(yet another) Mobile Phone Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So I need another phone, yet again.

This time to replace my iPhone 5...

I'm not really sold on the 5s; and quite like the look of the nexus 5... what else should I be looking at? Happy to go on contract as my previous contract ended a few months ago and I've had this phone on Pay & Go so far.

The one catch is, I'm an office365/outlook.com user, and really don't want to transfer all my contacts/email to google (which seemed to be the case with the last android I had).

Suggestions?

As a matter of interest, why do you what to move from the iPhone 5, I'm thinking of maybe moving to 4 or 5 (currently still on 3GS!).

The 5 is getting a bit long in the tooth, I'm a bit tired of it, and most importantly, it was a perk with my current employer (from which I resigned last week).

M.

The 5 is getting a bit long in the tooth, I'm a bit tired of it, and most importantly, it was a perk with my current employer (from which I resigned last week).

M.

So basically, it's ok and you just fancy a change...?

ETA: How long in the tooth does that make my 3 :D:D

Personally I'm not a fan of the Nexus devices because you cant use micro SD cards. Aside from that though they are great devices.

I use outlook web mobile on my android to avoid uploading contacts to google. Basically it is webmail in an app. The other great thing is that you don't get activesync security policies pushed to your device so you can have non alphanumeric password options.

I have an 18 month old Note 2 and I think it is the best phone I have ever used (I have most current phone models at my disposal). Big but beautiful and now I have fitted a 9300mAh ZeroLemon battery to it I get three full days hard use out of it between charges. A note 3 has some enhancements but not many and the Note 4 should come out in September time frame.

That said, I'm surprised you don't like the S5 since it is IP67 rated (waterproof and dust proof).

Personally I'm not a fan of the Nexus devices because you cant use micro SD cards. Aside from that though they are great devices.

I use outlook web mobile on my android to avoid uploading contacts to google. Basically it is webmail in an app. The other great thing is that you don't get activesync security policies pushed to your device so you can have non alphanumeric password options.

I have an 18 month old Note 2 and I think it is the best phone I have ever used (I have most current phone models at my disposal). Big but beautiful and now I have fitted a 9300mAh ZeroLemon battery to it I get three full days hard use out of it between charges. A note 3 has some enhancements but not many and the Note 4 should come out in September time frame.

That said, I'm surprised you don't like the S5 since it is IP67 rated (waterproof and dust proof).

Thanks - with the outlook web mobile, are you still able to "see" all your contacts on the phone and call them? Does it sync your contacts with outlook?

At the moment, I'm using an iphone5 and a Nokia X1-01. I absolutely LOVE the nokia, 2-3 months battery life (using it only once a day or so), a pretty loud speaker and actually handles phone calls well...

That said, being pretty basic, it doesn't have whatsapp, email, any of my contacts, etc.

no, it keeps your contacts separate from the phone - the app just screen scrapes webmail without the need to login each time.

Ah, being a personal phone I kind of want all the contacts "synchronized" (just not with google! Happy to pay for an exchange license somewhere).

I'm starting to consider windows phones... but am worried about the lack of apps...

M.

Many corporates no longer support the use of windows phones so bear that one in mind.

If you don't use apps outside of the standard set, you'll be OK with a windows phone. If like most of us you have a bunch if apps that you rely on, check that they are available on the windows platform as many of them aren't.

The one catch is, I'm an office365/outlook.com user, and really don't want to transfer all my contacts/email to google (which seemed to be the case with the last android I had).

Suggestions?

Try a windows phone, yes there are specific apps that are for the android platform only, for me its Torque app thats not supported, having used both systems you hear about the lack of apps but for most things windows does it out the box, for me syncing to onecloud and the office apps built in makes it easy to use, with twitter facebook whatsapp and so on synced into your contact list.

Look at what apps you cannot live without and see if or whats required to run on windows, you might be suprised.

I've seen lumia 520's going for £60 if bought outright... tempted to pop my t-mobile "mispriced" sim in there and see what a windows phone feels like...

Had a nokia 610 when they first came out running the older phone software, upgraded and bought a sim free 625 from carphone warehouse 2 months a go on the newer windows 8 software, breeze to set up, just logged on to outlook and everything synced across.

The 520 runs the new software, bought the 625 with a bigger screen as the reviews rate it highly, and i can read texts without looking for my glasses LOL.

Looked at the phablet versions but a little to big for the pocket, the 625 seems to be a good compromise between the base model and the big ones.

Nexus 5 is spot on. The good thing about it is it's native Android so no bloteware and def no samsung touchwiz...

HTC One M8 ??

I've decided on a windows phone; the whole syncing contacts to google is just something I'm not willing to do again; which is sad as I did like android phones.

Now, given that this is a trial more than anything; I'm looking at the lower end lumias. I'm undecided between a 525 and a 620/625... any suggestions?

M.

Quick update; ended up ordering a Lumia 925. It was hard to say no at under £150 for an unlocked brand new phone.

Should arrive on Friday, so I'll report back on my impressions then. So far, the only app I will struggle without is torque... but then again, I was thinking of getting an android head unit, so that may end up sorting that one out.

M.

and in typical buyers regret fashion, now found a 1020... look at the pictures it takes!
Pictures / Video taken with your 1020 - Page 59 - Windows Phone Central Forums
but it's £240, so maybe worth waiting until I decide I actually like windows phone...

m.

Last edited:
So basically, it's ok and you just fancy a change...?

ETA: How long in the tooth does that make my 3 :D:D

My old 3gs got recycled to her indoors.
I had it for over 3 years and was a good phone.
It lasted less than a month before she dropped it and broke the screen.
That's fixed but it was getting slower and slower plus the battery wouldn't last the day.
Ive recently updated her with a 4s as there have a decent spec similar to a 5.
Plus they are quite cheap to buy new.

I agree if your after a change there are some good features on other brands but the simple option for me was to stay with Apple

Cancelled the 925 order and got a 1020 ordered... worked out cheaper ironically enough!

£240 for the handset
£120 cashback (quidco)
£40 of amazon vouchers (from amazon - O2 refer a friend http://refero2.co.uk/ let me know if you need a referral, it's £40 each)
£20 of nokia store vouchers (- Nokia - UK)
£34 of nokia apps (- Nokia - UK)
a free nokia camera grip (https://nokia1020grip.co.uk/)

Seems like a good deal for a 41megapixel camera... let alone one with a phone attached! The monthly contract I went for is £18 a month, but I can cancel at any time giving 30 day notice... so if I don't like O2, I can change quite easily.

M.

Windows phone has it's quirks, but I like. Recently changed from 800 to 925. Could have got a cracking deal on a 1320 but decided it was just too big for the pocket!

Got both a 925 and a 1020… even though I cancelled the 925.. ugh, o2 support… Time to get the phone unlocked and run for the hills!

On the 1020, I haven't really explored that much… just set up email, linked in, ringtones, a few games (thanks to the £36), a few apps waze, whatsapp (my must-have apps). Initial feeling is VERY positive. The screen is utterly stunning. It looks so much better than the iphone5, I can't get over how black the blacks are. Black areas on the screen look like the screen is off, and it's very responsive.

The only bugbear I have so far is that microsoft are clearly worried people won't know how to use the phone - there are help screen and tutorials for absolutely everything, and I keep needing to skip them for everything I open the first time. I would rather have a play, and then look up online if I can't figure it out… but it's not a deal breaker.

Oh yeah, and the ringtones are pretty sad… but then again, I'm sure I can download my TOS tricorder noises somehow… I almost regret skipping that that tutorial screen.

Oh yes, and the camera… oh my. It is amazing. Turned off all the lights in my office (flash enabled), took a picture of my keyboard from across the room and then zoomed in and could still make out individual keys. My DSLR can't do that without a 200mm lens (admittedly, it's an old 6mp SLR… but still, I am truly impressed)

M.

EDIT: Look at these images taken (not by me sadly) on a 1020: https://www.flickr.com/cameras/nokia/lumia_1020/ . I need to practice quite a bit!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom