Which SLK55 R172 to Buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
People, I need your advice. I'm after an R172 SLK55, and I just can't make up my mind.

I've identified two. Both colour schemes are OK, both have impeccable service history, their prices are a gnat’s whisker apart.

They are:

January 2013, black, private sale, 55k miles, three owners (dealer demonstrator six months, present owner seven years), marginally nicer wheels, quieter tyres (69 vs 73 db), better spec including reversing camera, Performance Pack (includes LSD) and pan roof, very fastidious present owner with huge history file for his ownership, needs nothing until service in December.

October 2015, Tenorite grey, dealer sale (terrible reputation for customer service), 1300 miles in the trade since November last, 65K miles, one owner, bare service history, three months warranty (less than comprehensive), missing its fabric draft stopper, due A service (now) and needs rear tyres, so add £600 to the sale price.

It seems unlikely either will go wrong in the next six months, so the dealer's rep and the poor warranty doesn't really put me off the younger car. I don't think either car will turn out to be a bad buy. The question is, does the better spec on the older, three-owner, car make it worth only £600 less than the newer (nearly three years) but slightly higher mileage one-owner car with no history file?

What does the team think?

Difficult choice.

I think there were minor revisions to the later cars (central display in the instrument cluster certainly, not sure what else), but probably not enough to sway a decision.

The Performance Pack is desirable (and rare), plus the fastidious owner would probably push me towards the older car which I suspect would be easier to move on when you're done with it.

People, I need your advice. I'm after an R172 SLK55, and I just can't make up my mind.

I've identified two. Both colour schemes are OK, both have impeccable service history, their prices are a gnat’s whisker apart.

They are:

January 2013, black, private sale, 55k miles, three owners (dealer demonstrator six months, present owner seven years), marginally nicer wheels, quieter tyres (69 vs 73 db), better spec including reversing camera, Performance Pack (includes LSD) and pan roof, very fastidious present owner with huge history file for his ownership, needs nothing until service in December.

October 2015, Tenorite grey, dealer sale (terrible reputation for customer service), 1300 miles in the trade since November last, 65K miles, one owner, bare service history, three months warranty (less than comprehensive), missing its fabric draft stopper, due A service (now) and needs rear tyres, so add £600 to the sale price.

It seems unlikely either will go wrong in the next six months, so the dealer's rep and the poor warranty doesn't really put me off the younger car. I don't think either car will turn out to be a bad buy. The question is, does the better spec on the older, three-owner, car make it worth only £600 less than the newer (nearly three years) but slightly higher mileage one-owner car with no history file?

What does the team think?
Id get the 2013 car with lower miles and previous fastidious owner! Better spec, lower miles, better history. Stick a personalised plate on it and no-one will know the age if that bothers you.

Difficult choice.

I think there were minor revisions to the later cars (central display in the instrument cluster certainly, not sure what else), but probably not enough to sway a decision.

The Performance Pack is desirable (and rare), plus the fastidious owner would probably push me towards the older car which I suspect would be easier to move on when you're done with it.
Ditto my thoughts value-wise BUT be aware trying to keep a black car clean is a nightmare unless: a. You're not too bothered about a car that will look dusty within a mile or so of having washed/polished it. b. It can be garaged or c. you like cleaning cars.

I would go for the older car, no hesitation. However I believe you think the same, your wording tells me you’re concerned about the new car - go for the older one. Performance Pack is very rare too 👍🏻

NOT BLACK....would be my advice on any car purchase.....every mark and swirl shows up terribly, every ping looks much worse than it it....and having polished it a few particles of dust completely ruins the effect......if its metallic black though that fine!!

Ditto my thoughts value-wise BUT be aware trying to keep a black car clean is a nightmare unless: a. You're not too bothered about a car that will look dusty within a mile or so of having washed/polished it. b. It can be garaged or c. you like cleaning cars.
Option a. I've never found that being dusty makes the slightest difference to how the SLK55 R171 it will replace drives, and that's black too.

It's metallic black.

I don't know about SLKs but from what you've said definitely the older car; rare desirable spec and excellent history would easily sway it for me. There's a lot more potential for negotiating a lower price if it's a private sale as well.

Either way, good luck 👍

I have the datacard, and in fact the black one came out of the factory in July 2012, so it's three years and three months older than the grey one; it sat on an airfield somewhere for six months before being registered. I think that changes the price equation somewhat? The black one has only had a couple of minor faults, so it turns out the history isn't much more than just the routine servicing invoices.

Future resale value is not a factor.

Last edited:
Having had one ( a standard 2012 55 ) I would go for the older car with the Performance pack and pan roof and especially a fastidious owner. A poor service history would scare the pants off me especially as the selling dealer doesn’t hav a good reputation and who knows how the 1300 miles in trade hands has treated the engine etc.

All car values are set from 1st registration date regardless of how long it's been sat in a compound. However if the model is getting near an upgrade the earlier cars are pre registered resulting in a discount when you buy them. They are still a brand new car. My wife bought Corsa that was pre registered in Scotland and brought down to Manchester on a car transporter. If I'm not mistaken it had 8 miles on the clock and it was about two grand cheaper than the upgraded one.
You pays your money you take your choice. :thumb:

Both have impeccable service histories, all either main dealer or good indie. I take the point about the trade use, though.

I know how the valuation system works, but I'm looking at what a car is worth to me, not the book price. Six months extra age makes a difference to me.

I'd go with the majority here and choose the older car.
Too many negative points on the Tenorite car although its newer.

Have you actually driven R172's yet? It's a "more civilised" thing than the R171.

Might that be a problem for you? (See your earlier comments about the Audi etc)

I have the datacard, and in fact the black one came out of the factory in July 2012, so it's three years and three months older than the grey one; it sat on an airfield somewhere for six months before being registered. I think that changes the price equation somewhat? The black one has only had a couple of minor faults, so it turns out the history isn't much more than just the routine servicing invoices.

Future resale value is not a factor.
Any negatives associated with being sat for 12 months will be long since behind it now. I really wouldn’t worry too much about that.

I'd go with the majority here and choose the older car.
Too many negative points on the Tenorite car although its newer.
Take the dealer negatives out, though, and they don't worry me much because I don't expect to need any 'customer service', and there's not that much between them. Both service histories are impeccable (I've checked...).Three owners, better spec, 10k miles fewer vs. one owner, 10k more miles, three years newer? It's still far from a slam-dunk...
Have you actually driven R172's yet? It's a "more civilised" thing than the R171.

Might that be a problem for you? (See your earlier comments about the Audi etc)
I think it will be OK. Reviews at the time commented on the stiff suspension, and apparently the R172 has valves in the exhaust if more volume is needed. I reckon I can live with one.

I thought the grey one had a "bare service history"? Was that a typo?

I think it will be OK. Reviews at the time commented on the stiff suspension, and apparently the R172 has valves in the exhaust if more volume is needed. I reckon I can live with one.
For sure, but as we discussed before, the suspension on the R172 isn't as stiff as the R171 SLK55, and the car is quieter, lighter, smoother and has a quieter exhaust than your R171 SLK55

These aren't just my comments after being driven as a passenger by friends who own them. Lots of owner comparisons around, like this one: My Thoughts on the R172 SLK55

"Despite the obvious similarities between the two cars there are a number of differences which I think really stand out. The ride quality is far superior in the R172 and handling seems to have improved considerably too. The R172 feels lighter at the front and seems to turn in better and with less body roll than my R171. Granted the mileage difference and condition of the suspension may have a bearing on this sensation but I believe the R172 is far less prone to understeer. The better ride quality and improved handling kind of make the R172 a little less exciting and less challenging to drive than the R171 at times. The R171 feels more of a raw sports car than the R172 but the latter is definitely more capable at the same time. It took me a long time to settle with the new car and I only really bonded properly with it on our recent trip to the Lake District. Another striking difference between the 2 cars is the exhaust note. The revised exhaust system with flaps appears to have been born out of the need to make the car sound ok when running in ECO 4 cylinder mode. It has made the car a fair bit quieter the R171."

I thought the grey one had a "bare service history"? Was that a typo?
No, but as it turns out, the black one's history file isn't much more than that either. I don't need lists of tyre tread depths as measured every 5000 miles, to name but one irrelevance.

For sure, but as we discussed before, the suspension on the R172 isn't as stiff as the R171 SLK55, and the car is quieter, lighter, smoother and has a quieter exhaust than your R171 SLK55

These aren't just my comments after being driven as a passenger by friends who own them. Lots of owner comparisons around, like this one: My Thoughts on the R172 SLK55

"Despite the obvious similarities between the two cars there are a number of differences which I think really stand out. The ride quality is far superior in the R172 and handling seems to have improved considerably too. The R172 feels lighter at the front and seems to turn in better and with less body roll than my R171. Granted the mileage difference and condition of the suspension may have a bearing on this sensation but I believe the R172 is far less prone to understeer. The better ride quality and improved handling kind of make the R172 a little less exciting and less challenging to drive than the R171 at times. The R171 feels more of a raw sports car than the R172 but the latter is definitely more capable at the same time. It took me a long time to settle with the new car and I only really bonded properly with it on our recent trip to the Lake District. Another striking difference between the 2 cars is the exhaust note. The revised exhaust system with flaps appears to have been born out of the need to make the car sound ok when running in ECO 4 cylinder mode. It has made the car a fair bit quieter the R171."
I think I can live with that; maybe it's time for a change. I'm getting older... I've read lots of reviews of the R172, and I can recall one that was very complimentary specifically of the exhaust sound. Go figure...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom