2007 C55 Estate, laundry list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great looking car...
ouch on the shopping list!

No progress on the stalling issue, new power steering pump ordered from Germany. Add £603 to the bill.

No progress on the stalling issue, new power steering pump ordered from Germany. Add £603 to the bill.
Wowsers, that’s expensive Neil. I think it was around half that (fitted) from a main dealer for one of our ML63s.

Was it noisey or leaking, or something else?

I’m sure it will be worth it when it’s all sorted though!

Shaftec Power Steering pump Part no: HP979

Febi Oil tank if you cant reused your old one is Part No: 38802

Your forum username fits perfectly... DAMN IT!! :D

Wowsers, that’s expensive Neil. I think it was around half that (fitted) from a main dealer for one of our ML63s.

Was it noisey or leaking, or something else?

I’m sure it will be worth it when it’s all sorted though!

It was very noisy, and at idle/parking speeds most of the assistance was not present - intermittently, that said.

Would it be crazy to wonder if a recalcitrant PS pump might put a lot of load on a idling engine and potentially stall it, if the IAC valve didn't react fast enough?

Your forum username fits perfectly... DAMN IT!! :D

I didn't actually intend on spending the purchase price of the vehicle over again in maintenance during the first six months of ownership it must be said.

I didn't actually intend on spending the purchase price of the vehicle over again in maintenance during the first six months of ownership it must be said.

Old Mercs mate... I know the feels! Worth it in the end, as you know it’s 100%... mileage means nothing on these get 200,000 miles on it ;)

I still suspect it’s the CPS. Just a hunch though.

Lol that reminds me of myself doh...:wallbash:

I got the car back yesterday, new power steering pump is actually very noticeable - I just thought the steering was heavy before, but clearly it was borked.

Idle is much more steady, no rev-flares since they cleaned the throttle body out, but I only drove it a short distance home.

Still have the brake bleed nipples to take care of, and the "Service A" is showing for 900 miles time so I'll do that then, along with an oil (level?) sensor as the display on the dash permanently asks me to add oil despite DDR topping it all the way up (and, earlier, Mercedes doing the same).

I have some winter wheels coming as I may have mentioned, but I have had to push back the rust repair by a month as I need the car to ferry my mother around between hospital appointments - now the 12th of November for the arches to be attended to.

It's not the cheapest car in the world to own, it must be said:

30885219038_6be4e3bfd8_b.jpg

With regards to the stalling at the petrol station?

You have a lot of inputs going on here that complicate diagnosis.

Acceleration
Steering
Deceleration
Braking?

It could be that the MAF cannot be discounted. On my C55 it WOULD stall the car intermittently and to no obvious input.

As mentioned the CPS is a suspect but I would have thought it would throw a code

Steering angle Sensor? As above I would be looking for a code.

Vacuum leak - common on these cars it can stall the engine and NOT throw a code.

Try an alcohol aerosol spray over the vac lines and see if it flares the revs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car had a stored code for the MAF - only code there. MAF was changed within the last 12 months, although I am aware that that is no guarantee sadly.

I'll drive it for now, if it stalls again I'll examine the codes and if it says air meter again I'll get that changed.

The car had a stored code for the MAF - only code there. MAF was changed within the last 12 months, although I am aware that that is no guarantee sadly.

I'll drive it for now, if it stalls again I'll examine the codes and if it says air meter again I'll get that changed.

Sadly but true!! These cars only like original equipment MAF’s. Forums are full of non-OEM MAF’s causing issues. Also please do check that the MAF itself is sealing correctly above and below. A poor seal/fit will cause air ingress and stalling. The CLIP that holds it to the block is tricky and can easily crack/split. Ask me how I know that [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An expensive time, but I’m sure it will be worth it, great car. I miss my C32 :(

It's driving really nicely now, thoroughly nice place to spend time.

On which note - I think one of the previous owners had a Road Angel hard wired in, hence the blanking plate now fitted:

30912651838_713ec1d2fa_b.jpg

So I've picked up a replacement and will fit it in due course:

44064006914_e8d8618e8c_b.jpg

If anyone has a guide to how to do this they could point me too that would be appreciated.

It's driving really nicely now, thoroughly nice place to spend time.

On which note - I think one of the previous owners had a Road Angel hard wired in, hence the blanking plate now fitted:

30912651838_713ec1d2fa_b.jpg

So I've picked up a replacement and will fit it in due course:

44064006914_e8d8618e8c_b.jpg

If anyone has a guide to how to do this they could point me too that would be appreciated.

The first 2 minutes of this video show how to change that trim. If the video doesn't play first time, just refresh the page and it starts.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's great - thanks! Looks pretty straightforward.

No time like the present, so once fortified by having mug of tea in hand:

43876459665_c6b85f27b2_b.jpg

And the console trim comes out with hardly any effort:

43876459025_8a247a2e70_b.jpg

Much better:

42975455440_6ffb835df0_b.jpg

Looks like my car, one of only two registered in 2007, was made in early 2006 (or at least this bit of trim was):

30915539258_33334cd26d_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom