4x4 drivers...arrrrrh [edit- some 4x4 owners]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats because you're not female, on the school run and looking forward to meeting your friends at Costa Coffee after your nails/spray tan appointment.

Don't let Mrs D hear you say that!! :D

oooh bugger typing this I've just split a nail,

right I'm off in the ML tomorrow to get it sorted.

:)

Hardly anyone uses their car to their full potential anyway...how many AMGs are thrashed around a track or to their top speed. I wish people would be honest about their reasons for buying 4x4s.... most do it (like me) because they like them. I like the way my ML looks, sounds and how spacious it is...that's it. Shall I go off road? No.

Hardly anyone uses their car to their full potential anyway...how many AMGs are thrashed around a track or to their top speed. I wish people would be honest about their reasons for buying 4x4s.... most do it (like me) because they like them. I like the way my ML looks, sounds and how spacious it is...that's it. Shall I go off road? No.

True but going through a puddle and taking advantage of a high ground clearance is hardly off roading!!

Having said that most SUV's have a very low potential when it comes to actual off roading so the puddle might prove the ultimate challange ;) !!!

I'd bet that 99% of AMG owners have used the power advantage they have over average cars at some point or another so why don't the 4x4 owners use their cars advantages over average cars.

Its nice knowing you CAN, but you don't have to use its advantage.

I don't think the 4*4 debate will ever go away, people will always have something to say and why not its all good.

My last car was a 330ci Bmw and I reached its limit once in Europe (top speed) in the UK I find that I actually drive that car slower than other cars just cruising round.

With my ML I feel so much safer on a busy motorway with family in back and trucks all around especially when its throwing it down. It also pulls our van with ease and fits an awful lot of stuff in it. I'm quite happy with its performance and it has been know that I drove up a kerb once :)

Many people probably drive large engined mercs (or whatever) and don't use anything like the performance, heck my dad has a 500SL and doubt thats been above 80 (sorry 70). Does he care? NO.

Very few owners of newer 4x4's will go off road as their car is too expensive if damaged, in the same way very few AMG car owners will put their cars on the track to get any where near the potential. Most will probably only ever do the traffic light run...or join a slip road giving it beans.

I've been a passenger in a E55 estate several times and legal speeds are reached so quick it would be hard to use the power on normal roads. Overtaking me on a A road towing the van is possibly one time it would be handy.

My next car may well be a 'quick' estate of some sort but for me its the looks and knowing it can go quick is enough, I don't HAVE to drive it that way. My ML as Gucci does what I want for now and I like the looks.

Just drive what you want and enjoy it. We will never agree, but having owned sports cars, hatchbacks, 4x4's and convertible I have enjoyed them all as they suit what I wanted at the time.

right I'm going to order some spray on mud for my ML...

Let us be clear: an unprepared 4x4 has quite a modest wading capacity.

My Land Cruiser is fitted with off road tyres and coupled without the suspension mods has a rating wading depth of 700mm although it will do up to 1m of water with care and proper technique.

A suspension lift helps a bit but by "prepared" I mean waterproofing of electrics (diesels included), a snorkel, carpets out, rubber mats in and fitting of easy to use and access drain plugs!

And yes I never cease to be depressed by the Surrey ladies in their highly polished wagons. My wife actually quite likes parking our mud encrusted and dog laden beast up next to the many poncey 4x4 offerings to shame them

Since the thing is out of warranty and I have now joined an off road club
my planned spring Mod. will result in it looking very much like this, aaprt from colour of course :devil:

Last edited:
Its nice knowing you CAN, but you don't have to use its advantage.

I don't think the 4*4 debate will ever go away, people will always have something to say and why not its all good.

My last car was a 330ci Bmw and I reached its limit once in Europe (top speed) in the UK I find that I actually drive that car slower than other cars just cruising round.

With my ML I feel so much safer on a busy motorway with family in back and trucks all around especially when its throwing it down. It also pulls our van with ease and fits an awful lot of stuff in it. I'm quite happy with its performance and it has been know that I drove up a kerb once :)

Many people probably drive large engined mercs (or whatever) and don't use anything like the performance, heck my dad has a 500SL and doubt thats been above 80 (sorry 70). Does he care? NO.

Very few owners of newer 4x4's will go off road as their car is too expensive if damaged, in the same way very few AMG car owners will put their cars on the track to get any where near the potential. Most will probably only ever do the traffic light run...or join a slip road giving it beans.

I've been a passenger in a E55 estate several times and legal speeds are reached so quick it would be hard to use the power on normal roads. Overtaking me on a A road towing the van is possibly one time it would be handy.

My next car may well be a 'quick' estate of some sort but for me its the looks and knowing it can go quick is enough, I don't HAVE to drive it that way. My ML as Gucci does what I want for now and I like the looks.

Just drive what you want and enjoy it. We will never agree, but having owned sports cars, hatchbacks, 4x4's and convertible I have enjoyed them all as they suit what I wanted at the time.

right I'm going to order some spray on mud for my ML...

You're perfectly right with what you say but this thread has gone a little off course.

Rahter than being an anti 4x4 rant all I was moaning about was that 4x4 owners avoided a puddle (nothing like the clip posted by marcos) that I drove straight through in a BMW 5 series with M-Tec sports suspension and 18" wheels with low profile tyres. I also suffered no mud splashes up the side of my car and even the water splashes barely touched the car's sills.

It's like being stuck behind an SL55 beacuse the driver is worried about the cars overtaking performance. :)

Last edited:
True but going through a puddle and taking advantage of a high ground clearance is hardly off roading!!

Having said that most SUV's have a very low potential when it comes to actual off roading so the puddle might prove the ultimate challange ;) !!!

I'd bet that 99% of AMG owners have used the power advantage they have over average cars at some point or another so why don't the 4x4 owners use their cars advantages over average cars.

The car does get used off road a fair bit actually but you really have to know it's limits. I have driven across fields recently with a police technician that I would never have tackled 6 months ago to get to the Police antenna system boosters.
If it had off-road tyres and higher suspension I would risk it more but having someone with me who knows his stuff has been invaluable.
I must admit that the off road performance of my car has amazed me, it's an awfull lot better than I thought.

I know exactly how you feel...living near Chigwell, same thing with big puddles.

It annoys the hell out of me, especially since I can wade through it just fine in my 5-Series with 17's and a 10mm lowering drop with no splashes on the side.

will result in it looking very much like this, aaprt from colour of course :devil:

I hope you don't mean a Bull Bar. Those things are lethal and completely unneccesary for off roading. They should be banned....Oh hang on, they are....:crazy:

The winch is a good mod though.

So the pro/anti 4X4 arguement rages on, the crox of the matter is people want them for safety (not all 4X4s are safe, look at older discos, I would have more protection in a packet of discos!) or because it makes them feel good, so why do they need to cart around all this extra transmission and weight? for image, if a car company released a big 4X4 looking vehicle that was only front wheel drive which reduced its carbon footprint and servicing costs etc (think of the service cost of replacing the oil in the transfer box that has never been used in anger - car companies are laughing at you for selling you stuff you dont need!!!) it simply wouldnt sell, all the show but none of the go etc, but the go is never used, so you basically have a useless vehicle, handles like a barge on road, useless of road, if I ever have the need to cart around lots of kit or god forbid end up having kids then I will opt for an estate merc, or one of these;

people this is a real off roader going through a real puddle,

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...8&start=0&num=100&so=0&type=search&plindex=94

This one better shows the 'safety' of a 4x4.....

See below...VVV

Last edited:
:crazy: i defo use my GL as it was designed for where possible 4ft of water or off road tracks and even on tarmac roads (lol) regards jon 4X4 ROCK:bannana: but do agree some people do drive them like pansies

I hope you don't mean a Bull Bar. Those things are lethal and completely unneccesary for off roading. They should be banned....Oh hang on, they are....:crazy:

The winch is a good mod though.

No, in the UK it is just the ARB winch bumper with cut down front end as shown to allow a better approach angle but without the extra ironmongery.

Thats because you're not female, on the school run and looking forward to meeting your friends at Costa Coffee after your nails/spray tan appointment.

:p

Hey! My W124 estate went in for some work last week, I was given a (sshhh!) citroen c1 as a "courtesy" car. Yeah baby! Grateful as I was to have transport, it is somewhat smaller than the purple beast that I have grown to love and cherish! :D Now, being female (and a cricket coach), I should say I drove through some great floods in Warks last week, tidal waves over the bonnet (not hard in that little box) were an understatement! Adrenalin rush I think, not knowing how deep the floods were, but fun all the same! :) :crazy: :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom