• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

260e oil cooler

emimec

Car
260e
I have been trying to locate a water leak for some time now. I had convinced myself it was the heater matrix, but now I am hoping it is something else.
Water can been seen dripping on the drivers (Right) side of the auto gearbox. On inspection, I can see I have a smaller secondary radiator mounted in front of the main water radiator. This I always thought was the oil cooler, and contained oil from the gearbox. I now think it is water, and following a pipe that runs alongside of the engine/sump join, am hoping this pipe is either cracked or leaking under the car. Does this sound feasible or even a common problem? I cant get the car on a ramp until the weekend, but would like to get the parts beforehand, so if anyone knows or understands my theory, let me know. Sadly, a parts or exploded drawing is not to be found in the Haynes manual.

The looped pipe in front of the radiator is the steering fluid cooler. The Gearbox cooler is integral with the radiator. Hope this is of help

If you do have air conditioning, the 'radiator' in front of the main radiator is the refrigerant condenser, and the water 'leak' will be condensation from the evaporator - which is perfectly normal.

Exploded parts diagrams galore here.

Thanks for the replies. I do not have air conditioning on this car. The small radiator I have in front of my normal radiator is more than a loop. It looks like a heater matrix, or a normal radiator, just smaller?

Your bonus radiator does not sound like a standard part. You'll need to trace the pipes to work out what it is. Or if you could post some photos we might be able to help some more.

Many thanks. I wonder if the fact I have a towing ball fitted means this extra rad is something to do with extra cooling? I will try to get the car on a ramp at the weekend and trace the pipework.

Some cars with tow bars had an extra gearbox oil cooler fitted. More commonly found on estates.

dcc1re2.jpg

Unable to post full size photo, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom