Website privacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
How long do websites store information about you? If you access sites with passwords, date of birth etc, I imagine a lot of sites will end up with a lot of information held about you...even though you may not shop/bank etc with them. So how long does this 'digital footprint' last?

normally about 6 years providing that they are complying with the DPA (Data Protection Act)

and if they are not 'proper' they can just keep it in dbase for as long as they like. There are no 'expiration dates' as such.
hth

Actually I dont think its so simple.

From a purely IT perspective rather than legal, my experience is that the data is generally stored for as long as there is space to store it - or until the data is lost due to an outage or failure of some kind.

I guess it really depends on the kind of data you're talking about, lots of data is kept indefinately and there are no rules to say it cant be kept either.

And you'll find a lot of information ends up stateside...not much you can do about it. :(

...and there are people worrying about I.D cards. Sounds like they know your shoe size anyway. I heard that information logs such as web hits, email account names etc are now sold to firms too :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom