Weird oil/diesel leak? OM651

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm no expert, if its engine oil then possibly the garage hasn't fitted the gasket correctly for it to be still leaking? Hopefully some with engine knowledge will shed some light.

I'm no expert, if its engine oil then possibly the garage hasn't fitted the gasket correctly for it to be still leaking? Hopefully some with engine knowledge will shed some light.

I’m getting annoyed at this stupid car! Bloody rubbish thing lol

Is it possible for you to really clean it off again? Use a paintbrush with some cleaner on it, then dry it off, so not a trace of the oil remains ( or at least as clean as you can) Then start the engine, and let it run and watch it and see if you can spot where it's coming from? Worth a try anyway.... Alternatively, set a spot lamp on it, and video record it, if you don't have the time to just stand there watching it.

^^Just what I was thinking. Give it a thorough clean (like @merc85 would lol) and then watch it. Could be a hairline crack that isn't noticeable at first glance

What’s a safe way to clean it guys? Without risking messing up the electrics etc

Still looks like injector seal leak in the photo anyway. It’s not always straight forward to seal these injectors, you usually have to cut the seats to clean them to get a good seal.

Try spraying some soapy water around the injectors with the car running, if compression gases are leaking it’ll soon show in the soapy bubbles.

Still looks like injector seal leak in the photo anyway. It’s not always straight forward to seal these injectors, you usually have to cut the seats to clean them to get a good seal.

Try spraying some soapy water around the injectors with the car running, if compression gases are leaking it’ll soon show in the soapy bubbles.

Will do mate thanks. Will Some fairy liquid and water in a spray bottle do?

My guess and its only that--- would be a problem with the PCV [positive crankcase ventilation valve] assembly allowing a build up of pressure inside the crankcase OR its leaking onto the injection pipework -- there should be a pipe leading to the inlet of the turbocharger- this pipe has been known to get blocked/collapsed/ leak-- there may also be a centrifugal oil separator in there somewhere also??? tried to get a cutaway diagram of the OM651 PCV assembly but so far no luck.

It looks wet around the breather on the rocker cover, as above excess crankcase pressure could be the issue. Re cleaning brake n clutch cleaner will get ridd but mop it up with a cloth as it may turn the plastics white. It will evaporate quickly so electrics should be fine.

The cam cover has had various versions over the years and the PCV valve seems to be part of the assembly- there will some of sort of diaphragm valve in there somewhere- the interior seems quite complex? A6510101230
c6c4966a458d889d9c435b3886fe

What’s a safe way to clean it guys? Without risking messing up the electrics etc
Spray it liberally with some rattle can brake cleaner, then mop up the excess, then repeat the process one more time. Ideally, then you would have access to compressed air, and "Blow Dry" the area. But failing that, then clean it as beat you can with some cloth. Then wait and watch.

what I have used is a product by autosmart called g101 and I have brought many engines looking spotless with very little effort. use at your own risk its slightly caustic and can damage some lacquers or tarnish alloy if left on for a long time.
but just spray it on neat with a spray bottle all over where you can and hose it off. preferably jet wash.
also any wash under bonnet at your own risk near the electricals

what I have used is a product by autosmart called g101 and I have brought many engines looking spotless with very little effort. use at your own risk its slightly caustic and can damage some lacquers or tarnish alloy if left on for a long time.
but just spray it on neat with a spray bottle all over where you can and hose it off. preferably jet wash.
also any wash under bonnet at your own risk near the electricals

It's good stuff i purchased a 5L tub. Its APC so dilute to the correct ratio and it will probably outlast the car!

On the theory of gravity and oil leaks dripping down the way. looking at first pic it looks like the highest oil patch is on circle breather baffle on left.
this could be misting out of this under hard acceleration / choked breather or something over time.

do you run engine with the top cover on? as it could be spraying or misting up anywhere and running down inside of cover running everywhere! making it very hard to pinpoint.

and btw good info on thread I think ill invest in an updated housing/pipe while im in about removing my egr for a clean.

also has the sensor near breather been removed and checked for maybey an oring that's torn

Well....

Intake manifold anyone....! :confused:

If it is that, I believe it’s £359 from MB for a new one + 4-5Hrs Labour....... :mad::confused:

Well....

Intake manifold anyone....! :confused:

If it is that, I believe it’s £359 from MB for a new one + 4-5Hrs Labour....... :mad::confused:

Not good news then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom