In the last three years I've used the washers twice and that was to show off.

ive never used mine, dont even know if they work!

requiremnt to pass MOT Xenon equipt cars must have self leveling and washers.

Just been round to the MOT station and am assured by the tester that washers are not required. Boss showed me his Lexus with Xenons and no washers. I did think they were, though where I got the info about GOK.

Confused.com. :dk:

Well! Alps is correct after all.:thumb:

"2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam."

Wonder how the Lexus got type approval? Deffo had Xenons from new and no washers.

Cannot see the rational for insisting on headlamp washers with zenons....why not for all types of headlights? I have washers on my clk fitted with Xenons and can honestly say I have never used the washers.

On previous cars, mainly BMWs, with standard headlamps where headlamp washers were fitted, I tended to disconnect the headlamp washers completely as on BMWs the headlamp washer worked the first time you used your windscreen washers on a journey and then every 4th or so times meaning that the water bottle depleted rather fast.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

^ wot he said. :thumb:

For anyone looking to check what is and isn't checked during an MoT, and what would constitute a fail, the tester's manual is available online.

Sections 1.2 and 1.6 cover headlamps and aim and, as suggested by bolide, there's no mention of washers.

As above I believe it's a legal requirement but not part of the MOT.

Pah, my last 3 cars have had headlight wash with wipe, much better than squirting water! :p

They are actually quite useful in winter....when they work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom