• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wheel alignment (what about steering wheel?)

mikrt

Car
2013 C220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport Plus 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
Had 2 new Continental Premium Contact 7 fitted to the front of my car last Friday, along with front wheel alignment @ my local Protyre centre.

My wife dropped it off @ the centre as she only works down the road, and she picked it up and went away for the weekend, so today was the 1st chance I get to drive it since.

They didn't give her any paperwork (I was hoping for a tracking before & after report - they state they use Protyre Hunter Hawkeye), and they told her the tracking was way off- which was no surprise to me (now fixed they said).

My issue is that the steering wheel isn't anywhere near centred, it's more like @ 1 o'clock position, and the OCD in me can't bear it.

Is this something that should have been part of the alignment? or should I need to pay extra to get it sorted?

Thank you

Had 2 new Continental Premium Contact 7 fitted to the front of my car last Friday, along with front wheel alignment @ my local Protyre centre.

My wife dropped it off @ the centre as she only works down the road, and she picked it up and went away for the weekend, so today was the 1st chance I get to drive it since.

They didn't give her any paperwork (I was hoping for a tracking before & after report - they state they use Protyre Hunter Hawkeye), and they told her the tracking was way off- which was no surprise to me (now fixed they said).

My issue is that the steering wheel isn't anywhere near centred, it's more like @ 1 o'clock position, and the OCD in me can't bear it.

Is this something that should have been part of the alignment? or should I need to pay extra to get it sorted?

Thank you
It is poor attention to detail.

Take it back and ask them to reset the alignment with the steering wheel correctly centered.

It is poor attention to detail.

Take it back and ask them to reset the alignment with the steering wheel correctly centered.
Thank you - that's top of my to-do list for the morning 👍🏻

I suppose the cost, lead time, location all play a part. Busy people often look for quick, easy options rather than proper solutions.

Could anyone please advise.....
If I were to ask for the Hunter before & after reports, would they be stored on their computer available to print for me?

Take it back ASAP and be sure they dont remove the steering wheel and reposition it to make up for the shody work they have done . Steering wheel should have been clamped in dead ahead position before any work was done . .You will find that the turn signals wont cancel or return as soon as you select to turn.
I had my W123 set up after front end steering components were replaced ,.That was the same as yours is now . Sorry to say this ,but it took two more visits to other shops till it was finaly put right .

Phoned them this morning, and fairplay they made all the right noises - "bring it up this morning and we'll put it up on the lift and sort it out for you"

So I'm just off now, 🤞

Well their explanation made sense, but if only they'd said last Friday to Mrs T.

They said the tracking was ****-on, but they couldn't get the steering wheel lined up, as one of the tie-rod nuts was seized.

When it was up on the lift he showed me, and indeed it was, and they don't have any heat there for this situation. They did say they've been trying to get gas in for these issues, but none forthcoming yet.

Luckily my mate 1 mile away has a lift and gas so I managed to free the nut and take it back for them to finish.

The screen was all green when I left, so happy days eventually.

Well their explanation made sense, but if only they'd said last Friday to Mrs T.

They said the tracking was ****-on, but they couldn't get the steering wheel lined up, as one of the tie-rod nuts was seized.

When it was up on the lift he showed me, and indeed it was, and they don't have any heat there for this situation. They did say they've been trying to get gas in for these issues, but none forthcoming yet.

Luckily my mate 1 mile away has a lift and gas so I managed to free the nut and take it back for them to finish.

The screen was all green when I left, so happy days eventually.
Pretty poor for a wheel alignment place not to have the means of freeing a seized nut. I wonder how many cars are driving about your area with misaligned steering wheels - well done for persevering and getting it fixed.

Never take a car to them again. many basic scan tools can show zero degrees of the steering wheel and every alignment place I have ever been to have a telescopic pole to lock the steering wheel in place .

No heat ?? at an alignment shop ?? the mind boggles . If they can't get insured for open flame hot work they should buy an induction heating kit.

No paperwork ? printout ? receipt ?

OP , are you sure to took it to a wheel alignment shop ? Time to name and shame.

Never take a car to them again. many basic scan tools can show zero degrees of the steering wheel and every alignment place I have ever been to have a telescopic pole to lock the steering wheel in place .

No heat ?? at an alignment shop ?? the mind boggles . If they can't get insured for open flame hot work they should buy an induction heating kit.

No paperwork ? printout ? receipt ?

OP , are you sure to took it to a wheel alignment shop ? Time to name and shame.
Deffo an alignment centre lol.

I watched it this morning on the Hunter Hawkeye system.

It's not insurance preventing the gas, can't get head office to pay for it apparently.

Could anyone please advise.....
If I were to ask for the Hunter before & after reports, would they be stored on their computer available to print for me?

Hunter saves all SAVED jobs, so as long as they completed the job (on screen the operator has to click the ‘file drawer’ icon to save the job) and not just hit the reset key (which effectively scrubs the details as if the vehicle was never there), so a reg search will bring up a list of all times that vehicle was looked at/adjusted.
Where I work the Hunter gets memory dumped whenever it’s upgraded, which is usually every 12 - 18 months. That wipes the memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom