Would new Audio 30 need to be coded to the car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterE320Cdi

Car
C219 CLS 320 CDi, R170 SLK 230K, XC60 Past Cars: S210 E320 CDi rusty, CLK 240, S210 E300 DT
I swapped my Audio 30 with one from a breaker and have lost the steering wheel controls and the auto on/off when you turn the car on or off.

Would I need to get the radio coded to the car by someone with Star or have I purchased a fauty unit?

Thanks.

Peter

Assuming you also lost the instrument cluster display of radio station (and it shows something like '---' instead) then you probably didn't plug in the 3rd connector.

There is 1 connector for power (10 way), 1 for speakers (8 way) (sometimes moulded together as one), and 1 with the CAN bus which is where all the communication of the car's status (ignition, lights, etc) is done. That same connector powers the CD changer if you have one (so if you do, and it doesn't work then you know for sure)

Yes, there is coding of an Audio-30, but it should basically work without coding.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do get the "----" on the display when I select audio so pulled out the radio and checked the plugs and they all seem to be clicked in. I tried removing and refitting them but with the same result. I have one normal connector at the top of the unit and a moulded double connector at the bottom.

It was all working OK with the old radio, the problem was that on hot days or 30+ min drivers it would just switch off.

Ok, next step would be to check the model coding incase its coded for a car without CANbus. But that would be slightly strange as it is shaped to a W203/W209/W463 which all have CANbus ..

Richard

It was from an ML55 AMG, I am fitting it to my W210 E320 CDi. The units look exactly the same.

That explains - should have read your profile. Yes, ML55 has no CANbus, whereas a W210 facelift (i.e with steering wheel controls) does - so this explains why the unit is not seeing CAN bus

The unit is *probably* code-able to work.

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom