• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1st time Mercedes owner

coneybiller

Car
'06 W211 E320CDI OM648
Hi all, thought I'd Say hello here before making any posts.

Hello!

Just bought myself an '02 S210 320cdi, 144k on the clock in what I believe is Capri blue. Part ex'd my '06 Mondeo ST TDCi saloon with 176k. Gave me £1k for that which I was OK with. It meant all a I had to pay was £940 for the merc. Now it's not without its faults, but I liked the car enough to buy it.
It has the electric memory leather pneumatic seats up front which seem to work but I'm clueless as to how to use them. PDC front and rear (with 1 sensor partially reading 3/4 most times. 7 seats and what I believe to be the Bose sound system.
I'm currently sat in "sextons" in Gloucester waiting for my new alpine Headunit to be installed, which means I can use my iPhone to supply 1000s of tracks to my ears! Yay!

Faults I've discovered:
Boot doesn't lock and the open handle sticks in the open position.
Cruise control doesn't work over 40mph.
Viscous fan runs permanently.
Temp doesn't tend to get above 60/70degC.
Front parking sensor reading 3/4 most of the time.
Front suspension seems to bottom out over small speed ramps.
Gearbox can intermittently be a bit jerky/hesitant (typically smooth when test driving).
Rear fog lights not working.
Xenon headlights are 2 different colours.
Dings and dents (one of which is on the roof)
Tyres different sizes front to rear and utter ditch finders too (front-225/45R17 rear-235/45R17).
Wheels badly corroded and silver painted over the top .
Only 1 key.

That's my sh1t list that needs fixing. Other than that, it's a lovely drive. It will increase in mileage massively with my 600+miles per week commute. But I'd like to look after it while my nippers (x2) are little before I eventually buy myself a toy to play with
She's getting a new fan clutch and belt, and maybe idlers and tensioner while we're in there. That should help the noise and increase the MpG figures a little! While she's on the ramp I'm gonna have a good browse and see if it's falling apart, as was very difficult to see on the floor!

Any pointers towards my fault list would be appreciated.

I look forward to browsing the forums and contributing where I can!

Cheers

Ben

Oh and appologies for the looooong post!!

Welcome to the forum.

Your engine is a good one, work through your list and you will really enjoy your purchase.

Howdo.

Fan and temp are likely linked, gearbox will probably be sorted with a fluid and filter change.

The rear tyres might actually be meant to be wider than the front, but I'd have thought if so then they'd need to be different ratio to maintain the ride height.

Thanks for the messages all. Well the new alpine stereo is fitted and working lovely! However I have to go back to have the correct steering wheel controls fitted which is a small annoyance!
I'm enjoying the car but hoping this list doesn't get much bigger or I may start to loose faith real quick!!
I actually did my apprenticeship with Mercedes years ago. However I no longer work on cars and am very reluctant (mainly lazy) to get on my back underneath the car on the driveway! I do have access every now and again to a friends ramp when he has a quiet period in the week! Hence tomorrow I'm going to do some checking and fixing!

She seems like good old workhorse. Rust level is very very minimum which is good and it pulls nice and strong. I did check for the Black Death under the engine cover before I bought it, and clean as a whistle, so I'm happy with that one at least!

The temp issue I'm thinking, is probs more down to the thermostat. I drove 130miles today and it was constantly at 70degC or below. Sat on the M42 in start stop traffic in 20+degC heat I'm sure it should rise above 80 or just above at least. But then saying that the fan is constantly running hehe! Fan will be fixed tomorrow anyway!! Will be changing gearbag fluid and filter ASAP too. That's next on my list :)
Checking on Mercedes-Benz Fitting Chart and Wheel Fitment Guide | Alloy Wheels Direct it would suggest I have 17 X 7.5" Alhena alloys which would have front and rear sizes of 235/45R17. Hence my concern for the front tyres being wrong. If I get time tomorrow I'll whip them off and have a look at the stamps on the back and see what's what!

Cheers

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom