1993 Facelift E320 Coupe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spin_bowler

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLC, Tesla MY
I need to get rid of my W124 E320 Coupe. It's a great car but it won't go through the MOT due later this month without some fettling so I need to move it on. I bought the car two years ago with visions of tinkering with it in my spare time and keeping it up to the mark on lazy Sunday afternoon's etc etc. Shortly after this though the reality of a new job with regular sixty hour weeks and much travel kicked in. This has meant that she's ended up being little more than a station car and hasn't had the time spent on her she deserves. In my opinion she'd provide a great base for someone who did have the time to spend on getting her up to scratch or a reliable run about for someone who could get her through the next MOT and wants to run about in a 3.2 litre coupe!

The car
  • Two tone Malachite green
  • Mushroom leather interior
  • Beige carpets
  • 3.2L I6 Petrol Engine
  • 4-speed auto (some say less problematic than the later five-speed)
  • 207,500 miles
  • Large history file
  • Electric Windows
  • Electric Seats
  • Electric Sunroof
  • Full (working) Air conditioning
  • Period Blaupunkt Single CD Player with electric aeriel
  • Two keys
  • MOT 29/10/13
  • Tax 30/11/13

The condition
I'm going to be really honest here and hide nothing, as I say I see this as a decent base for a light restoration or as a cheap station car, I've no interest in debating the finer points of the condition. I'm going to go with the line that 'it's a bit knackered but not the worst on the road.'

The worst bit:
  • Both front and rear screens are cracked, the rear was vandalised in a station car park and started with a small crack which has now spread approximately half way across the screen, although it's taken 20 months for it to get that far. The front screen cracked last winter and is now extends about 18 inches from the passenger A-Pillar where it started. I'm assuming that will be an MOT-failure when the time comes.

Other bad bits:
  • The paint. Whilst it had a full respray before my ownership It's starting to rust again. There's visible bubbling on the arches and around the boot lock. The leading edge of the boot (visible when the boot is open under the plastic body panel) is rusty. I've not checked underneath the decorative cladding on the doors and other body panels but I think we can probably guess what might be going on under there. It's also had it's fair share of car park scratches, but nothing deep and the bumpers are all intact. It also got dumped on by a pigeon that either weighed five or six kilos or had a very upset stomach. As I was away for a week when this happened the resultant mess has left its mark.
  • The passenger window doesn't work. I suspect, but don't know for certain, that the teeth on the regulator are shot (another of those Sunday afternoon jobs that never quite landed)
  • The loom is original, some will say amongst much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth that this is a terrible thing. I'm not so convinced. Aside from when the battery went flat I've had no problems with the electrics at all. I replaced the battery in January last year.
  • The tyres are long past their best.
  • There is a period dealer-fitted alarm with one working fob but the alarm sounds constantly so I don't use it. I suspect that the interior sensors are to blame.
  • Suspension feels tired. It does crash and creak through holes in the road. It handles and steers OK but I'm sure could do with new shocks.

The good bits:
  • All the electrics work
  • The engine feels strong, runs at a constant 85 degrees in regular use, oil pressure is good.
  • On a cruise it'll return 30MPG all day long
  • No sign of any serious structural rot.

The deal.
There are pictures (taken in happier times) in my gallery here. I also have pictures of the rust and cracks for anyone interested.
I'm in the midst of getting my plate transferred off it so don't have the V5 at the moment but that is all in train. I'm happy to PM/email the VIN and supply both the current and previous VRM to anyone interested.

£500 takes the car away. No offers.

Bump. On the bay now.

I'd love to see a forum take her away and sprinkle her with fairy dust. Go on, grab yourself a bargain. Make a late night, beer-fuelled bid, she's up for less than the cost of a decent meal out at the moment.

Well, all being well she's off to start a new life (or be broken for parts :dk:) in Poland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom