• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Which watch?

I would recommend Seiko. Good prestige/history, excellent watches at every price point and lots of different styles. Some iconic watches available around £500. You might get a speed timer if you look around, or personally I’d go for a solar diver. Very versatile. I’ve had a Seiko BFK for well over a decade - it’s a bit beaten up now but I love it.

Some great suggestions on here already. You cannot go wrong with a Seiko nor many of the suggestions.

I’ve done exactly the same for my 16 year old son this Christmas. He surprised me by asking for a watch and sent me a few pics of what he likes (he has never shown an interest before). He wanted a relatively simple watch, so with many cross over watches on the market it makes it a bit easier (tool / field / diver). But he did say he’d like a blue dial.

I’m into watches and over the last few years have been following a number of microbrands. Some of their watches are fantastic and you do tend to get a very decent spec for the price. Therefore I’ve bought him a watch from a Danish brand called Henry Archer. You need to consider the watch dimensions, my son’s wrist is 17cm so the watch below is a good fit. See below:

IMG_1773.jpeg

Some good choices in here, I'm not going to suggest a marque as there are just so many similar ones.

What I would recommend to the OP however, would be to take a look at Creation Watches. They are Singapore based so "may" attract a duty payment though I've used them many times and never paid any.

If nothing else, they're good for browsing, as is Chrono 24 though this can be a bit of a rabbit hole. :D

Some good choices in here, I'm not going to suggest a marque as there are just so many similar ones.

What I would recommend to the OP however, would be to take a look at Creation Watches. They are Singapore based so "may" attract a duty payment though I've used them many times and never paid any.

If nothing else, they're good for browsing, as is Chrono 24 though this can be a bit of a rabbit hole. :D
+1 for Creation; although I did have to pay duty on the SKX009J I bought from them a few years ago.

+1 for Creation; although I did have to pay duty on the SKX009J I bought from them a few years ago.
Another +1 for Creation. I bought my Seiko from them. No duty paid - it was described as a "Horological gift"!

+1 for Chrono 24. I found two NOS 1960's Tissot Rally bracelets for my dads Breitling on there. He was chuffed as his original had completely worn out and was unusable. He now has a new one and a spare which should last him till he's about 180 years old! (I didn't buy both bracelets with me in mind, honest!)

I have a few Spinnaker watches, which are good, solid workaday watches, mostly with Seiko movements, and they look and feel dearer than they are. Should they tempt you, I get mailshots from what I assume is a sister company, Mainspring Boutique, where you con often buy them, and others, cheaper.

Some great suggestions on here already. You cannot go wrong with a Seiko nor many of the suggestions.

I’ve done exactly the same for my 16 year old son this Christmas. He surprised me by asking for a watch and sent me a few pics of what he likes (he has never shown an interest before). He wanted a relatively simple watch, so with many cross over watches on the market it makes it a bit easier (tool / field / diver). But he did say he’d like a blue dial.

I’m into watches and over the last few years have been following a number of microbrands. Some of their watches are fantastic and you do tend to get a very decent spec for the price. Therefore I’ve bought him a watch from a Danish brand called Henry Archer. You need to consider the watch dimensions, my son’s wrist is 17cm so the watch below is a good fit. See below:

View attachment 150900
Link here:

Just popped into my inbox today, Swan & Edgar, some nice looking pieces. Worth a look. Also 20% off with code XMAS20

View attachment 150900
That's a good looking timepiece :cool:

Thanks for everyone's input - I've got a bit of looking to do now. Its not for Christmas so no rush but I'll report back if anything happens!

Hi , if you are looking for a really accurate wristwatch have a look at the Bulova Percisionist range.

Watch accuracy is a real talking point.

My watch is accurate to + - 20 seconds per year plus it is rated to 300 meters depth ( what that means you can snorkel with the watch )

I think 300 is far more than crush depth of submarines but again a talking point.

If it's accuracy you want, a Casio Lineage radio watch is hard to beat. It synchronises itself with the NPL atomic clock transmitter at Anthorn* every night. Mine has a titanium case so weighs next to nothing and a sapphire crystal. It's solar powered so never needs a battery change and in case you're worried about our unsunny climate it will run for four months in darkness before going into hibernation. I've had Breitlings before, but this is by far a better watch. It just works. Stylish too.

*or one of many others, depending on where in the world you happen to be.

Reactions: JHS
My opinion is to avoid the microbrands, especially if it's from a shifty looking character parked outside a petrol station in a MK3 Astra GTE, that's trying to sell you a cheap Krug Baumen that's advertised for thousands more in the Mercedes Benz club magazine.

Stick to an established watch brand. Seiko, Citizen, Seiko, Bulova, Tissot, Hamilton, Casio, Rotary etc all make watches in that price range. If he decides that he wants to get into the hobby, he'll find the microbands by himself.

Hi , if you are looking for a really accurate wristwatch have a look at the Bulova Percisionist range.

Watch accuracy is a real talking point.

My watch is accurate to + - 20 seconds per year plus it is rated to 300 meters depth ( what that means you can snorkel with the watch )

I think 300 is far more than crush depth of submarines but again a talking point.
The waterproof rating is nothing to do with how much depth you can take it to. For example a 30m rated watch cant go into water at all....its only resistant to splashing.

My opinion is to avoid the microbrands, especially if it's from a shifty looking character parked outside a petrol station in a MK3 Astra GTE, that's trying to sell you a cheap Krug Baumen that's advertised for thousands more in the Mercedes Benz club magazine.

Stick to an established watch brand. Seiko, Citizen, Seiko, Bulova, Tissot, Hamilton, Casio, Rotary etc all make watches in that price range. If he decides that he wants to get into the hobby, he'll find the microbands by himself.
Appreciate your opinion but over the last few years Microbrands have been thriving and are now an integral part of the watch buying scene. Many are now mainstream brands. In most cases not only do you get a better specification for your money, but you also now get many more watch options than going down the old route of the mainstream brands.

Both old established and newer brands, including microbrands are all options to be considered.

Baltic, Yema, Christopher Ward, Studio Underdog, anOrdain and Zelos are great examples of microbrands who are now considered a mainstream watch brand.

Appreciate your opinion but over the last few years Microbrands have been thriving
You don't need to convince me. I'm a fan of micro brands. I bought a bunch of watches on the AliExpress sale including a Sugess automatic chronograph which might be the nicest $450 watch I've ever bought. I'm blown away by the quality of what's coming out of thee small brands, and I'm on the helm waiting list.

If I was giving a watch away as a gift? No, unless they specifically ask for one. Not many people.will have heard of them, their friends won't either, and in a few years, the company might be out of business. If he's going to spend around 500gbp, pedigree might mean something to the OP or his son, or it might not. It's just my opinion.

You don't need to convince me. I'm a fan of micro brands. I bought a bunch of watches on the AliExpress sale including a Sugess automatic chronograph which might be the nicest $450 watch I've ever bought. I'm blown away by the quality of what's coming out of thee small brands, and I'm on the helm waiting list.

If I was giving a watch away as a gift? No, unless they specifically ask for one. Not many people.will have heard of them, their friends won't either, and in a few years, the company might be out of business. If he's going to spend around 500gbp, pedigree might mean something to the OP or his son, or it might not. It's just my opinion.
Yes that’s a very fair point and I get where you are coming from.

I’ve bought a watch for my Son that is from a microbrand and yes they may at some point go out of business, or indeed thrive. At the price point “£500” it makes little difference whether you buy mainstream or microbrand as neither are likely to appreciate in value, but the microbrand watch could. At this price point I think you should just enjoy the watch for what it is. Most of my sons friends have bought watches branded to clothes companies such as Boss etc, the irony is that these watches are at the price point lower quality and made by the Movado group, normally with a quartz movement. I get why youngsters like to follow fashion, but I’d rather hope my Son appreciates the quality and build of a watch, so would have had no issue buying a Seiko or similar at the price point (I’ll find out soon whether it back fires on me lol).

Reactions: JHS
Try Christopher Ward products they are U.K. company making some decent watches and some around that price, I purchased one for my son that was around that range but cannot remember which one.

I have two of them, the Trident range are decent.

Robin

+1 for Christopher Ward watches. I have three Trident C60 (in different colours, two are limited editions.

Their after sales service is more than excellent - I had an issue with one that I had bought from eBay, so sent it in for a quote. Excellent communications, and the watch was returned, nicely repaired and polished, a couple of weeks later without charge!

The automatic mechanism is - incidentally - also able to be wound traditionally, so there is no need to invest in a watch winder if it is a "weekend wearer".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom