Will these alloys look good on my E class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I bought the car a few months back the dealer told me he had the alloys refurbed as they weren't up to his sale standards. They look gorgeous with an awesome slightly shiny chrome like finish. Result is that I haven't curbed a single wheel since buying the car because I'm so afraid of spoiling them😁 Each time I park away from home I'm lowering the side mirror to get a good look at where the curb is! I'll probably be needing a new electric mirror motor by Christmas. Yeah I'm a bit concerned for the ride quality, if it's a tiny bit then it's the price to pay for the cool wheels but if it turns it into a w204 sport then i'll be very sorry.

You can teach the mirror to drop automatically when reverse is selected on most models.

You can teach the mirror to drop automatically when reverse is selected on most models.
From what I’ve found about this on other posts it seems u need to have memory seats which I don’t have sadly. Someone in a post suggested engaging reverse, adjusting mirror down then going back to drive and it should teach it to dip each time but don’t think it will work for me as all the times I’ve dipped it myself then gone back into D as I’m manoeuvring it’s never started doing anything automatically after that.

My E500 (Airmatic, though) Elegance was on 245/45/17s when I bought it, and is now on 245/40/18s. The ride is still excellent.

So I'd plan on putting 225/55 R16s on as they are the stock size Merc puts on their AMG W212s and would prob look best. I'm afraid I can't remember what my tyres are and don't have the car on hand to check, but put it this way my current ones are the stock SE size, they're by PACE, nothing fancy so probably already compromising a bit of ride quality, although I've not had the car long so wouldn't know the difference between how my current budget tyres feel and premium ones. Since the car has the SE suspension perhaps having lower profile tyres but being saved by the suspension would cancel out too much added harshness?
Does your car not have the parking reverse feature when the passenger side mirror automatically moves to let you see how close the rear wheel is to the kerb ?? my 2006 203 C class has it.
On the headlamp/mirror control unit push and leave in the button selecting the left hand mirror and from then on every time you select reverse the mirror will move down to a pre selected (by the driver , stored in the memory) position giving you a clear view of your rear wheel in relation to the curb. If you try it and the mirror does not move RTFM it might be that it has never been set to move and entered into the memory.

My E500 (Airmatic, though) Elegance was on 245/45/17s when I bought it, and is now on 245/40/18s. The ride is still excellent.
I looked long and hard for an E220 with airmatic but only one was a private seller and I needed to part ex my last car I'm afraid. I think in your case having airmatic makes all the difference- you could probably put almost anything on and it would feel the same. Looks like if I went with the wheels I'd just have to hope it's not too bad. At least I'd still have the SE suspension so that might save the quality mostly. Must be fun having an E500!

Does your car not have the parking reverse feature when the passenger side mirror automatically moves to let you see how close the rear wheel is to the kerb ?? my 2006 203 C class has it.
On the headlamp/mirror control unit push and leave in the button selecting the left hand mirror and from then on every time you select reverse the mirror will move down to a pre selected (by the driver , stored in the memory) position giving you a clear view of your rear wheel in relation to the curb. If you try it and the mirror does not move RTFM it might be that it has never been set to move and entered into the memory.
I don't think I have it sadly. I'll try what you recommend next time I'm parking somewhere. When you say memory, would my car need memory seats? Unfortunately I don't have those :(

Also-

has anyone with an SE E class put the stock 18" AMG wheels on? This car for sale on Autotrader has. What do people think? If anyone has done this on theirs please do post some pics:D

Attachments

• MBCLUB 3.png
    MBCLUB 3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • MBCLUB4.png
    MBCLUB4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
I don't think I have it sadly. I'll try what you recommend next time I'm parking somewhere. When you say memory, would my car need memory seats? Unfortunately I don't have those :(
Yes i looked for this as well but i don't think i have it either - mine's a 2011 E250 Avantgarde S212- without memory seats. :(

Not sure about the memory seat bit , but my passenger mirror has 2 memory positions for each of the 3 memorised seat positions ( I think I just inadvertently answered your memory seat question there ) . it can be set for 'driving position' and 'reversing position' to suit the driver on each of the 3 memories available.

Not sure about the memory seat bit , but my passenger mirror has 2 memory positions for each of the 3 memorised seat positions ( I think I just inadvertently answered your memory seat question there ) . it can be set for 'driving position' and 'reversing position' to suit the driver on each of the 3 memories available.
Too bad I don't have those seats! It's very annoying how the rest is electronic but then to go forward or back, you have to lean down and find the thing to pull- very annoying if you're on the move (which is when I always seem to be dissatisfied with where the seat is:wallbash:). Not really what I'd expect from a luxury brand tbh, should be fully electric as standard. Memory seats optional perhaps but fully electric adjustment really needs to be standard on mid size sedans. I've seen that BMW are mean about this too lol.

Yep, you've definitely given me the answer😁 next time I'm getting a Merc with the memory seat package!

Not just BMW; my son's 2014 Audi A6 Avant has the same, though only on the passenger seat (I think). So does my 2003 E class, but the driver's seat has full memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom