• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What could this be ?? (brake caliper)

mercedescl500

Car
CL500 with Brabus Bits and 1 Big Suprise
I just finished changing a friends rear brake caliper as he had some brake pedal travel issues. The pedal would take a second press to build pressure. Upon removing the rear wheel I saw the caliper was knackered but could not identify the problem for sure. Obviously it's leaking somewhere. Worst I've seen for a while.

Attachments

• image-3329072601.jpg
    image-3329072601.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1825133921.jpg
    image-1825133921.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image-3669436884.jpg
    image-3669436884.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 54
I'm not sure that it is leaking - from the photos it just looks like a corroded old caliper.

Scott_F said:
I'm not sure that it is leaking - from the photos it just looks like a corroded old caliper.

Cheers Scott, I pulled the pads out and this white residue is inside the pistons aswell. Does brake fluid not turn white/milky?

Cheers Scott, I pulled the pads out and this white residue is inside the pistons aswell. Does brake fluid not turn white/milky?

I don't know but the corrosion in the photos looks pretty standard for a caliper that has been exposed to heat, moisture and salt for a good few years.

Bellow said:
All wheel bearings in good order?

Yes. No play in bearings. Front and back. This is the only caliper in this condition. The other 3 are near perfect.

Dude that looks bad!!! Yo go to the junkyard and pull a used one out. The oedal travel all the way because its not holding presure a small hair crack will do so. After you replace the caliper just the caliper (not the disk or pads) spray them with spray on grease by WD-40 it works great at keeping corrosion away and stuff especiy if it snows over in the UK every year to six months grease up you under carrige! Itl prevent rust n that problem you have.also when you compress the brake pistons open the brake fluid recerve so no air or presure gets lost or locked in ther. After installation bleed the brake system. ALSO IM FROM USA IN CALIFORNIA. I HAVE 2 JUNKYARDS CLOSE TO ME I KNOW IM A MAN OF MY WORD... SO I ANYONE NEEDS A PART ILL PULL IT OUT, CLEAN IT, AND SHIP IT OVER BUT YOU GUYS PAY FOR SHIPPING AND THE PART. IF ANYONE WANTS TO GET TO KNOW ME MORE FOR TRUST BUILD UP IM OK WITH THAT. Ps. Ill show you the website so you guys can see parts prices and availability.

Bellow said:
Replaced? So the old one is junk?

Fluid level will drop if there's a leak at a caliper. Leaked fluid tends to strip paint and cause a corrosion tell tale streak.

Yes the caliper has now been replaced with another one. Fluid would drop over approx 3 weeks or so (he had been topping it off). I checked the other calipers and no signs of corrosion or leaking. All bearings ok too. This was the only caliper that exhibited these changes.

I never seen (personally) a caliper this bad. I'm sure there's probably worse. Many thanks.

Update. Bled the brakes today. The pedal is now solid. Something was definitely wrong with that particular caliper. All done now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom