Which locking pliers do people recommend?

Jonesy161

Active Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2015
Messages
328
Car
W204 c220 sport
That's why they lasted 55 years ...you never used them because they didn't show you how during your apprenticeship ! :D
I thought they were adjustable spanners for most of that time.
 

Wolfie1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
Oct 18, 2017
Messages
1,365
Location
Aberdeen
Car
C180 AMG SPORT+, A180 AMG LINE and an FD RX7
These 10" Irwin locking pliers are the 'big pair' that I'm going for. As said, now the owner of the original Vise-Grip brand 👍

Good price at the moment on Amazon
You will find they will be too big for a lot of stuff, i would recommend 7’ ones, at work thats the ones i use 95% of the time the other 5% i use the small long nose ones, obviously when im needing to use vice grips
 
OP
OP
MrGreedy

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 13, 2020
Messages
1,207
Location
Here and there
Car
E350 CDI
You will find they will be too big for a lot of stuff, i would recommend 7’ ones, at work thats the ones i use 95% of the time the other 5% i use the small long nose ones, obviously when im needing to use vice grips
I do a lot of house DIY renovation at the moment, and the big pliers are used regularly for that. The 7" long nose Stanley locking pliers are currently £9.99 at Screwfix, so that will be another pair. I can have a go and lock/feel the quality of those two, and decide what brand I'll get, or if I want to try a different brand.
 
OP
OP
MrGreedy

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 13, 2020
Messages
1,207
Location
Here and there
Car
E350 CDI
What’s the score with a ‘deleted member’ making posts??
Well, it was Ashlee86 at the time of posting, but since yesterday their account has been deleted. I guess it will either be for significant Forum rule breach and therefore banning, or at the request of the forum member who wanted their account deleted, which happens from time to time.
 
OP
OP
MrGreedy

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 13, 2020
Messages
1,207
Location
Here and there
Car
E350 CDI
Well, what a stroke of luck. I was setting about ordering some this evening.
Amazon flash sale, I've ended up with the following Irwin 3 pliers set:


£29.26, normally £40, but same reduction on FFX. Amazon probably price matching. Cheapest they've been since 2015.
Yes please 👍
 

Petrol Pete

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 11, 2016
Messages
6,784
Location
Petrol stations ...everywhere
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
I thought they were adjustable spanners for most of that time.
Like that really thin adjustable spanner I was given, you know , the one with the measurements etched on it. Rubbish at tightening bolts but I believe some of the brainier 'appies worked out you could measure stuff with it.

I couldn't handle such witchcraft so became an electrician instead.
 

Jonesy161

Active Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2015
Messages
328
Car
W204 c220 sport
Like that really thin adjustable spanner I was given, you know , the one with the measurements etched on it. Rubbish at tightening bolts but I believe some of the brainier 'appies worked out you could measure stuff with it.

I couldn't handle such witchcraft so became an electrician instead.
Yeh, similar to those small ‘c’ clamps I used to use, you know, the ones with the very fine adjustment (0 to 1”) (1” to 2”) etc, and the little clicky thing on the end.
I had the choice of lechy or mechy, colour blindness helped with the decision, oh, and also not understanding all the fuss about two wires!
 
OP
OP
MrGreedy

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 13, 2020
Messages
1,207
Location
Here and there
Car
E350 CDI
I got the Irwin 3 pliers set delivered today.

On 2 of the pliers, there is slight lateral play in the head (the moving jaw), meaning the tip of the jaws can be positioned whilst closing the pliers anywhere between 3mm left or right of the central position for the fixed jaw. The third pair is rock solid.

Not the end of the world and for less than a tenner a pair I can live with it.

What is noticeable is when closing and locking the pliers, they snap/click locked very obviously and securely, and I'm sure will be capable of a much tighter grip than the junk I have already 👍
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom