220d (C207) questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I also have 19" wheels - will this impact fuel economy and if so, how much?

Another thing is the radio - is there a way from song/artist info to be displayed as standard? The manual says to ensure 'display track/artist" is selected and it is yet no song details are shown. Instead, I have to go scroll to "information" to get the info.

Fatter tyres = more rolling resistance. Wheels size won't alter fuelling maybe a higher top end speed , where as 17 " will give better acceleration. Maybe buy tyres with a "b" or "c" for fuel economy. E ratings give better grip , but are less economic.

Last edited:
Try resetting the display once the engine is hot . Your mpg is including the drive from cold . From cold over 7 miles at 60 mph in 8th / 9th gear , my e350 sees 37 mpg . Once upto 90 degrees over +100 miles id expect to see over 50 mpg .

Also, check the current mpg while driving rather than the 'overall' mpg for your journey, which will include a lot of idling and slow driving.

Or, once on the motorway, reset the mpg display, then check the overall average reading just before leaving the motorway.

Some updates and another question - but a serious one.

Apple CarPlay works fine. I've also managed to get 51-56 mpg by driving at 55-60mph so it's good to know that I can get decent mpg and how to go about it. Only downside is it can be a bit scary that someone is going to rear-end me on the motorway.

My question is this - on most journeys of late, I hear two quick beeps just once - (ie: beep beep) and I have no idea what they mean. I don't think it's collision assist as that is a red triangle on the dash. The last time I heard it, a couple of days ago, I saw something flash in the rev counter display and though it was gone before I could identify it, its location seemed to be the skid icon. Maybe that was just a coincidence and it's actually something else that the beeps refer to. The fact I've heard it on several successive journeys is disconcerting. Can someone tell me what this double beep is?

This might be speeding alert - whenever you exceed the speed limit for the particular stretch of road - coming from the Garmin Map Pilot navigation system (even if you were not using the navigation system at the time).

After 2 days of resetting everything. I'm getting up to 74% efficiency and 42.2mpg.
My daily commute (a mostly clear run of 22 miles - 2m road & 20 mile motorway - and 24 miles on the return (23m motorway & 1m road).

Is my mpg standard or, as I suspect, poor considering combined manufacturer figures are 60+mpg.
Hi , I easily obtain 100% efficiency and return 33 mpg C207 E400 3.5

I have achieved 50 mpg on a very long drive in Spain.

Do you use cruise control a lot, I find its more efficient not to use on busy motorways, I try to anticipate cars slowing so I don't need to brake so often, gradually increase speed when accelerating up inclines and coasting down them rather than braking, backing off a lot to increase the Eco display is a satisfying challenge to get it to 95-100 % when on a decent journey.
Does your temp gauge reach 90 degrees after a short time? Making sure your engine is getting warm enough.

Some updates and another question - but a serious one.

Apple CarPlay works fine. I've also managed to get 51-56 mpg by driving at 55-60mph so it's good to know that I can get decent mpg and how to go about it. Only downside is it can be a bit scary that someone is going to rear-end me on the motorway.

My question is this - on most journeys of late, I hear two quick beeps just once - (ie: beep beep) and I have no idea what they mean. I don't think it's collision assist as that is a red triangle on the dash. The last time I heard it, a couple of days ago, I saw something flash in the rev counter display and though it was gone before I could identify it, its location seemed to be the skid icon. Maybe that was just a coincidence and it's actually something else that the beeps refer to. The fact I've heard it on several successive journeys is disconcerting. Can someone tell me what this double beep is?
The "beep-"beep" is the collision assist , it sounds when you get too close to an object .There's a steel signpost , which is close to the kerbline, about 150m from home and I regularly get the "beep-"beep" when I go past it.

This might be speeding alert - whenever you exceed the speed limit for the particular stretch of road - coming from the Garmin Map Pilot navigation system (even if you were not using the navigation system at the time).
I have Comand, not Garmin, does it have the same alert? I am sure I don't exceed speed limits enough to trigger any warnings though I will check my speed the next time the beeps sound.
Do you use cruise control a lot, I find its more efficient not to use on busy motorways, I try to anticipate cars slowing so I don't need to brake so often, gradually increase speed when accelerating up inclines and coasting down them rather than braking, backing off a lot to increase the Eco display is a satisfying challenge to get it to 95-100 % when on a decent journey.
Does your temp gauge reach 90 degrees after a short time? Making sure your engine is getting warm enough.
Yes I do use cruise control - does this make a difference? My temp gauge is warm. I have also noticed that motorway driving at 50 - 58mph returns 50 - 56mpg and 80% efficiency. Not the greatest but a lot better than 42mpg and 60% efficiency.
The "beep-"beep" is the collision assist , it sounds when you get too close to an object .There's a steel signpost , which is close to the kerbline, about 150m from home and I regularly get the "beep-"beep" when I go past it.
I thought this at first but it happened today when there was no traffic in front of me. Can't remember if there were any objects such as signposts that could trigger it. I have identified 2 other quick beeps as notification of a text message but the 2 beeps I'm talking about in this thread are higher in pitch.

Yes I do use cruise control - does this make a difference? My temp gauge is warm. I have also noticed that motorway driving at 50 - 58mph returns 50 - 56mpg and 80% efficiency. Not the greatest but a lot better than 42mpg and 60% efficiency.
Try without using cruise control and see if it makes a difference, anticipating cars slowing down and slowing accelerating, coast up to junctions with only the slightest braking, you may be surprised and should easily get 95 or 100 % efficiency with a light foot.

Try without using cruise control and see if it makes a difference, anticipating cars slowing down and slowing accelerating, coast up to junctions with only the slightest braking, you may be surprised and should easily get 95 or 100 % efficiency with a light foot.

Agreed - I used to drive with a driving app that provides a score based on smoothness of acceleration and braking, and cornering - driving with cruise control didn't score well on ther app because the car accelerated too harshly to the desired speed and then braked too harshly (compared to an experienced human driver).

I have Comand, not Garmin, does it have the same alert? I am sure I don't exceed speed limits enough to trigger any warnings though I will check my speed the next time the beeps sound.

I thought this at first but it happened today when there was no traffic in front of me. Can't remember if there were any objects such as signposts that could trigger it. I have identified 2 other quick beeps as notification of a text message but the 2 beeps I'm talking about in this thread are higher in pitch.

I agree with previous reply, a road I drive on regularly has a traffic bollard that triggers my collision assist.

I don't have collision detection on the merc, but on all other cars I drove that had it, there was (a) a very loud audible alert, and (b) accompanied by a red symbol on the instrument cluster display.

Again, I don't have experience with collision detection on mercs, but I find it odd that it only emits a faint beep and no warning on the dash?

Mine goes off all the time,normally when approaching another vehicle and the distance is quickly reducing. It sounds twice and a red warning symbol shows on the dash.

Mine goes off all the time,normally when approaching another vehicle and the distance is quickly reducing. It sounds twice and a red warning symbol shows on the dash.

Does the OP have the red warning symbol on the dash when the beep goes off?

I tried this and was pleasantly surprised. Easily high 80s in heavy traffic and jams where I can't avoid accelerating, braking and jams and if I can keep a constant speed and add a couple of bouts of coasting I can hit 99%.

The downsides are that I have to accelerate quite genteely like an old man and it's not always practical to coast to a junction. Plus I max out at 56mpg at 55-60mph and 50mpg at 70mph - on the slow side for motorways and still requires genteel acceleration as otherwise mpg drops to 42mpg if I accelerate normally/quickly.

Does the OP have the red warning symbol on the dash when the beep goes off?
The past few occasions the red triangle accompanied the beeps so I'm 90% certain it's the collision assist. The remaining 10% of doubt is because I'm not convinced the red light always occured plus the beeps don't always accompany the red triangle.

I tried this and was pleasantly surprised. Easily high 80s in heavy traffic and jams where I can't avoid accelerating, braking and jams and if I can keep a constant speed and add a couple of bouts of coasting I can hit 99%.

The downsides are that I have to accelerate quite genteely like an old man and it's not always practical to coast to a junction. Plus I max out at 56mpg at 55-60mph and 50mpg at 70mph - on the slow side for motorways and still requires genteel acceleration as otherwise mpg drops to 42mpg if I accelerate normally/quickly.

The past few occasions the red triangle accompanied the beeps so I'm 90% certain it's the collision assist. The remaining 10% of doubt is because I'm not convinced the red light always occured plus the beeps don't always accompany the red triangle.
You get the red triangle first , if the gap between cars closes, you get a red triangle and a beep . Let the gap close any further, multiple beeps and if under 30 mph the cars brakes will slam on.

Hey all, A few more questions if you don’t mind.

1) I have an adblue warning saying it needs topping up but I don’t know how to do this. There’s no adblue cap under the fuel flap (2016 E C207) so can you tell me where to locate it, where to get adblue and if I can top it up myself?

2) speaking of topping up, I’ve had the car five months and don’t know how to check my oil – can you tell me how and whether I’ll get a warning on the dash if it’s low?

3) For the past few weeks I’ve had tyre pressure warnings for my front tyree and at first I thought I had a puncture but the pressure fluctuates up and down so what’s the issue - a faulty sensor?

4) I put the back seats down so I could do with something into the boot and all was fine. I repeated this two months later and the spring has snapped (looks rusted) for one of the seats so there’s no response when the lever is pulled – can this spring be reattached or will it need replacing and what are the likely costs?

1. Check inside the car under the boot, on some models the AdBlue tank is located where the spare wheel would normally be.

2. If your car car does not have a dipstick, then the engine oil level can be checked via the Service menu in the instrument cluster menu, when the engine is switched-off. And yes, you will get a warning on the dash if it's too low.

3. Tyre pressures can go up by 3-4 psi when the tyres get warm, but any other fluctuations are likely to indicate a faulty wheel sensor.

4. Sorry, don't know.

Last edited:
Hey all, A few more questions if you don’t mind.

1) I have an adblue warning saying it needs topping up but I don’t know how to do this. There’s no adblue cap under the fuel flap (2016 E C207) so can you tell me where to locate it, where to get adblue and if I can top it up myself?

2) speaking of topping up, I’ve had the car five months and don’t know how to check my oil – can you tell me how and whether I’ll get a warning on the dash if it’s low?

3) For the past few weeks I’ve had tyre pressure warnings for my front tyree and at first I thought I had a puncture but the pressure fluctuates up and down so what’s the issue - a faulty sensor?

4) I put the back seats down so I could do with something into the boot and all was fine. I repeated this two months later and the spring has snapped (looks rusted) for one of the seats so there’s no response when the lever is pulled – can this spring be reattached or will it need replacing and what are the likely costs?
5 months of ownership and you don't know how to check oil , how to add ad blue or keep tyres inflated. Unbelievable....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom