• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

£80 for a door mirror LED?!

amwebby

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL500
The blinker lamp on the nearside door wing mirror of my 2000 W215 keeps telling me to replace it as it has gone onto back up lighting.

Looking at the part numbers on EPC for my model year comes up with A2208100164, which is for "Panelling with Blinker Lamp" at a cost of some £85! Yet the facelift model year allows for A2208200621 which is only the blinker lamp at some £25

I've seen aftermarket replacement facelift style LED units which say they fit my model year. Are they correct or am I stuck with buying the whole unit?

Could the unit not be disassembled and repaired?

I reckon it will be something stupid like a burned trace or resistor...

First up, I think I'd leave them eBay ones where they are, the reflectors look a bit rum :D

But, the fact they sell just the lamp unit seriously implies that you will be able to lever (or some other more technical jargon) off the mirror glass and unscrew or detach the main cover.

I wasn't even considering the Taiwanese blinkers, even I'm not that blinkered! Indeed the MB parts only cost a few quid more.

As you say, it does imply that some reverse engineering is possible. However I would not like to take their word for it. I'm hoping someone on here has knowledge of this and can advise me.

So the Taiwanese are being economical with the truth then? I've checked EPC, the diagram (which is the same one as on the Russian site) isn't much help.

W215 Door Mirror.jpg

110 and 50 are the parts in question.

There must be some way around this. At that price it might even be better to replace both door mirrors with the later ones, if that's at all possible...

Are you sure its the lamp thats the problem? The wiring inside the mirror has been known to fracture causing this fault.

I only know what the message from the cluster is telling me. From a quick visual check, the wiring loom that is visible when you fold the mirror assembly away from the body is chafed so it is possible that the wiring inside the casing is fractured. Trouble is I don't know what I'm looking for and labour costs, even at an independent, to track down faulty wiring could easily run up to £80. :crazy:

Another thing.... The wiring looms in the doors fracture too causing such issues also.

The wiring fracture is very easy to find. 1/2 an hour to an hour at the most. The repair takes a little time as its fiddly.

I think you might be right about a wiring fault as the error code only comes up intermittently, some days not at all, some days every time I turn the left indicator on.

1/2 an hour to find and longer to fix still sounds like it could run up to £80. Does replacing the unit provide new wiring or does the problem still exist?

A new unit does not come with the wiring. It comes with the mirror complete.

Surely then the wiring is inside that? I know the door wiring is a separate issue. Do you know if it is possible to upgrade to the facelift mirrors? If I'm replacing the whole unit after all...

Surely then the wiring is inside that? I know the door wiring is a separate issue. Do you know if it is possible to upgrade to the facelift mirrors? If I'm replacing the whole unit after all...

Nope.

It has a connector in the mirror.

I am not sure about the upgrade.

The blinker lamp on the nearside door wing mirror of my 2000 W215 keeps telling me to replace it as it has gone onto back up lighting.

Looking at the part numbers on EPC for my model year comes up with A2208100164, which is for "Panelling with Blinker Lamp" at a cost of some £85! Yet the facelift model year allows for A2208200621 which is only the blinker lamp at some £25

I've seen aftermarket replacement facelift style LED units which say they fit my model year. Are they correct or am I stuck with buying the whole unit?

You can replace both indicators with facelift LED ones for about £25 on ebay. 15 minutes to install for each side

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/memb...739-mb-s320-facelift-door-indicator-leds.html

Last edited:
Thanks Ollie. It sounds like there is little point in buying a new unit until I have eliminated faulty wiring as the cause then. My only conundrum is how to get the thing off.

The instructions I have from WIS for removing the cover tell me to remove the mirror first and the instructions for removing the mirror tell me to first remove the the cover!

Thanks Ollie. It sounds like there is little point in buying a new unit until I have eliminated faulty wiring as the cause then. My only conundrum is how to get the thing off.

The instructions I have from WIS for removing the cover tell me to remove the mirror first and the instructions for removing the mirror tell me to first remove the the cover!

Read WIS again. WIS is ALWAYS right!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom