190e help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doesn't look too bad, but I'm not sure it's 'the one'

Leather seats look to have been retro-fitted (can check for you), due to the door cards not matching (they should be leather too).

I quite like it in a way, not sure how much I'd pay for it though. Would probably rather a later one with better provenance personally.

I guess if the mileage all stacks up and there's no other rust on it (there's a small spot above the sportline badge - which has been stuck on by someone..) it could be worth £800-1000 or so?

Will

Thanks Will

It is only guys like you that know all the things that were not there originaly
and the things to look out for.

I had a really low mileage pristine condition one 3 years ago and just wished I had kept it so would like to get another one to replace my W202

Spoke to Paul about his one but he lives too far away and agrees it would be a long haul 370+ miles round trip

Hi Norman,

It looks like a nice car and you've clearly taken great care of it :)

Unfortunately, W202s are cheap as chips these days, so your car is pitched up against lots of other cheap ones.

Although your car stands out amongst the majority with it's low mileage and good condition, I think the manual gearbox might put a large number of buyers off.

Realistically, people want an auto gearbox, leather trim and probably a more 'normal' colour such as silver/black etc.

I'm sure your car will sell, don't give it away unless you're desperate to change - it sounds as though you've spent quite a bit recently so I guess you'd recoup some of that at least.

Best of luck,

Will

Thanks Will

As you quite rightly say manual gearbox and the colour is different so it will not appeal to everybody I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope I can find a buyer.
I can't believe how these cars have dropped in price since I bought mine sellers want more for a 190e now.

Norman

I used to own the white 2.0 Sportline.

When I had it it eventually ran really well & handled very sharply. I say eventually because when I bought it the PO couldn't get it to run worth a damn & gave up on it, selling it cheaply in frustration. I fitted a fuel pump & it ran like a top thereafter. It had been unused for quite a few months when I bought it.

I put the leather gearshift, steering wheel & seats in but didn't have the correct doorcards to go with the seats. Now I have 2 or 3 perfect sets of doorcards & no leather seats to match them to. Typical.

I sold it (to a bloke called Martin from Oxford for £1,950 IIRC) because I had too many cars & wasn't using it.

The mileage is genuine & the SH accurate. I put on the new discs & pads all round. It's had very few miles added since I sold it. I never even considered the number plate to be of any worth & the bloke I sold it to never alluded to any interest in the plate.

Sounds a good un and you have a good bit more background after neilrr's useful post. However I would still be checking for any cylinder head gasket problems since even the good un's have this problem particularly if the antifreeze/coolant has not been renewed often enough which can happen if the car has sat around a lot..

Graeme is right to sound the note of caution.

It was a 18-24 ago I sold it & I have no idea how it's been treated since.

I emailed the guy yesterday with some questions and as yet has not replied,if I am selling anything on ebay I check my mail on a regular basis for this reason so I am not impressed.

Go with your gut feeling Normanr, do you feel that the white one is "the one"?

Go with your gut feeling Normanr, do you feel that the white one is "the one"?

The guy finally replied here it is what you call short and sweet. [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Dear norman_uk,

SOLD

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]- stutzv8

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
He has a way with words obviously:eek: and no the white one is not for me.

Never mind, this is a buyers market. 190s don't seem to be shifting so easily since the credit crunch, so when you do see the one make sure you do some hard bargaining.

Out of interest, is there a particular engine size 190 you are looking for and a particular spec. If any of us see one on the net that might be what you are looking for, we can post the link on the forum.

Hi nullogik

Thanks for the help much appreciated.
I am in no hurry but this will probably take some finding low mileage auto 2.0 no older than a 1990 not green or red LE if possible, they are about because I sold one a while ago with 57000 belonged to a doctor and was his second Merc, It was in brilliant condition and to this day wished I had kept it always had comments from the garage where I used to get it serviced in what brilliant condition it was in including underneath.

As you say it is a buyers market I have just got my W202 back from the spray shop having the bonnet done £250.00 but it does not look as if it is going to sell I have 5 watchers but that does not mean a thing.

Last edited:
Good price on the bonnet.
This might be a silly question, but why bother selling the C class.?
It's all fixed and running and you won't get back what you've spent so might as well get some use out of it.

I am sorry to say this but my personal opinion is they are a load of C---P regards the build quality I bought this car because it was a Mercedes and before I bought it I did not do my homework because I did not expect the problems with a car with such a high class name from previous years of manufacture and they are not cheap cars when new.
The bodys rust, underneath they have rust problems they have numerous amounts of faults a quality car should not suffer from my 190e was built like a tank my car did not have a spot of rust on it and it was very reliable this car I have now has the problem of when it gets a stone chip it ends up like a spiders web and too many of them and the panel needs respraying they have sensors here and everywhere and I am sure a lot are not necessary because most are b----y expensive.
I had the ECU go on this car at 63000 miles and if one of the coils goes down I could have the same problem (what a joke at £1800 a time) and yes I did try these guys that supposed to repair them but I tried 3 companys and they would not touch mine it had to be sent to Germany by Mercedes.
I have no confidence in the car so that is why I am getting shot of and it annoys me with the so called paint warrenty and the amount of members that have had problems getting paintwork done that should never have happened in the beginning they are very good at dodging out of the issue.
So at the end of the day I am after an older Mercedes that was built as a quality and expensive car should be, I cannot afford one of the newer models which are supposed to be better but time will tell on that score.

Never mind, this is a buyers market. 190s don't seem to be shifting so easily since the credit crunch, so when you do see the one make sure you do some hard bargaining.

Out of interest, is there a particular engine size 190 you are looking for and a particular spec. If any of us see one on the net that might be what you are looking for, we can post the link on the forum.

Mine was for sale for nearly a week - I suspect decent cars will always find a buyer? (or maybe I let it go too cheaply?)

:)

Can't agree that this is a problem affecting 190s in particular.

I'd say that larger engined, newer cars are the ones that seem to be affected. The worst contenders would be post 2001 large petrol cars/4x4s, etc.

Good W201s have been £1-2k for a good few years now, not a lot has changed really (maybe a few hundred pounds at best).

They're well-made, reliable cars without unneccesary complications. Clean ones will always sell, scruffy ones with no history etc are harder to shift.

In this 'economic climate' I'd say that a W201 makes a sensible choice of transport. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap to tax and not too bad on fuel either.

And if you're only paying about £1000 for a car, what's the highest amount of depreciation you can suffer... ;)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom