• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What is this cable for??

John20

Car
C CLASS (C200) KOMPRESSOR Saloon 2008
thumbnail_IMG_4098.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4099.jpg

I was removing the steering column following a mechanic partially starting it and after removing it, I saw this cable hanging down and it's not something I had disconnected anywhere, does anyone know what it is? the yellow tip slides up and down. I checked it's not the parking brake I don't think as there's a black cable coming from that, the bonet opener is also accounted for, so no clue what this is??

Any part numbers on it which can be "googled"?

Good idea, i've had another look and there's no markings of any degree except a "2" on the side. If it helps in anyway... it's "natural" resting position seems to bring over the steering column and towards something on the right side area...

Okay, I literally googled "w204 cables" and sifted through images, and eventually came across the cable that appears to match mine exactly. Apparently it is a "GEAR SELECTOR RELEASE CABLE" or "GEAR LINKAGE CABLE" but I have no idea where this is suppose to be installed too?? and why would this be in the steering column area ?

Okay... so good news! and incase anyone else has this problem in future (though unlikely... someone will be disconnecting it and not reconnecting it themselves anyway...) the cable connects into the top of the EIS and slides into place. Not entirely sure what it's purpose is... but yes. That's where it goes!

I think it has something to do with some kind of "lock" on the transmission to prevent gear changes? perhaps it's comes into play after the ELS responds confirming steering wheel unlocked.

Okay... so good news! and incase anyone else has this problem in future (though unlikely... someone will be disconnecting it and not reconnecting it themselves anyway...) the cable connects into the top of the EIS and slides into place. Not entirely sure what it's purpose is... but yes. That's where it goes!

I think it has something to do with some kind of "lock" on the transmission to prevent gear changes? perhaps it's comes into play after the ELS responds confirming steering wheel unlocked.
If you YouTube another c/CLK footwell parts/problem question it might that show your cable in the background somewhere?

If you YouTube another c/CLK footwell parts/problem question it might that show your cable in the background somewhere?
Yeah I tried that and found nothing but eventually I managed to find something after finding the name of the cable and researching that, then discovered it connected to the EIS unit. Thank you though

Now I'm waiting on a mechanic to come and hopefully fix my ELS/EIS problem (at least it better be that!)

Okay, I literally googled "w204 cables" and sifted through images, and eventually came across the cable that appears to match mine exactly. Apparently it is a "GEAR SELECTOR RELEASE CABLE" or "GEAR LINKAGE CABLE" but I have no idea where this is suppose to be installed too?? and why would this be in the steering column area ?
I am no expert, but doesn't this Cable point towards your:rolleyes::oops: Original Problem of "Steering Wheel won't Lock/Unlock"?

I am no expert, but doesn't this Cable point towards your:rolleyes::oops: Original Problem of "Steering Wheel won't Lock/Unlock"?
No it doesn't , it's totally unrelated in fact. It connects into the EIS but was not the problem. I fixed the steering wont unlock problem now, it was the ELS itself. It was just....well...broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom