What 'purpose' does your big AMG Saloon serve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just bought a C63S, when people ask me why did you go from your big diesel Audi A6 that does everything really well and economically to a V8, I just say three words to them - 'Why be normal?' (words which were actually emblazoned down the size of an 8,000hp top fuel funny car I saw at Santa Pod one year - sums it up perfectly for me).

Considered an E63 along with an F10 M5 prior to this car but couldn't justify the size for 2 of us.

Go for it, i'm certain you won't regret it.

I've got an E63 wagon - wanted one for ages, looked at a few & after a test drive was hooked...
It does everything i want, commute, holidays (Germany/France) dump runs, shopping etc & when you want fun, boy does it get a wiggle on...
I love it cause the locals refer to it as the chinook when it starts up in the morning, it makes all my friends jealous as they all drive euro boxes, you very rarely see another one & it does more than 20mpg.......what else ticks all the boxes....???

S65 is my every day car. Usually on a 30 miles round trip to my place of work and then some - e.g. getting a £4.99 masonry drill at B&Q to finish some job at home. Or carrying a load of cardboard boxes inside to a local skip.

It doubles up as my fun car too, when my go fast AMG project car is in pieces and being worked on (which is always these days).

Fastest production car of the 1980's: Porsche 959 0-60 in 3.5 seconds
And you're looking at E63 wagon 0-62 in 3.5 seconds

How could you not ?

(I've been to Affalterbach and I've done the VIP factory tour. I want something else, but I do know why people want an AMG.)

BTW - a 959 will cost you a million quid or more today.

car_photo_399742.jpg

I'd never bother to try and rationalise buying a car like an AMG.

It's a purchase of the heart.

If you've always had the urge to own a fast saloon, then I'd recommend doing it.

I chose my E55K because it was the best thing I could afford with the budget I had at the time. I considered other options but ruled them out for various reasons.

I'm a one car person despite thoughts of owning two. Mainly because of our parking situation and also, I'd probably not use the "fun" car as much as I think I would. I could have a smaller crap car but then comfort is an issue for me personally.

It has to be practical as I am quite a tall person and deceptively heavy - and so also small 2 door "fun" coupes don't work for me if I can even fit in them in the first place.

If you only have one car, it's nice to have a car that can do most things well, which for me, an AMG saloon did.

One day it can do just shy of 180mph at Vmax. The next day it can chauffeur around London at 30mph in supreme comfort.

It was my daily driver - it forced me to use it all the time rather than any cheaper option I might have and then I got the most enjoyment out of it.

Very early on I got my head around the fuel thing - it was going to use a lot and that was the end of it. I never gave it a thought after that - as long as you can afford what you are putting in and are happy to spend it... that's how I judged it. If I was filling the car and it was costing a grand a month, I might have had to think again. But with 7k miles a year, it was nowhere near.

I never really had to use the car for the shops very much but it was practical enough to. We get our shopping delivered so I minimised car park damage that way.

I also decided that the additional cost of something crap would more than pay for any damage sustained.

I still have fast big cars - just not AMG-fast but I'd still recommend the whole experience (although I personally am not into modern AMGs now as they are too hard for my liking!).

I'd never bother to try and rationalise buying a car like an AMG.

It's a purchase of the heart.

If you've always had the urge to own a fast saloon, then I'd recommend doing it.

I chose my E55K because it was the best thing I could afford with the budget I had at the time. I considered other options but ruled them out for various reasons.

I'm a one car person despite thoughts of owning two. Mainly because of our parking situation and also, I'd probably not use the "fun" car as much as I think I would. I could have a smaller crap car but then comfort is an issue for me personally.

It has to be practical as I am quite a tall person and deceptively heavy - and so also small 2 door "fun" coupes don't work for me if I can even fit in them in the first place.

If you only have one car, it's nice to have a car that can do most things well, which for me, an AMG saloon did.

One day it can do just shy of 180mph at Vmax. The next day it can chauffeur around London at 30mph in supreme comfort.

It was my daily driver - it forced me to use it all the time rather than any cheaper option I might have and then I got the most enjoyment out of it.

Very early on I got my head around the fuel thing - it was going to use a lot and that was the end of it. I never gave it a thought after that - as long as you can afford what you are putting in and are happy to spend it... that's how I judged it. If I was filling the car and it was costing a grand a month, I might have had to think again. But with 7k miles a year, it was nowhere near.

I never really had to use the car for the shops very much but it was practical enough to. We get our shopping delivered so I minimised car park damage that way.

I also decided that the additional cost of something crap would more than pay for any damage sustained.

I still have fast big cars - just not AMG-fast but I'd still recommend the whole experience (although I personally am not into modern AMGs now as they are too hard for my liking!).
What do you have now John?

You don't but it because it's practical, you buy it for enjoyment and happiness.

Sounds bloody brilliant.

I love a surprisingly quick barge.

I love it actually. Like the AMG, it's one of the best cars I've had.

I thought the CL looked amazing (and it also went similarly-well being the same powertrain) but it suited me less and less as time went on.

In all honesty, the V8 is wasted on me now and I doubt I'd buy another but I intend to keep this car a while to see how things go with cars in the future.

The things I really like are the front seats (comfort option with lots of adjustment and massage), Magic Body Control (a chicken pops out the dash, I put on some white gloves, move the chicken around whilst playing "Upside Down" by Diana Ross, the chicken's head stays still, and then hand the chicken back), Distronic, 360 Camera and a non-OEM upgraded audio system.

It rides like a dream and it does go like bat sht but most of the time it's a silent double-glazed cruiser you can waft around in.

I can charge a lot more for airports runs over my AMG now too.

I'm on my second E63 now. Currently its a W213 model, a lot better than the W212 face lifted car I think.
The noise is fantastic, it looks the part, its really nice inside, goes like stink whenever you ask it, yet happily toddles to the shops in style.

Plus, where I live, they are pretty exclusive cars on the road which I really like.

I'm on my second E63 now. Currently its a W213 model, a lot better than the W212 face lifted car I think.
The noise is fantastic, it looks the part, its really nice inside, goes like stink whenever you ask it, yet happily toddles to the shops in style.

Plus, where I live, they are pretty exclusive cars on the road which I really like.
I note you say the 213 is better than the 212 and I do agree with you for outright ability etc but, I found it hard and uncomfortable - didn’t buy it because of this. I found the 212 was much more “Mercedes” like if that makes sense. I think the new cars are too focused chasing M cars and RS cars.

Might I introduce a slight deviation to this fantastic thread? For those that have had both AMG and the simply hirsuit large V8s i.e. 500, what has been the difference to you between the two experiences?

The AMGs are stupidly, intimidatingly quick, really; the 500s rather more sensible. They're also less likely to lose you your licence...

I note you say the 213 is better than the 212 and I do agree with you for outright ability etc but, I found it hard and uncomfortable - didn’t buy it because of this. I found the 212 was much more “Mercedes” like if that makes sense. I think the new cars are too focused chasing M cars and RS cars.
Yeah, definitely more firm. 20 inch wheels don't help either

Yeah, definitely more firm. 20 inch wheels don't help either

What they give up in terms of compliant/comfortable ride, they give back a lot more in terms of agility and precision. They are not track cars but when pushed with all that torque they don’t feel like they weigh 2 tonnes at all.

Over the years I have run a string AMGs from a C55 and E55 through to a couple of SLK55s and a W212 E63 which has been breathed on by Acid at MSL. I am a commercial photographer shooting everything from fashion to motorsport, and advertising campaigns to warbirds, and it has been an absolute requirement that any of my 'big saloon cars' has been able to carry all my equipment ( by which I mean not just cameras but lighting, tripods lighting stands, monopods, multiple lenses, laptops and more chargers and batteries than you could shake a stick at), to any location across the UK and Europe in any weather.

All three saloons have been brilliant in their own way but the E63 is at a different level. It doesn't matter if I am in the centre of London in the rush hour, or blasting down an autobahn in Germany, it is just superb. As docile as a lamb when needed but a complete animal at a prod of the throttle - just immense.

Over the time I have had the E63 (about 55,000 miles) it has averaged 22.6 mpg and it is always loaded and I don't hang about, so a mixture of in town driving and high speed motorway work. Interestingly conversations with other photographers suggest that apart from a few hybrids that are now beginning to appear in the arena, most of the other cars being used are averaging only about 25mpg doing similar work. Many of these are diesels.

These cars are built to be used. They are completely wasted sitting in garages. Buy one , enjoy it and get the most out of it.

Might I introduce a slight deviation to this fantastic thread? For those that have had both AMG and the simply hirsuit large V8s i.e. 500, what has been the difference to you between the two experiences?

I can't talk to 55k's and E63's but I can compare E500's to the older generation of AMG's which seem to generally be quieter, sofer-riding and, of course, slower than their successors.

The 211 E500 estate that I had was very similar performance-wise to the 212 C43 that it replaced.

The 212 E500 that I have now is a very similar package performance and handling-wise to the 210 E55. More modern in many ways of course but a very similar recipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom