Wifi extender problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
My problem seems fairly widespread according to the net, however, have any of you guys got any ideas or explanations please?
I have a BT Home Hub 4 on BT infinity, getting great speeds on my wired PC of 74Meg and reasonable wifi speeds too. In my household there are two iPads, two iPhones, an Apple TV device and a printer all connected wirelessly and up to the point of setting up my wireless repeater in my shed halfway down the garden, they all worked perfectly.
When I set up the wireless repeater, it works fine when connecting to it, however all other existing devices that are connected wirelessly to to the Hub 4 either connect so slowly they are not usable or do not connect at all. The printer won't connect at all, nor will the Apple TV. The pads and phones work but very slowly. As soon as I unplug the repeater, everything works ok. I have tried changing the wireless channel of the repeater and changing the SSID to no avail. I have also swopped out the Hub 4 for a Hub 5 and still get the same problems. Interestingly, if I use an old Hub 2 and connect that via an Ethernet cable to use as a wireless (wired) access point, the same issues occur. So it seems the Hub 4/5s don't like any wired or wireless extender connected to it. Any ideas?

Change the BT Home Hub for an Apple AirPort Extreme, then extend the range to your shed with an Apple Airport Express. Had wifi streaming problems between my Mac and Apple TV, not any longer with the Apple router. Hope this helps.

That's a great idea, but at a combined cost of about £230, it's a bit excessive to get wifi to the garage at the bottom of my garden

Just gone through a similar issue with the Virgin Tech helpline, who insisted I had to 'feed' everything directly from their [POS] 'SuperHub' modem - which was delivering a far than super 5mb wifi against the 100mb incoming. I ran a cat6 ethernet cable to a splitter, hard-wired the house PCs from that and also ran a line to a CISCO router.....wifi speed test attached....Thanks Virgin.....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Attachments

• image-168165583.jpg
    image-168165583.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14
I have a Home Hub 4 on BT Infinity and recently added a cheap wireless extender (Belkin N300) to improve the signal upstairs ... no problems at all!

We have just moved to Sky for our broadband and the speed has improved from around 6Mb/s with EE to20MB/s, all fine there but there are still some coverage issues upstairs, the main problem I think, is the very thick internal walls in the cottage.

Are Sky routers easy to use with wi-fi extenders? Anyone have any specific recommendations for Sky routers or will any do the job?

As an aside I was pleased to see that download speeds are the same on the wireless connection or directly connected via network cable as I thought directly cabled would be faster.

Think I'm going to try one of those powerline adapters that broadcast a wifi signal at the far end(my garage/workshop)

Think I'm going to try one of those powerline adapters that broadcast a wifi signal at the far end(my garage/workshop)

I've used these or similar for years with varying degrees of success, although more recently this technology in general appears to be working more reliably. I've noticed, in my place at least, that I have to unplug all of them and then plug them back in at least every couple of months, else the performance drops right off.

I recall getting about 20Mb/s (Speedtest) in one of my remote rooms that uses one of these. Used to have them in the garages too but switched to high gain antennas that focus the signal on to a hot spot.

I've used these or similar for years with varying degrees of success, although more recently this technology in general appears to be working more reliably. I've noticed, in my place at least, that I have to unplug all of them and then plug them back in at least every couple of months, else the performance drops right off.

Many thanks for that!

We use DLAN adapters and I'd not heard of this before. I just turned the one by the home hub and the one by the computer off and on again ... speedtest went from 11 to 37 megs :thumb:

Thought it had been going a bit slow recently :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom