Windcreen Cleaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Apart from not being impressed with my MB wiper rubber refill and having gone back to my older MB wiper blade, i think my glass actually needs a good clean.

The usual is a shampoo of car with AutoGlym and either just leather dry or from time to time I use Autoglym Fast Glass windows cleaner.

However the glass is smeary and in todays rain you could actually see rainbow oil patterns from the outside.

Is the T-Cut idea a good one that was posted a while back?

I need to do something to restore the glass free from all the residue that's on it.

It's pitted all over (really could do with replacing), but any experience of ways to clean?

Autoglym car polish is good, but Vinegar can be used as a cutting/degreaser agent on the window also, got any Mr. Muscle window cleaner?

Thanks.

I don't really want to buy any more potions or put any thing else on my screen (I heard rain X can cause judder on the mono-wiper?).

In the garage I have T-Cut, Autoglym Polish and AutoGlym Paint Renovater Polish (like T-Cut I guess).

Which would you use, the regular polish or the cutting polish?

Graham - an old motor trade trick

A thin smear of swarfega - does the job nicely as it is after all a degreaser!

wipe a small amount over the screen, and clean off with a damp rag. then clean with a normal sponge and "chammy off" - optional rain x can then follow

HTH

Mark

Graham...I will clean the windscreen for you on the GTG on the 16th !:)

Originally posted by wax wizard
Graham...I will clean the windscreen for you on the GTG on the 16th !:)

I may take you up on that. Although my car is generaly kept clean, it sounds like I am in a different league to you.

However a clean windscreen with these single wipers seems to be essential.

You are going to be busy!

What I've found that works brilliantly are these blue "microfibre" cloths - you can buy them from Halfords or even Vileda ones from Tesco!

You just spray a thin mist of water on the glass and then polish it off with the cloth. It has millions of fibres and of course, doesn't leave any kind of residue at all. It's the same as the Zymol microwipe if you have any of those.

These are also brilliantly for cleaning the interior - as there is no wax/spray/polish to use there is no smearing at all.

One of the best products I bought all year!!:p

Tosborne scrawled

What I've found that works brilliantly are these blue "microfibre" cloths - you can buy them from Halfords or even Vileda ones from Tesco!

Spotted the vileda one at the local Supermarket and snuck it into the trolly without the boss noticing ;) ... absolutely remarkable thing indeed. I really cannot shout loudly enough about this cloth, its bloomin fantastic.

Washed and dry'd the car as per normal and then went over it again with this cloth, windows bodywork, everything and look at the results below - well impressed I was.

frontw.jpg

Just a thought cus i havent used this on my windscreen yet only the cooker.But i was thinking about HOB BRIGHT.I use it on a glass cooker hob at home, so it won't scratch or damage glass, and it removes an awfull lot of grease or baked on food so i thought if it get's rid of that maybe it will be good for getting off dirt from a windscreen?

Originally posted by pluggers
Just a thought cus i havent used this on my windscreen yet only the cooker.But i was thinking about HOB BRIGHT.I use it on a glass cooker hob at home, so it won't scratch or damage glass, and it removes an awfull lot of grease or baked on food so i thought if it get's rid of that maybe it will be good for getting off dirt from a windscreen?
Just be careful and use it sparingly eh?

I use Wind*wlene on my windscreen, just like the glass in the house. It is good for shifting the nasty stuff, and then I wash the whole car as normal with car shampoo - that seems to do the trick.

Originally posted by pluggers

Very Scouring mate. As Shude says use with caution.

Recommend "Mister Muscle" and your own muscles M8.:D

Did anybody find out what the Wax Wizards magical solution was before he magically dissapeared, just like a wizard.:p

My new car has fairly bad pitting and a bit of scratching, could claim on the insurance again but I dont like to.

try claying the windscreen very carefully, u can clay windows and bodywork, works perfect on front windscreen, but make sure u use a very light clay bar, if u need help email me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom