320CLS Kick Down Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin 320cls

Car
merc 320cls
Hi all having a problem with kickdown on this car..it jerks but does not change down..caught me out a few times trying to overtake..no warning lights or limp mode.

if I use moderate acceleration it takes off like a rocket, but kick down is a no no.

Had MAF cleaned but to no avail any help most appreciated.......

You will need it plugged in.

Check my guide in the engine section.

Mine has been doing the same thing, accelerate normally and it's ok, but use the kick down and it revs at 4tho and does nothing, take foot off peddle a bit and it accelerates? It's done it on me twice now. Luckily I was not overtaking.
Mine is a MB approved car so going take mine in on Monday see what they can find what's wrong with it, if I find out I'll post up 2hat they say.
Cheers
Ben

I suspect the turbo is on the way out - mine is doing the same! My previous W211 (same OM642 engine) did the same thing, it gets more frequent and eventually starts going into safe mode. If you plug it into Star you'll get "Exhaust back pressure" fault showing - something to do with a seal in the turbo failing causing a lack of vacuum. I'm gonna run mine until it gets worse then I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new turbo - it'll need new exhaust manifolds too as they corrode and that's what does for the seals in the turbo. Mine's done 127,000 miles which isn't bad as the W211 only got to 108,000 before the turbo was swapped over. A250Bennyboy watch the stealers - their standard way of dealing with this under warranty is to take your car for the day, wash it and give it back to you saying that it needed a software update. The process is repeated until your warranty runs out if you're not careful (again experience with the W211 which was still in the tier 1 warranty at the time). Make sure they keep a record of the fault reading (exhaust back pressure) when they give it back to you after "fixing" it the first couple of times - on your 3rd visit with the same issue insist they change the turbo and exhaust manifolds. You'd be wise to talk to Mondial (who underwrite the MB warranty) and get their outline agreement before insisting the stealer actually fixes the fault!

Hi Ben would really like to know what MB find..Rgds Colin

Couldn't take my car in till Tuesday PM they kept my car Wednesday and I have just picked it up today Thursday.
They basically did what Ian said right down to cleaning it, they said the star showed no error code so they reset my gearbox, it's done something because it certainly feels more responsive on gear change and the kick down works fine, but having said that the kick down only played up on me twice, early days since I've had it reset so if anything changes or plays up I'll post up what problems I'm having?
Hope your kick down problem gets sorted Colin.
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom