What is 'remapping your auto gearbox'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
With the day fast approaching for collecting my 'new' (to me) SL63 thoughts have inevitably turned to 'personalising it'.

One aspect is the remapping of the engine that I'll mention in a moment.

Anyway, I spoke to Eurocharged about a remap and they said they would do the gearbox too.

Why would I want the gearbox remapped?

And in everyday use, would I even notice?

Has anyone had this done when they did their engine remap? And can you give me the benefit of your experience.

The advertised benefits are apparently:

• Faster shifting time
  • Re-setting max and min rpm for up and down shifts
  • Torque limiter changes to “unleash” more power, as the g/box ECU is independent of the engine ECU
  • Smoother shifting

Making rotating things rotate faster sounds like a recipe for a broken gearbox to me. I’m happy with the shifting speed, so am I just asking for trouble, or are there genuine benefits to enjoy?

On the engine side, a few more ponies, some more torque, and the removal of factory designed fuel economy flat spots would be welcome, although I freely admit that the gains with a normally aspirated engine are small.

However, in the case of the 63, mid range torque is increased by 50lbft, so that's good for drivability.

Anyway. Remap a gearbox? What is that all about?

Robert
PS. In case anyone asks: I don’t do track days any more!

I personally wouldnt bother, i had a remap on a dsg box on the golf. I had trouble with it so went back to stock. Just stick with the engine remap. Some may disagree just my opinion.

The MB boxes respond very well to re-mapping. Smartens the shift times up and goes a long way to eliminating the lag usually associated with them.

If it was suggested by Euro Charged, it will be a good thing. Let's face it, they understand the world of tuning Mercedes/AMG more than most. :)

Without wishing to sound ****y, are you saying that over 6L and 8 cyls will not be up to the task?

Why not drive the car for a while before you decide if anything could be done to improve?

Maybe I am mixed up but I didn't think you could "re-map" a 7g gearbox unless you remove the TCU
I again may be mistaken but is the SL not 518bhp in stock form? I would expect no more than 520 bhp from a re-mapped 63 engine.

I know Weistec do a TCU re map which also includes a new valve body which increases hydraulic line pressure to the "clutches" and shifts quicker.

Might be worth giving Acid at MSL a shout as he is a Weistec dealer and may be able to advise.

To be honest, I agree with lewyboy above. I know you haven't picked it up yet, but have you ever driven similar machines with over 500bhp? You'll find that it's pretty nippy in standard form, so a remap may not necessarily have to be your first job with the car.

Get it, get it detailed (as per your other thread) and then run it for a while before committing yourself. :) If you then decide it needs "something", I'd suggest a limited slip diff as a first move. It was for me, and improved the car incredibly both in traction and handling. No good having loads of power if you can't put it down...

Good point from Lee, I assumed it was a Bi-Turbo like mine.

Without wishing to sound ****y, are you saying that over 6L and 8 cyls will not be up to the task?

Why not drive the car for a while before you decide if anything could be done to improve?

Not ****y at all. Fair point actually.

Obviously I don't know whether you have driven a SL63, but I feel they are like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

You tootle around below 3500 rpm and they're quiet(ish) and mild mannered. No worries there.
But the moment you exceed 3500 rpm the car gives out a huge roar and launches you down the road like a runaway train!

This is a madman of a car!

It just so happens that the most torque that can be gained by a remap is in the mid-range, around 3000 to 4000 rpm.

So a remap will ease the transition between 'mild and mad' and make the car more drivable for everyday use. ( not to mention easier to handle in the wet.)

(I've actually told my wife to avoid revving it above 3500 rpm, because she frightens easily!)

So it's the mid range torque increase I'm after, not the bit at the top of the rev range :-)

I hope that makes sense?

Cheers,
Robert

Maybe I am mixed up but I didn't think you could "re-map" a 7g gearbox unless you remove the TCU
I again may be mistaken but is the SL not 518bhp in stock form? I would expect no more than 520 bhp from a re-mapped 63 engine.

I know Weistec do a TCU re map which also includes a new valve body which increases hydraulic line pressure to the "clutches" and shifts quicker.

Might be worth giving Acid at MSL a shout as he is a Weistec dealer and may be able to advise.

Thanks for that :-)

Yes, I'm expecting to go from 525bhp (it has the factory Performance Package) to around 530-540bhp.

Torque would be up by only 30lbft at the top end.

However, as I explained above, I'm after the mid range torque increase, which is expected to be around 50lbft. And the improved drivability that that should bring.

Lest we forget, my post was about remapping the gearbox !

So I'll speak to Acid and find out what he thinks - thanks :-)
Cheers,
Robert

To be honest, I agree with lewyboy above. I know you haven't picked it up yet, but have you ever driven similar machines with over 500bhp? You'll find that it's pretty nippy in standard form, so a remap may not necessarily have to be your first job with the car.

Get it, get it detailed (as per your other thread) and then run it for a while before committing yourself. :) If you then decide it needs "something", I'd suggest a limited slip diff as a first move. It was for me, and improved the car incredibly both in traction and handling. No good having loads of power if you can't put it down...

That's good advice :-)

The car has the Performance Package, so it already has a limited slip diff.

I guess I was thinking more about altering the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde personality. That was my thinking......

As far as driving 500bhp + cars! only a 911 turbo. However, I've had several modern 'superbikes' that were so fast you almost thought Time Travel was possible!

Cheers,
Robert

PS. Agreed, detailing the car should be a higher priority!

Auto box om my 53 plate c220 diesel slow as. But.....its got 180k on it now. Would it be advisable remapping that??

Sorry for jumpin in but any advise appreciated ;)

Auto box om my 53 plate c220 diesel slow as. But.....its got 180k on it now. Would it be advisable remapping that??

Sorry for jumpin in but any advise appreciated ;)

I honestly don't know, but I would be cautious.

Incidentally, when was the g/box oil last changed? (Thinking wear and tear...)

Cheers
Robert

Doubt gearbox oil change would have been a part of kwik fits service that I had done cpl months ago so ive no idea. Thanks for the reminder

As others have said, I'd drive it for a few months first, and then see what you think.

Have fun.

As others have said, I'd drive it for a few months first, and then see what you think.

Have fun.

Thank for the advice :-)

I'm going to do just that!

With winter coming, getting the car detailed, and more importantly, protected from the elements is the priority.

Cheers,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom