What 'purpose' does your big AMG Saloon serve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Might I introduce a slight deviation to this fantastic thread? For those that have had both AMG and the simply hirsuit large V8s i.e. 500, what has been the difference to you between the two experiences?
For two cars so closely related they actually feel miles apart.

MPG - its worthwhile alone telling people you get a real 18mpg or 25 on an economy run...

When they bore you with 55mpg at 47mph.....

Local Shell garages all know me well and always ask how the E is going - thankfully very well I can say again!!

If you are going to buy a bear - make sure its a grizzly.. :p

Might I introduce a slight deviation to this fantastic thread? For those that have had both AMG and the simply hirsuit large V8s i.e. 500, what has been the difference to you between the two experiences?
When I bought my SL500 I also looked at the SL55 just to make sure I wasnt missing out on something really awesome albeit for twice the money. The SL55 sounded superb, the performance was impressive and I enjoyed test driving the car immensely but I also thought the SL500 was superb but in a different more relaxed way. Driving in the sunshine, hood down at 50-60 mph in either cars feels pretty similar IMO. Do i sometimes wonder if the 55 would have been the better option? No, not at twice the price of a 500. Never say never though! :)

When I bought my SL500 I also looked at the SL55 just to make sure I wasnt missing out on something really awesome albeit for twice the money. The SL55 sounded superb, the performance was impressive and I enjoyed test driving the car immensely but I also thought the SL500 was superb but in a different more relaxed way. Driving in the sunshine, hood down at 50-60 mph in either cars feels pretty similar IMO. Do i sometimes wonder if the 55 would have been the better option? No, not at twice the price of a 500. Never say never though! :)
Have you heard the noise that an Abarth 124 Spider generates from a 4 cyl 1.4 ltr?

I've been trying to persuade my Mrs to swap her SLK for one, neither of us needs much more performance and the sound is epic for what it is.
They sound excellent for a small engine, its all about clever exhaust engineering rather than pure engine sound. They're not particularly quick but as you say how much performance do you really need.

20200809_163224_copy_600x800.jpg

...if you can do it with the fun car, do it with the fun car - a big V8 saloon (or coupe!) is incredible, but it's still a car - use it as one!

For my 40th I rented an Aston DB9 for 3 days. Between awesome blasts with mates (and scaring the life out of my Mum, especially when she thought I'd bought it!) I made a point of going to Sainsbury's in it, just because I could :)
Don't worry about justifying something like an E63, just get out there and enjoy it!

OMG

Slightly unusual situation for me...

My E55 was a 211 and as standard, it was very similar to my S500 in terms of performance (even though the S500 is 200kg heavier and running at 455BHP whereas my E55 was running 510BHP as standard).

Once the E55 was modified and running around 600BHP (it was a lot faster) but still a very comfortable and capable car.

I tried a W212 facelift E63 getting on for 4 years ago now but in a similar vein to what HB (above) found with the W213, the W212 was too hard and uncomfortable for me and I didn't get on with the MCT-7 gearbox.

I've done plenty of hard-suspension lowered hot hatches through my early years, moving on to more tuned but still a firm ride in my E36 M3 Evo in my mid-20s.

The E55 was never a hard AMG and made a great GT - the best of all worlds for me.

The CL500 BlueEfficiency which replaced it had some of the pace of the AMG but was a proper GT - but too impractical for me as above.

As time has gone on, I'm moving further away from the direction AMG has taken with the E63 (competing with the M5 and Nissan GT-R I guess) into even more refinement (through necessity to save my licence initially so with some resistance from me but now I've got used to it, I won't go back).

Similar to LondonScottish above, albeit different models, for me the 222 S500 is the natural successor from my E55.

I did try a "new model" 2012/62 Lexus LS460 (using the older shape underpinnings) and I was warned by SPX it would be shyte, and he was right.

I do have a hankering for an AMG GT but I didn't much enjoy the roofline on the CL, and the 218 CLS is far worse for me and so a GT would be a nightmare!

MPG - its worthwhile alone telling people you get a real 18mpg or 25 on an economy run...

Local Shell garages all know me well and always ask how the E is going - thankfully very well I can say again!!

I actually enjoyed and found it most-amusing telling people that I got 17/18mpg out of my AMG when I ran one.

It reassured me that I couldn't give a flying.

Slightly unusual situation for me...

My E55 was a 211 and as standard, it was very similar to my S500 in terms of performance (even though the S500 is 200kg heavier and running at 455BHP whereas my E55 was running 510BHP as standard).

Once the E55 was modified and running around 600BHP (it was a lot faster) but still a very comfortable and capable car.

I tried a W212 facelift E63 getting on for 4 years ago now but in a similar vein to what HB (above) found with the W213, the W212 was too hard and uncomfortable for me and I didn't get on with the MCT-7 gearbox.

I've done plenty of hard-suspension lowered hot hatches through my early years, moving on to more tuned but still a firm ride in my E36 M3 Evo in my mid-20s.

The E55 was never a hard AMG and made a great GT - the best of all worlds for me.

The CL500 BlueEfficiency which replaced it had some of the pace of the AMG but was a proper GT - but too impractical for me as above.

As time has gone on, I'm moving further away from the direction AMG has taken with the E63 (competing with the M5 and Nissan GT-R I guess) into even more refinement (through necessity to save my licence initially so with some resistance from me but now I've got used to it, I won't go back).

Similar to LondonScottish above, albeit different models, for me the 222 S500 is the natural successor from my E55.

I did try a "new model" 2012/62 Lexus LS460 (using the older shape underpinnings) and I was warned by SPX it would be shyte, and he was right.

I do have a hankering for an AMG GT but I didn't much enjoy the roofline on the CL, and the 218 CLS is far worse for me and so a GT would be a nightmare!
Once you’re in then they’re huge inside, although you may find the top of the windscreen is too close to your field of vision. Getting and out is to easy, and it gets more “interesting” the taller you are, and the larger your frame!

I "only" have a C63.
It is my daily driver but we do have a Focus for shopping and going on holiday.
I bought it because it has a V8 engine that makes a fantastic noise and it can push you back into the comfortable seats when you put your foot down.
If that is enough then get one and you won't regret it.
If that isn't enough then get something else and you won't regret it.

Once you’re in then they’re huge inside, although you may find the top of the windscreen is too close to your field of vision. Getting and out is to easy, and it gets more “interesting” the taller you are, and the larger your frame!

I suspected as much!

Similar story in the CL - voluminous once in. It was getting in and out, especially with wide single-hinge doors in parking spaces and an SWB S Class size overall that made things harder.

Perhaps a smaller (I presume) AMG GT would be easier in that respect although I've not looked and they are probably a lot bigger than I think... maybe E Class size.

I'd go and sit in one and try it before I considered one anyway.

I just love the look of them now and the sound - they've really grown on me over time.

Really - the cashiers as the local Shell garages know you and your car.....:oops::rolleyes: and ask about it.......come ooonnnnn!

Really - the cashiers as the local Shell garages know you and your car.....:oops::rolleyes: and ask about it.......come ooonnnnn!

People are a lot more friendly the further up north you go so it wouldn't surprise me.

I once pulled up at a fuel station on the way to my in-law and some random guy from the area (correct accent) started talking to me about how impressed he was with my car and what model was it etc.

You never get that down south or at least I never have.

I did a trip up to the Red Lion in the North York Moors for lunch today. While I love AMGs, the SL400 was a lovely, comfortable & spirited drive (between flocks of sheep). :) I had to close the roof about halfway there as it was getting too warm ......

Last edited by a moderator:
People are a lot more friendly the further up north you go so it wouldn't surprise me.

I once pulled up at a fuel station on the way to my in-law and some random guy from the area (correct accent) started talking to me about how impressed he was with my car and what model was it etc.

You never get that down south or at least I never have.

I live in North Yorkshire! I've pretty much exclusively used the same BP for 3 years - the till staff are usually too busy to remember me or chat about my car......;) I'm probably not good looking enough.:mad:

and it gets more “interesting” the taller you are, and the larger your frame!

I *just* fit in the GT, in a similar fashion to in the 129 - find the one seating position that gives acceptably compromised leg and headroom, and live with it.

The header rail doesn't bother me as its no different to being in the SL, but it definitely feels a little more cramped. I don't think I could live with it on a daily basis, and John's thoughts definitely give perspective - I'd be better with an S than a CL, and possibly than an E55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom