Weird Light Behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Morning
I have something weird going on.
I changed the rear n/s brake and tail light bulbs as they had blown. I got the bulbs from Halfords. Well all was well for nearly 2 weeks then low and behold the defective ind came on on the dashboard. Then I noticed that when I put my foot on the brake
the front side light comes on. I have taken the bulb holder out and reinstalled but again it is happening. Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas if this just a bulb problem or something more serious.

Cheers
Ian

Sounds like afaulty bulb giving you feedback. Try changing it with the other side to prove it mate.:crazy:

Originally posted by rirhill
Morning
I have something weird going on.
I changed the rear n/s brake and tail light bulbs as they had blown. I got the bulbs from Halfords. Well all was well for nearly 2 weeks then low and behold the defective ind came on on the dashboard. Then I noticed that when I put my foot on the brake
the front side light comes on. I have taken the bulb holder out and reinstalled but again it is happening. Anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas if this just a bulb problem or something more serious.
One of my reverse lights keeps going out, it's not a blown bulb - it's a Halfords bulb. Halfords bulbs seem to have a slightly smaller fitting and they wobble a bit in the bulb holder, if I tap the taillight the bulb comes on again! The simple answer is to swap the bulbs around until they all work or to throw them away and buy new bulbs from somewhere else!
As for the strange front sidelight effect, if a bulb is dual filament and it slips out of the holder it can do some strange things! I blame the bulbs.

In the hand book for my car it says that if one of the critical bulbs fails the next nearest light will take over, not sure exactly what that means, I took it to mean the side light would flash for the indicator or the fog light would come on if the brake light went. Could that be what your seeing?

Ian, a couple of points (seeing as I appear to be the blown bulb daddy):

1) The stop/tail light is a slightly different bulb from normal. The little spigots (don't know the proper name) are not at 180 degrees to each other - they're slightly offset to one another. This means if you put a conventional dual filament bulb in the holder it *may* work, but will not make the best connection. Get to an MB stealer and get two or three - I'd replace both sides for peace of mind.

2) I've noticed the "springy" bits of metal on the bulb holders seem to weaken over time, giving the symptom Shude describes. At one stage I was losing my rag with my car as it seemed to be blowing bulbs every day, but turned out to be dodgy connections. I got a small screwdriver under each one and bent them up a bit to make a better connection with the light unit. It appears to have worked.

Hope this helps mate.

Greg

PS - my local (to work) MB dealer charged me £23 to replace a front sidelight bulb, yet when I went in for a set for the rear of the car (minus the stop/tails - done them already), the parts guy handed them over gratis. Theres consistency for you.

The exact wording in my handbook is:

If one of the following bulbs blows, another bulb will take over its function:
-Turn Signals
-Brake lamps
-Side lamps
-Tail lamps

I guess if it think one of the bulbs has gone thats why its substituting it.

As hreg says you might have put the wrong bulb, you will be able to get the oe with the pins offset from any motor spares shop inc hjalfords... just check the ratings as MB have very different power ratings (watts) to other cars.

Thanks very much for all your helpful responces.

Greg I did notice that they didn t seem exactly right (as you said a bit wobbly) when I installed it. I will have to get myself down to the dealership to get replacement bulbs. I think I might get a set as they always seem to all go at once.

Thanks again I will have a fiddle at lunchtime.

Cheers
Ian

Good call Ian - I always replace bulbs in pairs after taking half the skin off my wrists replacing a headlight bulb in the wife's MX-5 a while back, only to have the other side blow about 3 days later...

Let us know how you get on.

I've been down this road with Halfords bulbs :)

the sleeve on them is slightly smaller than all the other manufacturers - they must have worked out they can save a fraction of a penny in production costs on every single bulb by using less materials.

Andy

Been down to MB Stratford at lunchtime. I bought MB bulbs so far so good. I think the conclusion is don t replace MB bulbs with Halford bulbs.

Thanks to all for your help.
Cheers
Ian

Originally posted by jaymanek
Dont buy anything from halfords is my philosophy!

If the latest TV advertising is to be believed, their premises are all staffed by chimps too. Well I suppose if you pay peanuts you get monkeys :p

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom