• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What spark plug socket would I need?

Raf565

Car
Mercedes c63 AMG w204
Hi on the c63 amg w204 2008
I want to change my spark plugs
What size sockets would fit 14" and would it be 1/2 or 1/4 as it's quite a small space for a socket to fit

Hi on the c63 amg w204 2008
I want to change my spark plugs
What size sockets would fit 14" and would it be 1/2 or 1/4 as it's quite a small space for a socket to fit
14” is over a foot, that’s a big socket. Suggest perhaps 16mm but check against your plugs.

You also get a 3/8" socket set. However not my favourite. Duno why i always either use a 1/4" or 1/2".

Spark plugs probably require something beefier than a 1/4" to get them out. I would probably opt for a 1/2" drive myself

A further point - plug sockets are usually hex rather than 12 point to ensure maximum grip on the soft metal of the plug.

Don’t you have a socket set? They generally come with a couple of plug sockets and all the basic accessories for the job.

Spark plugs are frequently over-torqued on installation :( and should be fitted with the aid of a torque wrench This means that to remove them may require hefty 1/2 " drive sockets??? ---fitting can normally be achieved with smaller 3/8 1/4 drives.

Spark plugs are frequently over-torqued on installation :( and should be fitted with the aid of a torque wrench This means that to remove them may require hefty 1/2 " drive sockets??? ---fitting can normally be achieved with smaller 3/8 1/4 drives.
Yeah but then you also have to consider thermal expansion / contraction of dis-similar metals and chemical reactions. So getting them out is harder than putting them in. Hence 1/2" drive

Last edited:
I imagine the problem has got worse since the introduction of long life spark plugs. In the past spark plugs might be changed at 25,000-- 30,000 miles. Now the change intervals have been extended 70, 80, even 100,000 miles the thermal expansion and contraction problem has more time to develop. It has been suggested that a shorter period of time to routinely remove and inspect them-- but not necessarily replace them----might help to alleviate the problem. Needless to say many people would reject this on the grounds of excessibility/labour cost but might be a possibility for the DIY mechanic thinking in the longer term?

Food for thought, if you need to use an extension bar try and use a locking one to save the plug socket getting stuck on the plug itself (rubber insert).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom