Whats your strategy for year 2030 / ban of ICE vehicles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi , Until a reliable charging network is provided its 99 Octane for me.

I was told to buy a diesel car : I duly conformed

I was to to buy a petrol car : Again I duly conformed.

I was told to buy a battery car : Not interested

A battery car only makes sense in a town element / low annual mileage.

Has anyone been watching the new Fifth Gear shows? I have but after watching three episodes I am stopping. Can anyone make an EV that stirs the soul? Seems not, even the converted Porsche 911 EV was rendered soulless.

Me neither, i don't think the oil barons of the world will give up that easily. Who knows they might even help with investment in cleaner ICEs. Just a thought 😇

MJ, you are on a loser with the awkward squad.

Swotty is an ex local authority guy which is a breeding ground for political weirdness, he will have spent a whole career having circular and pointless arguments.

Quit before they drag you down to their level. :)

I accept, as evidenced by your postings, that you are the forum - and perhaps world - expert on all things weird.

I am in awe and bow to your weirdness.

Has anyone been watching the new Fifth Gear shows? I have but after watching three episodes I am stopping. Can anyone make an EV that stirs the soul? Seems not, even the converted Porsche 911 EV was rendered soulless.

No disrespect to any AMG owners on here, but for me, cars lost their soul when fuel injection became mandatory due to emissions regulations.... nothing (on four wheels) comes close to the sound of two (or three) twin Weber 45 DCOE carbs sucking air through K&N filters at full throttle... when they banned them, that was (for me) the day the car died.

Nobody ‘told’ me to buy a diesel car.

Nobody ‘told’ me to buy a petrol car.

Nobody is telling me to buy a battery car.

I buy what I want or what I need at the time and then I can’t blame other people.

I accept, as evidenced by your postings, that you are the forum - and perhaps world - expert on all things weird.

I am in awe and bow to your weirdness.
I know what I am.

Who told you?

I've been driving around London a lot for the past couple of weeks, spending 2-3+ hours driving with an average speed of 12-15mph and very short distances, under 40 miles, sometimes just 15 miles but hours of driving. I can't but help thinking a small electric (second) car would make so much sense, but I can't afford one. Or a Taycan.

No disrespect to any AMG owners on here, but for me, cars lost their soul when fuel injection became mandatory due to emissions regulations.... nothing (on four wheels) comes close to the sound of two (or three) twin Weber 45 DCOE carbs sucking air through K&N filters at full throttle... when they banned them, that was (for me) the day the car died.
I do love carbs, my dad has twin 45’s on his hill climb Westfield. Glorious. However, I’ve been playing with the carb on my little Villiers and it’s been a PITA to get it running sweetly!

Personally I can’t get enthused about an EV motor in the same way I can about ICE. Maybe it’s because there’s something about the controlled explosions, flames and noise in an ICE that appeals to our primal instincts? Perhaps we’ve just been lucky in that our main form of transport for so long has also (for some people) been a source of such enjoyment as well. Maybe we’re heading towards a time where our transport will become purely functional and we’ll have to look elsewhere for an alternative stimulus to replace that from the ICE?

I've been driving around London a lot for the past couple of weeks, spending 2-3+ hours driving with an average speed of 12-15mph and very short distances, under 40 miles, sometimes just 15 miles but hours of driving. I can't but help thinking a small electric (second) car would make so much sense, but I can't afford one. Or a Taycan.
No idea of your budget but a Peugeot Ion, Citroen C-Zero, or Mitsubishi i-MIEV are relatively affordable and have barely depreciated after the first year or two of free fall. Cheap motoring for those who’ve owned them.

Maybe we’re heading towards a time where our transport will become purely functional and we’ll have to look elsewhere for an alternative stimulus to replace that from the ICE?
I reckon that for the majority of the population are already there. (And have been for a while).

A car for me now is for function only.

No idea of your budget but a Peugeot Ion, Citroen C-Zero, or Mitsubishi i-MIEV are relatively affordable and have barely depreciated after the first year or two of free fall. Cheap motoring for those who’ve owned them.
Geezer at work has recently picked up a Mitsubishi for less than £10,000. Lovely car.

Ther's also this one:

Though having owned a Renault (Scenic II) for 5 years, I have no appetite for another Renault... ever. And my first car was an 1958 Renault Dauphine!

I do love carbs, my dad has twin 45’s on his hill climb Westfield. Glorious. However, I’ve been playing with the carb on my little Villiers and it’s been a PITA to get it running sweetly!

It's a black art - that's the beauty of it. Very difficult to get right... and very rewarding at the same time.

Here are a few of the tools I used back in the day...:

From 1:00:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You have to admire the car industry that has turned the CO2 crisis into a wizard money making wheeze which keeps most smaller companies from entering the industry. (Yes, there's a small number of entrants, but the destruction of opportunities for small car companies has been dramatic)

So much "energy" being wasted on the EVangelism, while no-one is talking as "energetically" about the need to find other ways to travel, the need insulate homes, reduce heat wastage, reduce long-haul flights, global shipping, or even methane production from agriculture.

Clever chaps these oligopolies.

Factcheck: How electric vehicles help to tackle climate change
View attachment 122532

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom