2002 cl55 buyers advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dancki

Car
CLS 500 AMG
Hi All

Tried to look up here but not much on here.

There is cl55 from 2002, it will be straight px for my 3.2 porsche cayenne. the merc has 139k on the clock. the lad send me video and seems that rear suspension squeaks when you test the rear corners. also noticed when taking suspension up (abc) it does squeak as well. I was advised that this are some bushings on the rear.

My question is :

which bushes on the rear usually go wrong, and how easy is it to fix this at home
or it may be the rear struts on way out.

take a gamble or leave it? what you think

Is this a n/a or a Kompressor cl?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A
Hi All

Tried to look up here but not much on here.

There is cl55 from 2002, it will be straight px for my 3.2 porsche cayenne. the merc has 139k on the clock. the lad send me video and seems that rear suspension squeaks when you test the rear corners. also noticed when taking suspension up (abc) it does squeak as well. I was advised that this are some bushings on the rear.

My question is :

which bushes on the rear usually go wrong, and how easy is it to fix this at home
or it may be the rear struts on way out.

take a gamble or leave it? what you think
As someone who has replaced squeaky bushings on his own C55 I would say it's 'do-able' at home...depending on which ones are squeaking, access to reliable press tools and gas torch, breaker bar or rattle gun, secure axle stands...the list goes on. Some might say buy units with the bushings already fitted in them, thats OK if the bolt holding them to the car comes out easily. The swivel bush is in the main wheel bearing assembly and without the correct puller it will not come out. You need the same tool in reverse to get the new one in, a hammer and a punch will not cut it. The pully tool I bought online failed half way through the job , luckily for me I have access to all sorts of engineering machinery with which I repaired it.

And of course your own mechanical skill level.

Fair enough. Can u explain why?
How long have you got ?? An 18 year old anything Is a gamble. But an 18 year old luxury Mercedes Benz is a whole new world. If you have deep pockets and/or good mechanical/electrical skills and a decent set of tools this might be the car for you. I personally wouldn't touch it based solely on the video.

The engine is a good solid reliable unit if it has been fed the correct oil for its entire life, The rest of it is a complicated old beast.

If BlackC55 says run away, it might be an idea to do just that.

How long have you got ?? An 18 year old anything Is a gamble. But an 18 year old luxury Mercedes Benz is a whole new world. If you have deep pockets and/or good mechanical/electrical skills and a decent set of tools this might be the car for you. I personally wouldn't touch it based solely on the video.

The engine is a good solid reliable unit if it has been fed the correct oil for its entire life, The rest of it is a complicated old beast.

If BlackC55 says run away, it might be an idea to do just that.

OK fair enough. I will listen to this. In mean time the 2005 cl500 came thru @ 90k may give this a go, also abc was reconditioned recently

OK fair enough. I will listen to this. In mean time the 2005 cl500 came thru @ 90k may give this a go, also abc was reconditioned recently

I will give you an example. We had an early CL in recently. Bought at auction and to say it was a shed is an understatement. We totalled £8k in repairs in 30 mins. Even a 2005 CL is going to be rough unless the previous owner owns a bank.
My best advice is to get it inspected before you buy. Don't buy cheap.

All the ABC? There is a lot to it.
We did one strut and one valve block on an ABC car just before shut down and its was £3K+

Well. Then if engin amd gearbox ok 1st job is coilovers then. Seems abc too much hassle

Well. Then if engin amd gearbox ok 1st job is coilovers then. Seems abc too much hassle

Its not hassle if you can stomach the costs. The ride and handling are worth it imo.

the car is in brighton, may pop over easter to check it, again as it so far i requested a vid and seems ok.

the car is in brighton, may pop over easter to check it, again as it so far i requested a vid and seems ok.

That would most definitely not be an essential journey!

When you ask questions like this, you might run into a lot of generic BS about a car because it's old or it's a V8 etc. I've owned several cars with that combo of drive train body style and suspension.

My best suggestion is to get the car checked out by someone who can put it on a lift. YOu want to see the shape of the shocks , bushings, etc. Then factor in replacing the abc accumilators if you get any sign when driving that the abc light is going off over bumps. Drive engine and gearbox are stout and providing that the car has good service history and checks out in an inspection, you'll probably have a nice car.

When you ask questions like this, you might run into a lot of generic BS about a car because it's old or it's a V8 etc. I've owned several cars with that combo of drive train body style and suspension.

My best suggestion is to get the car checked out by someone who can put it on a lift. YOu want to see the shape of the shocks , bushings, etc. Then factor in replacing the abc accumilators if you get any sign when driving that the abc light is going off over bumps. Drive engine and gearbox are stout and providing that the car has good service history and checks out in an inspection, you'll probably have a nice car.

I know everybody here would suggest using mb star for check but do u reckon using delphi for scan could highlight any potential issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom