• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What are ID Cards for?

Scott I am with you on this, I can see no objections put forward by the anti's that will stop me from having an ID card. In fact, somewhere in the States are my index finger print and iris scan from my visit last year, so I don't see that as a problem.
Rose Chap said:
One of the founding legal principles of country is innocent until proven guilty, whereas ID cards are pushing the concept that individuals are guilty until they prove they are innocent.

This is wholly unacceptable in my opinion.

You have obviously never been falsley arrested. As far as the police are concerned, you are the guilty one and it is up to your legal team to prove otherwise.

Geoff2 said:
You have obviously never been falsley arrested. As far as the police are concerned, you are the guilty one and it is up to your legal team to prove otherwise.

I also agree with Scott.

Surely when the Police arrest someone they do so because they suspect that person to have committed the crime? So perhaps they do believe you are guilty? No one, but no one is perfect, and innocent people will get arrested?

John

I spoke to my most outspoken Eastender mate about ID cards today. I expected to get a battering about how they were an invasion of privacy, etc....

To my complete amazement, he stated that he wants to be first in the queue to get one. I didn't declare my stance until after he was finished, in order not to lead any aspect of the discussion. He even wants a complete DNA database included!

Hi,

For the majority of normal people going about their normal daily business nothing will really change. This system, like CCTV footage etc, will mostly be used retrospectively i.e. when 'something' has happened you can 'go back' for a 'look see' (as there will be far too much 'innocent' data).

IMHO the major problems are implementation and maintenance of an accurate database and the logistics of getting everyone to submit their biometric data and of course the overall cost.

Whilst it's true that there's no guarantee that the initial identity is correct that person will subsequently still only have a single 'biometric' identity and, therefore, could still be 'tracked' (and could only claim Social benefit once etc.)

I think that the major negatives are more theoretical than real (for the average law abiding person) but my major concerns relate more to implementation. This Government obviously can't manage a 'p..s up in a brewery' so this will probably be another tremendous waste of our hard earned cash.

A more lateral thought is why do we need a card anyway? Using this biometric database identity could be verified by biometric input only i.e. you wouldn't need a physical credit card etc. as you would be 'recognised' by your finger/retinal print etc.

Cheers,

Dieter

Dieter,

I must say that I agree entirely with your post. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Scott

glojo said:
Surely when the Police arrest someone they do so because they suspect that person to have committed the crime? So perhaps they do believe you are guilty? No one, but no one is perfect, and innocent people will get arrested?

It's true that no one is perfect but as my own personal experience tells me, when the police investigating something don't check thier facts ahead of time, innocent people get arrested. (i.e. me!) Had there been ID cards in place at the time, the "information" they thought they had on me could have been verified in an instant and I would never have been arrested.

Where does it go.

Lets jump forward 10 years, it has done nothing to stop crime. So we make it stricter. So you can not buy petrol, get a train/tube, enter a public building. Travellers are still a problem, for we can identify a traveler lets stamp it with a J (sorry I mean T).

I don't think any have an issue with a ID (sic) card, it is the collecting of information along side it. I don't need to tell you which was the last country (and when) in Western Europe to have such a sytem. Imagine you go to an anti (war, tax anything you like) demo and have to swipe your card to get into the demo.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA. Expergiscimini si vos lego is vos teneo melior.

Last edited by a moderator:
scotth_uk said:
Sorry guys, I just can't get worked up about the issue.

We're all sheep already, and I just cannot see my mundane suburban life being turned upside down by the introduction of a piece of plastic.

We are not sheep already. We are known (in profile) to those who both sell to us and by those who want to sell to us, but as far as those who govern us are concerned, we merely a name, an address and a date of birth. We retain our anonymity and nothing about our private lives can be used to manipulate or control us. Today, we are only "known" to the powers that be if they seek to access our data as part of a criminal investigation, but other than that, we are beyond their immediate reach, and therefore their active control.

By branding us - which is almost literally what ID cards will be achieving - the government (and anyone who is deemed appropriate) will have ready access to 60 million people's lives - their habits, their activities and their whereabouts, as well as their physical data. For those of us who "have nothing to hide", this will mean that as individuals we will become readily accessible to any number of government departments and agencies and the information will be used to their respective advantages - you can count on it.

For those of us who bend the rules a little (and I suspect that includes most of us...), this will create the ideal platform of "justification" for a whole variety of jobsworth pedants to dish out fines and convictions for even the most minor of misdemeanours. Yup, ID cards will become the very latest in cynical revenue generators and I reckon they'll make "road safety" cameras seem benevolent in comparison. (BTW, I objected vehemently to the introduction of speed cameras, while many of my friends and associates expressed total indifference to the concept, at least until the harsh reality of their true purpose began to dawn on them. As with ID cards, I wasn't objecting to cameras in principle, but I knew that they'd be used cynically and of course this turned out to be true)...

Bearface, I think you've probably captured my situation perfectly "maybe you're not really in a position to empathize with those of us who can see why this particular proposed government indulgence is a step too far..?". Whilst it's not something I understand, I will respect your position as perhaps something I just "don't get".

It's entirely your choice of course, however if you've already conceded that you don't trust the government, that they'll probably make a hash of the whole thing (which is practically guaranteed) and that taxpayers hard-earned money will be wasted or squandered, I'm struggling to see why you're not protesting on those grounds alone. On the other hand, if being branded, losing your anonymity and potentially becoming the victim of over-zealous departments and agencies doesn't bother you, then nothing will.

I'm open to suggestion, but I still haven't read about a single scenario on the against side that concerns me.....

This government probably wishes there were more people like you, especially right now. Just imagine, they'd be able to take all kinds of liberties with our rights and the indifference to those liberties would give them all the freedom they needed. I'm just glad that in reality, people are keen to analyse, question and hopefully object to these dubious policies prior to their implementation.

Information/Database abuse is probably my only concern, and to me that's a weakness of almost every aspect of today's life.

It is, but fortunately it's currently only abused by those who want to sell you a timeshare in Crewe, or a funny-shaped credit card which doubles as a whistle. Just imagine what the government and all it's agencies can do to you by abusing the data they collect.................Personally I'd prefer to stick with the good, old-fashioned junk mail, telesales calls and spam attacks any day of the week, thanks...

Last edited:
zooman said:
Where does it go.

Lets jump forward 10 years, it has done nothing to stop crime.

:) I just wish I could jump forward a few days. Six numbers, just six numbers.

I blame all this on giving women the right to vote. Definitely a bad day for the whole of man-kind.

Watch out, watch out big brother is about :) :) To much information is just as bad as too little.

I wonder if all your telephones are bugged, your vehicle movements monitored, and how many people are doing this monitoring?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom