5G Networks Pros & Cons - Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The research bit.
Some one commissions it, so their interest in the findings is of relevance.
The Universities are often the 'accredited' source of information. But they are no more than contractors.

"Research into the safety concerns around the 5g infrastructure.
Carried out by the Buxton Technology University of Advanced Flower Arranging."

TBH with the results of our search for information all too often has as much value as D Icke.

Last edited:
so I really don't see the point of changing , nor do I want to pay any more , which 5G almost certainly would cost .
5G will become the new standard and replace 4G, you won’t be paying anymore imo.

To all the people asking what is the point in infrastructure upgrading to 5G, do you not recall 20 years ago with Nokia's that could hold 10 SMS messages and have Snake on them?

Are you still using them? - Did you write your forum messages on this thread on a Smartphone?

Its called progress without it we dont move forward.

Due to the location accuracy of 5G and improvements in GPS, I don't think criminals will like being pinpointed at the scenes of crime :cool:

I wouldn't be surprised if the "govmint" mandated that everyone had to have their mobiles with them all the time ;)

Due to the location accuracy of 5G and improvements in GPS, I don't think criminals will like being pinpointed at the scenes of crime :cool:

I wouldn't be surprised if the "govmint" mandated that everyone had to have their mobiles with them all the time ;)

Isn't that pretty much micro chipping the population?
In case we are let off the lead, run after sheep and get lost in't hills.

Isn't that pretty much micro chipping the population?
In case we are let off the lead, run after sheep and get lost in't hills.

The social 'massaging/manipulation' implications kind of look quite scary. Right now we have a certain degree of liberty and freedom of action through consent. On the one hand it sounds attractive to introduce smart systems that reduce crime. On the other hand, criminal endeavours always seem to find a way to circumvent well intended initiatives. One aspect of 'Big Brother' technology is that I guess it could be used for good or bad depending on who has their hands on the levers at the time.

The social 'massaging/manipulation' implications kind of look quite scary. Right now we have a certain degree of liberty and freedom of action through consent. On the one hand it sounds attractive to introduce smart systems that reduce crime. On the other hand, criminal endeavours always seem to find a way to circumvent well intended initiatives. One aspect of 'Big Brother' technology is that I guess it could be used for good or bad depending on who has their hands on the levers at the time.

The trouble there is it agrees some with the conspiracy theorists that there is a plot to control us all.
In the main that has been achieved 'recently', but to the rest of us that don't share such theories we see that the capitalist desires of the West need us to be freely spending our easily earned dosh to generate the wealth of the capitalists.
While it is somewhat artificial it's preferable to communism that has the majority riding black push bikes.
No mass demand for carbon fuels,
no big tellies,
less of an entertainment industry....

The trouble there is it agrees some with the conspiracy theorists that there is a plot to control us all.
In the main that has been achieved 'recently', but to the rest of us that don't share such theories we see that the capitalist desires of the West need us to be freely spending our easily earned dosh to generate the wealth of the capitalists.
While it is somewhat artificial it's preferable to communism that has the majority riding black push bikes.
No mass demand for carbon fuels,
no big tellies,
less of an entertainment industry....

Yep, that is the problem. The absence of a clear, transparent, accountable masterplan that serves the many, gives traction to conspiracy theorists that there is a more clandestine masterplan designed to benefit the few.

Really? I would...

Or if you go out without your phone and are implicated in something. The first thing the police will ask - what reason can you give us for not taking your mobile with you on that occasion?

On a different angle, some of the so-called benefits of 5G seem somewhat spurious to me. Basically just providing functionality for the sake of it because the network can support it.

WDADLIB? - Because it can.

Examples:
Streaming 8K video. Can anybody really see any difference between 4K and 8K? I've looked at HD and 4K side by side on the same 42" screen from a normal viewing distance of 10ft. Cannot see any difference. On a 60" screen from the same distance I can, but I seriously doubt I'd see any benefit from 8K at that screen size and distance. I defy anyone to tell the difference between HD, 4K or 8K on their mobile device. Streaming 4K to a decent sized screen I get, but 8K to a mobile phone or tablet, FFS. Overkill or what!!

I'm also not convinced that we need an IoT (internet of things) for everything in our lives.
Internet of things - Wikipedia

Do I really need my washing machine to 'communicate' with the dishwasher?

On the other hand assuming we adopt EVs on a wide enough basis, communication will probably be useful for smart charging so that the grid doesn't get taken out at 6:00pm everyday. Not sure this needs to be over a 5G network though.

So again, I think there needs to be a more defined strategy of what actually needs the benefits of super-duper high speed xG comms networks. Otherwise the marketers will ensure that every little thing we own that has electronics in it will be 'connected' to give some sort of imaginary benefit.

......... if you worked in the IT industry then you should have a basic grasp of what improvements it offers. even non IT people would understand this.

I work in the IT industry and do not agree that advances in technology are just for company profits..
I agree there are benefits to 5g but do we need them. I didn't say tech advances were just for profits, I said they were mainly for company profits. :)

Last edited:
None of them work here. I am with O2, the mrs with Vodaphone, neighbours on other networks. Its a PITA. I use wi-fi calling but that can be intermittent. We lose internet connection about 3 times a week, its been looked into so many times and its because we are at the "end of the line" apparently.
BT have been using the "end of the line" excuse for years.

On a different angle, some of the so-called benefits of 5G seem somewhat spurious to me. Basically just providing functionality for the sake of it because the network can support it.

WDADLIB? - Because it can.

Examples:
Streaming 8K video. Can anybody really see any difference between 4K and 8K? I've looked at HD and 4K side by side on the same 42" screen from a normal viewing distance of 10ft. Cannot see any difference. On a 60" screen from the same distance I can, but I seriously doubt I'd see any benefit from 8K at that screen size and distance. I defy anyone to tell the difference between HD, 4K or 8K on their mobile device. Streaming 4K to a decent sized screen I get, but 8K to a mobile phone or tablet, FFS. Overkill or what!!

I'm also not convinced that we need an IoT (internet of things) for everything in our lives.
Internet of things - Wikipedia

Do I really need my washing machine to 'communicate' with the dishwasher?

On the other hand assuming we adopt EVs on a wide enough basis, communication will probably be useful for smart charging so that the grid doesn't get taken out at 6:00pm everyday. Not sure this needs to be over a 5G network though.

So again, I think there needs to be a more defined strategy of what actually needs the benefits of super-duper high speed xG comms networks. Otherwise the marketers will ensure that every little thing we own that has electronics in it will be 'connected' to give some sort of imaginary benefit.

8k gives an imagine close to 4k image on a larger screen. Same as the benefit of having 4k on a larger screen over HD.

Soon surgeons will be able to operate on their hospital patients hundreds of miles apart using remote robotics and using crystal clear displays such as a 8k over the air. The higher the image clarity the better.

I'm sure the naysayers at the end of the last millennium complained what is the point of DVD over VHS.

^interesting, hadn't considered remote robotic surgery as an application for 8K.

That's just one of 1000s of benefits with very high bandwidths

15 years ago the idea of Streaming a video in HD would have been mind boggling. Now? Netflix etc have overtaken the antiquated terrestrial TV.

Progress is progress. Without it we might aswell live in a mud but and die of dysentery in your early 30s.

I think I part of the “self-imposed“ limits time the usefulness of 5G is that many think of 5G as being for mobile only, whereas it’s a potential replacement for all data transmission (including broadband and Wi-fi).

That's just one of 1000s of benefits with very high bandwidths

15 years ago the idea of Streaming a video in HD would have been mind boggling. Now? Netflix etc have overtaken the antiquated terrestrial TV.

Progress is progress. Without it we might aswell live in a mud but and die of dysentery in your early 30s.
Oh I'm not against the sort of progress that 5G+ and other advanced technologies promise, though I might question some of the 'reasoning' behind it.

I do think that as these systems become more powerful, pervasive and complex, their rules of use should become increasingly transparent so as to minimise even avoid potential for economic, political and criminal misuse. In other words the development in regulations needs to keep up with developments in technology.

I think I part of the “self-imposed“ limits time the usefulness of 5G is that many think of 5G as being for mobile only, whereas it’s a potential replacement for all data transmission (including broadband and Wi-fi).
If anyone has navigated to the link I shared in the initial post, there is a lot of information about 5G contained therein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom