Wipers/windows electrical problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 300CE
Hi Everyone, after much debating (over a Jaguar X300 or a Mercedes) i have just purchased my first ever Mercedes, a 1990 300CE!

She's in great condition and i intend to keep her for some years to come, however, there are a few electrical niggles which seem to have come to light and hope someone maybe able to point me in the right direction. They are as follows:

1) The wipers do not work at all (it moved about 5 inches and just stopped). It doesn't squirt any water either - there is no noise from the motor and there is plenty of water in the bottle. The forward 'high beam pass' does not work either, however, constant high beam does work if i flick the stalk back (when the lights are on) and the indicators work fine. I'm not sure if it needs a new stalk or if it is a relay issue.

2) The windows go down but do not go back up again unless i open the drivers door!! Its the same with the sunroof - i can open it but it wont close unless i have the door open. I'm not sure if this has any relation to the above or whether this is an earthing problem.

Any ideas/info/details/help on this matter would be extremely appreciated!!

Cheers, Justin.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, after much debating (over a Jaguar X300 or a Mercedes) i have just purchased my first ever Mercedes, a 1990 300CE!

She's in great condition and i intend to keep her for some years to come, however, there are a few electrical niggles which seem to have come to light and hope someone maybe able to point me in the right direction. They are as follows:

1) The wipers do not work at all (it moved about 5 inches and just stopped). It doesn't squirt any water either - there is no noise from the motor and there is plenty of water in the bottle. The forward 'high beam pass' does not work either, however, constant high beam does work if i flick the stalk back (when the lights are on) and the indicators work fine. I'm not sure if it needs a new stalk or if it is a relay issue.

2) The windows go down but do not go back up again unless i open the drivers door!! Its the same with the sunroof - i can open it but it wont close unless i have the door open. I'm not sure if this has any relation to the above or whether this is an earthing problem.

Any ideas/info/details/help on this matter would be extremely appreciated!!

Cheers, Justin.
All sorted! After looking through previous posts, which is probably something i should have done earlier, it shows that this is usually a problem with Fuse No 2. Bought a new one and replaced it and everything is working fine (wipers/water squirters/windows/sunroof/main beam flash).

The fuse looked ok, but was pretty brittle after taking out - I'm going to replace the whole lot over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom