• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

which email program for iphone?

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hi all

Got my wife a 3gs iphone for Xmas, she loves it.
Need to set her up with own email address - looking for push email to the phone (just like my blackberry) which can be used with windows mail on her laptop (ie duplicate messages on server - get it on the phone and on the pc later).

Reading between the lines there seems to be a big sway to gmail but then info I have found is that its not really push, the phone searches for mail within the time parameters set by the user. Would infinitely prefer it go go to phone, not rely on phone to "look".

All you more-techy-than-me chaps out there, what would you recommend? I need to set up today really.

Cheers

John

As you have discovered, I use Gmail. It checks for mail every half hour and suits me fine.

M.

Am i right in saying though that gmail is web-based, not useable in windows mail /outlook and the likes ?

Last edited:
Hotmail works fine with the iPhone, syncs easily

That actually looks quite good. How secure can a freebie like that really be ? ie where do they make money to cover overheads? If I understand the video correctly its effectively like online storage which 2-way update-syncs with all your devices? Would work superbly for my business with four different pc's in differing locations.

I don't know how it relates to email thought whitenem?

That actually looks quite good. How secure can a freebie like that really be ? ie where do they make money to cover overheads? If I understand the video correctly its effectively like online storage which 2-way update-syncs with all your devices? Would work superbly for my business with four different pc's in differing locations.

I don't know how it relates to email thought whitenem?

Only free up to 2gb above that monthly charges come in.

I have 3 devices sync'd, laptop, pc and iPhone. Change a file on any one and within 20sec changes are sync'd across the others. Took about 30sec to upload and sync a 10mb assortment of files. I like the undo feature where yo can recover deleted files.

Ah! email, yes, well, cough.. :o

I just use hotmail.....

I tried to set up my google apps email via the above method this morning and it still does not work, I thought that the update from google implied that the sync should work by pull, just not by push? Or is it that I need different settings if using google apps?

Thanks

Tan

as stated in post 11 there is a problem with Gmail servers which is affecting the Push service at the moment.
I just signed up today with nuevasync which reliably syncs your gmail contacts, calendar and pushes your emails to your iphone. free trial for 5 days, then $25 per annum.
working well so far.

I enabled Google Sync and all is working fine now.

so just to reiterate, push works with hotmail?

To my knowledge you may need a third party app for hotmail with push.

As I said gamil works fine for me. Sure it has some issues, once in a blue moon. But it is free so I'm not complaining.

To my knowledge you may need a third party app for hotmail with push.

As I said gamil works fine for me. Sure it has some issues, once in a blue moon. But it is free so I'm not complaining.

I don't have push Hotmail. The iPhone pulls new mail at user settable intervals.

Yes - I use mBox mail (£5.99 app) push works a treat, get hotmail emails straight to my iphone.

Additionally there is IM+ which gives IM (inc MSN) with PUSH. SO any IM messages can be received with push.

Thanks to all for this.

Solved. I realised that I could add Mrs JB an email address to my company domain-based email, therefore she can get it on the iphone, and Windows Mail.

Seemples -like me :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom