1990 - W124 200TE For Sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vectrolosys

Car
91 300TE, 88 XJ40 3.6
1990 Mercedes 200TE - In Arctic White

Originally listed on eBay, but the buyer has made no contact, the vehicle is now being listed here to offer others the opportunity to purchase.

Overview
You're looking at a reasonable Mercedes 200TE. The car has covered 152,000 miles from new, drives smoothly and returns very reasonable fuel economy for its size. The 2.0 litre engine performs fairly well for the size of vehicle, and the 4 speed Automatic transmission changes very smoothly.
Anyone who knows the W124 series, or S124 in Estate form, will need no introductions to the cars overall quality, over-engineering and general solidity.

Features
  • Non Air Conditioning, climate/Temperature control
  • Huge boot
  • Luggage cover and dog/Cargo net (not fitted in the pictures, but present and will be re-attached on sale)
  • Split/fold rear seats
  • Electric front windows
  • Electric tilt and slide sunroof
  • Power Assisted Steering
  • Very good turning circle
  • Clean, tidy blue cloth interior
  • Tow Bar with single electrics
Recent Work - within the past few years
  • Coolant replaced this year, before the cold weather
  • Oil and filter replaced within the past 3000 miles
  • Fuel tank return pipe replaced late last year
  • Complete HT lead, cap, rotor arm and plug set this year
  • Auto transmission fluid replaced in 2006
A lot of other bits and bobs have been carried out, extensive receipts history is available. From what I can tell, the vehicle has been well looked after and has matchin Avon ZZ3 tyres all round.

Points for improvement

• Exhaust blowing from front and mid section
  • Knocking from the anti-roll bar area when going over bumps (normal W124 trait)
  • Rust on the rear quarter areas and front wings (see photos), the front wing rust is on the wheel arch lips, not the usual W124 area on the leading edge, which looks mostly clean.
  • Slight tappet noise which improves when warm, usually dirt in the lifters.
  • Drivers side window is not working, however, there is a voltage getting to the motor and I have recently replaced some broken wiring in this area.
MOT , TAX and the boring bits
  • MOT expires April 24th 2009
  • Tax expires May 31st 2009
  • Car is sold as seen, no warranty is offered or implied.
  • Payment, Cash on collection
  • Collection from the BS10 area of Bristol. Car driveable and will get you home. I recently completed a trip to Scotland and back without hitch.
Conclusion

A nice car overall, only selling due to acquiring a 300TE (in the same colour!!). The paintwork has been restored back to moderate health and holds a nice shine, though a proper buffing should see if come back a treat. The car is presentable, pretty solid and well worth a look.

£280 ono - I am open to offers so PM me with an offer!!

Photos

IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Tour

The following should serve as a 'Virtual Tour' of the vehicle, highlight some of the defects, but also some of the major benefits.
Insurance Costs
  • The vehicle can be insured on a classic policy. This costs me £163 a year, provided I do no more than 5000 miles and keep the vehicle in the garage. (29 yr old, in an area with average crime)
Body - From the front
  • Stone chippings on the white panels below the headlights
  • Some paint crazing on the bumper mid section
Body - Down the drivers side
  • Some rust on the front wheel arch lip (wings detachable easily)
  • Rear door has some surface rust at the top of the door frame (not horrendous by any means)
  • Rust on the rear quarter as shown in the photos, some discolouration (only seen close up) from previous repairs
Body - From the back
  • Some surface rust around the corner of the boot window
  • Small hole in the rear, nearside lamp cluster
Body - From the near/Passenger side
  • Slight dent on the rear wheel arch, only noticeable when close up
  • One tiny bit of barely noticeable rust starting under the rear window
  • Some arch rust on the front arch, only just beginning to come onto the main surface, but not too noticeable.
Under the bonnet
  • Slightly dusty, with 20 years worth of dust
  • No oil leaks that I can see
  • In good order and well maintained looking at previous receipts
On the road
  • Smooth drive, gear changes are smooth, kickdown and S modes work as required
  • Slight knock from the front suspension, W124 trait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom