• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2018 E-Class Media Head Unit Fault 023107

MickD1234

Car
2018 E-class Saloon
Hi,

Can anyone advise me please?

• SatNav (V1.7 Map 2.1 2017/18) lost all previous destinations and settings to German clock time, then kept resetting to UK time
  • Googled satnav issue found that Mercedes were sending out updates to remove Traffic at the start of September - coincidence?
  • Then the centre media Unit started to reboot every 10/12 seconds - can access if quick for about 2 seconds, then locks up and reboots
  • Contacted Service they said they had not sent an update and if they had it was unrelated
  • Took the car into Mercedes for a £200 diagnostic, they say the Media Unit will not take an update and needs to be replaced
  • Said no parts are available in the UK or Germany and could take 2 weeks to six months
  • Cost to replace is £2,363.5 less a 68% discount total due when the get the part and install is £756.32
First I am so dissapointed at the issue on a premium product so soon after the warranty ran out
Disgusted at the cost!
Is this an isolated incident?

Can I source another unit elsewhere from a used damaged car?

Is the android Auto upgrade kit a contender to fix my issue?

I would really appreciate some expert opinions please,

Thanks

I would try as much trouble shooting you can do yourself. A common issue is a faulty gps antenna. I would try disconnecting it and re connecting. This solved issue the no signal and defaulting to Germany issue for me.

If that works can figure out the rest.

If they are giving you 68% discount on a car 6 months out of warranty, take the good-will before they change their mind.

You wont be able to get a used one with anti-theft code, have it installed. configured and latest firmware installed, map licensed and installed for £750.

If your "disgusted at the cost" you should consider an extended warranty - because theres lots of very expensive electronics in the car, and just about anything electronic breaking is going to be £500 or much more to diagnose / replace / install / configure etc

The update was done to the Comms Module - although its connected to the sat-nav for it to send live traffic info to it, its highly unlikely to be causing such a problem.

We've seen lots of early W205's COMAND units have flash memory failure and thus not be able to have the firmware updated ..

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom