• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wot? No Mercedes!

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Bentley Bentayga D V8, BMW i3
I currently find myself Mercedes free again. Why would I give up a perfectly good GLE and 'lower' my sights to something more ....well....Swedish?
It's another of those unintended consequences. Oddly, it was brought about by my acquisition of the Mazda MX5 in the spring for my wife to enjoy the summer moorlands on her daily Buxton commute. After many years in tall SUV vehicles, she had begun to think that it was obligatory to be able to 'see over the hedges'
As it turns out, there is life at a lower level and it has been difficult to get her out of the little car that makes you smile each time you turn the steering wheel for 'Vera' the winter Land Rover.
That is our default vehicle for local runs, taking the dogs in and supermarket car parks.
The GLE was the long distance car. There is a reason 'Defender' and 'Deafener' are close in the dictionary.
I have always preferred large estate cars to SUV's and have sampled and owned (inc. 2 x E class) most of the brands over the last 15 years. Given that my wife would now accept something lower and she had liked the Volvo SUV we tried prior to the GLE purchase, we went to test drive the V90. Armed with my wife, my trusty sound meter and a healthy dose of scepticism, the test drive was actually far better than I thought. My wife even approved!
Then I found a pre-reg example with the right spec. for a price close to 40% off RRP....and they were prepared to take my Mercedes at £3k more than the Mercedes dealer offered. The cost to change to a 3.5 year younger car was just under £1k. An E estate would have been £5k more!
I've never owned a Volvo before, but the dealer experience and initial running are all very positive.
Fuel fills of 60% the GLE cost and no unexpected out of warranty costs make sense to me.

IMG_0109.jpeg
Even the reg plate came with love and kisses......soon to be changed back to my private plate.
I do love Scandi cool blonde interior!
E17.jpeg

Time will tell if it was smart move;)

I sat in one of those in a Volvo showroom last year, I loved the look of it but really didn't want a 4 pot diesel.

I sat in one of those in a Volvo showroom last year, I loved the look of it but really didn't want a 4 pot diesel.
In a former life as as Sound Engineer, I did the sound for the Feelgoods at Aylesbury Friars club and the Marquee in Soho.....;)....in 1977....

Back in the day I had a Volvo 960 after the Rover Vitesse Turbo and before a couple of BMWs, a Nissan and my AMG. 80000 miles in two years and nothing went wrong. My wife still thinks it was the best car we ever had. Smooth straight six petrol engine too.

Like the clean lines of the interior unlike the recent offerings from Mercedes which seem cluttered with unecessary detail by comparison. Sometimes you can get too much visual information. I know, I know--I've been watching Sky Arts Landscape Artist of Year again! :oops:

Last edited:
In a former life as as Sound Engineer, I did the sound for the Feelgoods at Aylesbury Friars club and the Marquee in Soho.....;)....in 1977....
Could have been a couple of eventful evenings.

Assume that Wilco had left by then? 1977 was right on the cusp for him.

Could have been a couple of eventful evenings.

Assume that Wilco had left by then? 1977 was right on the cusp for him.
Wilco was there, it could have been late '76. What I remember most is needing wellies to wade through the beer soaked carpets in the Marquee, and needing a week to clean up the all the kit in the aftermath:confused:

I've never owned a Volvo, but used to have them (Estates) regularly as hire cars when I had to transport lots of computer kit around for demos. I always liked them and found the seats very comfortable over long distances. I liked the fuss-free, really solid feeling and very functional interiors - you know, the sort of thing Mercedes used to do........

I remember that bastard T5 howling down Craner Curves.
Interesting car the 850 racer, but not for the obvious fact that it was an estate.
Designed by my good friend and race car designer Richard Owen, it was the first front drive touring car to be mid engined with the motor tucked down beneath the dash bulkhead behind the front axle!
Richard had just done the XJ220 with me and the Volvo then set the template of the following Super Touring cars.:)

Interesting car the 850 racer, but not for the obvious fact that it was an estate.
Designed by my good friend and race car designer Richard Owen, it was the first front drive touring car to be mid engined with the motor tucked down beneath the dash bulkhead behind the front axle!
Richard had just done the XJ220 with me and the Volvo then set the template of the following Super Touring cars.:)
I hadn't realised that it was possible to change the position of the engine! Impressive staff

Yes, the rules said that the engine must remain in it's original position and orientation, and it was still 'technically' a front, transverse engine.
Just that racers read the rules slightly differently to most and got a car with a lower G of G and a much improved weight distribution, vital in a front drive car.:D

Well the car is great,I have never had a Volvo,but the V90 looks superb,how are you finding the 8 speed box,reading your post looks like you got a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom