• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

18" on W124

W124Convertible

Hi

Will I have issues with these Wheels & Tyres on my W124 Convertible. I would like to know if their will be any dangers regarding rubbing and touching inside the arches.

I also have ordered new bolts with 35mm thread length as advised from the locals car parts supplier.

Intra AMG style 2 Alloys -
18 x 8j ET35 fitted with 225/40/R18 tyres :dk:

Please advise :thumb:

Will I have issues with these Wheels & Tyres on my W124 Convertible

Yes

I would like to know if their will be any dangers regarding rubbing and touching inside the arches

Yes

The rears will probably be fine but the the fronts may rub on full lock and through dips. It'll depend on the shape of the shoulder of the tyres you've chosen, the ride height and what suspension you have fitted

Nick Froome

Hi

Will I have issues with these Wheels & Tyres on my W124 Convertible. I would like to know if their will be any dangers regarding rubbing and touching inside the arches.

I also have ordered new bolts with 35mm thread length as advised from the locals car parts supplier.

Intra AMG style 2 Alloys -
18 x 8j ET35 fitted with 225/40/R18 tyres :dk:

Please advise :thumb:
^He is the expert of w124 and you might be have a problem.I`ve told you to go for 17s

AMG 2 for W124

The cars shock and spring set up is standard.

I should have listened :doh: Why ask for advice when u have your mind made up!!

So whats the Best 17 AMG II setup for a W124 Coupe/Cab

Wheel J + ET and Tyre package?

I am humbled in your presence :wallbash:

Last edited:
The cars shock and spring set up is standard.

I should have listened :doh: Why ask for advice when u have your mind made up!!

So whats the Best 17 AMG II setup for a W124 Coupe/Cab

Wheel J + ET and Tyre package?

I am humbled in your presence :wallbash:

I respectfully disagree with the previous poster.

18 x 8 ET 35 with 225/40R-18 tires will fit with zero interference on a standard height 124.

In fact below is a picture of my C124 with the exact setup you mentioned in your opening post.
Tires are Falken FK452.
Note that my C124 is lowered about 1.5" inches with H&R Sport springs and Bilstein HD's.
No interference even with a lowered suspension.

My E320 A124 Cab ( unlowered ) also runs the same size wheel/tire package.:thumb:

Ed A.

CE12.jpg

81408004.jpg

Last edited:
Ed:His intention is to lower the car,so the only reason i`ve advised him to go for 17s,was just to be safe.I would love if you come to drive in London with all the speed bump everywhere.

RBYCC. Your Soft Top 124 looks absolutely superb. Spoil us with a few more pictures please.

Ive got Genuine AMG 8x18"(et31) running Michelin PS2 235 40 18 tyres wheels on my E36 and the car is lowered using H&R 60\40mm drop springs and Brabus shocks. No rubbing even on full lock.

Off topic

RBYCC. Your Soft Top 124 looks absolutely superb. Spoil us with a few more pictures please.

I picked it up several years ago..
One owner, old lady in Boca Raton Florida.
46K miles on the car, many more on the owner !!!

81408008-1.jpg

81408006-2.jpg

HPIM0528-1.jpg

HPIM0521-1.jpg

HPIM0529.jpg

Ed:His intention is to lower the car,so the only reason i`ve advised him to go for 17s,was just to be safe.I would love if you come to drive in London with all the speed bump everywhere.

Roads are as a bad in the USA urban areas !!!

Major USA tire/wheel companies such as Tire Rack and Discount Tire commonly sell the 18x8 ET 35 with 225/40-18 as a +2 wheel/tire package for standard and lowered suspension 124's.

Some of the young kids on the West Coast really "slam" the W124 with a more the 2" lowering.

Still no problem with this combo. :thumb:

Wow and wow again. Obviously owned and run by a true lover of Mercedes. You must feel a $1,000,000 driving that particular car.

Not sure why the wheel diameter makes any difference to rubbing - the rolling diameter is usually within 3% if changing from a 16" wheel to an 18" wheel,due to the offsetting change in tyre aspect ratio.

talbir

Not sure why the wheel diameter makes any difference to rubbing - the rolling diameter is usually within 3% if changing from a 16" wheel to an 18" wheel,due to the offsetting change in tyre aspect ratio.

talbir

Exactly, the difference between a 18" wheel with 225/40 tyre and a 17" wheel with 225/45 (picked the two most common tyre sizes for their respective diameters) is tiny.
Width, offset and tyre choice is far more likely to affect fitment.

81d295ef.jpg

My old w124 coupe with 225/40/18 and a 35mm lowering kit iirc. Never had any rubbing.

Exactly, the difference between a 18" wheel with 225/40 tyre and a 17" wheel with 225/45 (picked the two most common tyre sizes for their respective diameters) is tiny.
Width, offset and tyre choice is far more likely to affect fitment.

81d295ef.jpg

My old w124 coupe with 225/40/18 and a 35mm lowering kit iirc. Never had any rubbing.
What was the lowering kit?

Truthfully I dont know, they came on the car.
I can only presume they were a decent brand as the ride was excellent still but with an obvious handling improvement. Not normally what you'd expect of ebay cheapys lol.
The seller told me they were 25 or 35mm lowered. They were still black springs iirc so may of been Eibachs...

I'm running my E320 with 18" alloys

The car has been lowered, and now sits on OEM-spec Sportline shock absorbers.
I did have one issue with rubbing, but the original shock absorbers were old, worn and tired, so the car was sitting even lower that had been intended by the previous owner who had lowered it.
I was making, erm, "positive" progress down a country road, which was slightly bumper. Because of these old shocks, the bounce and rebound wasn't where it should be, so the wheel bounced one particularly bad bump, and it smacked into the wheel arch, denting it in the process :( :o

Replaced the front shocks (rear had previously been done) and the problem has been corrected.

But this was down to my suspension, not the wheels. If your suspension is in good order, then no problems should arise in my experience :)

Darren

Thanks people !! Will let you know how I get on when I get round to fitting them.
I have also got a chance to get some Genuine AMG Aero 2 wheels locally of someone breaking his Mercedes.

The staggered type front 18x8 ET31 and Rear 18x9 ET35
Do these go on a W124 without issues?

Thanks people !! Will let you know how I get on when I get round to fitting them.
I have also got a chance to get some Genuine AMG Aero 2 wheels locally of someone breaking his Mercedes.

The staggered type front 18x8 ET31 and Rear 18x9 ET35
Do these go on a W124 without issues?

The 9" rear wheels wont fit, there just isnt enough space.

Thanks AKASH -

I thought you had the staggered AMG 18" on your W124 ?

Anyone managed to mount 18x9j ET35 on the rear of a w124?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom